Rate Summer Transfer Window 2021

Yeah. Or you can just ignore it existed like most ppl do :joy::joy:

StatDNA doesn’t really explain shit like Santos, Park, Gervinho, Giroud, Podolski, Arteta who were all non-Wenger those players (except Gervinho, who I think was a decent player who would have been better in a different era).

Wenger had stopped building a proper squad long before StatDNA.

2 Likes

Still all low risk signings tho.

If we had signed Aubameyang rather than Lacazette, it would have meant we would have had a proven top level striker a season earlier and the 60m we wasted on Lacazette could have been spent on Mahrez or Kante or both.

We would have had an attack of Ozil, Sanchez, Mahrez and Aubameyang for the same money and not be lumbered with Lacazette.

We would also been able to attract better players than Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez who we got in the following window.

Wenger wouldn’t get the best players as they didn’t “meet with his valuation.” so he ended up spending more money, because the cheaper players were so poor they needed replacing and we’re still stuck with some of them.
It was a false economy we’re still paying for.

If we had bought the likes of Aubameyang earlier, then the likes of Mahrez and Kante, we would have a much better chance of winning the title while spending around the same amount.

But we wasted so much money on dross rather than genuine quality, we’ve got ourselves in a situation where we can’t attract anyone decent because all our best players have left.

3 Likes

Weren’t Giroud and Podolski stat DNA signings as well?
Agree about Gervinho tho. Was a decent player. Just didn’t click for him at Arsenal.

What a painful, tragic sentence.

7 Likes

Let’s revisit this after 2 months of viewing the new players.

Where do you stand now?

I will stick to my assessment

The players are really solid finds and they will be useful even if Arteta is sacked and someone else comes in.

Ramsdale looks every bit worth the money we paid for him, I had my concerns about that.

5 Likes

Although the early signs are extremely promising, I think waiting till the end of season before passing judgement would be more sensible. That 2018 summer window looked mighty sexy too at the start, with Guendo the 70 Million pounds startlet, Torreira the new Cazorla, Leno being better that Neuer and Sokratis the no nonsense Greek warrior. Looking back 3 years later, turned out to be one of our shittiest transfer windows.

8 Likes

True.