Random football stuff

Right so as a NHS worker you’re very likely to be carrying covid or contacting it.

Let’s take my partner for example her job is to look after premature babies, but it got so fucking busy, kids got moved into waiting rooms so dying people can be moved into her ward, staff shortages due to you know illness and dying made it so she had to help with the people dealing with the dying patients.

Majority of people in the NHS don’t deal with Critical care patients so it’s not their fucking job deal with it logic, makes no sense. Dumb ass argument

Ontop of all that she couldn’t see family members either because of her increased risk, she couldn’t see sick loved ones

Onto of that, she was in the high risk category but had to just risk it to help people. Because that’s what they had to do to save others.

3 Likes

Yeah this is one of the jobs I could never do, even if the pay was amazing. My nephew was born at 28 weeks, pre COVID, so I saw quite a bit inside one of the wards and even then I had no idea how those women did what did. So fair play for her for that.

1 Like

Hmmm see I can’t agree with this. Almost everyone involved in primary and secondary care has been persuaded into doing extra hours. This time last year, they had to forego bank holidays, for example.

The general attitude they took to it was one of positivity. Hence the good feeling towards them.

As for the Blitz, strangely enough, it’s the closest we’ve been to that sort of situation. A lockdown, numerous deaths, life as we knew it coming to a standstill.

Key workers have gone the extra mile here.

1 Like

Not only that but like I said alot never dealt with death, there’s specific wards where people on critical care go, certain Dr’s and nurses. Alot never had to deal with deaths, and then to be thrown into a chaotic work environment where death is literally everywhere… when I hear her/friends talk about it, it fills me with dread and I respect all of them so much for it.

7 Likes

They have my respect as someone has to do them jobs. If no one wanted to work in hospitals we’d all be fucked

4 Likes

Exactly, mate. :+1:

So I’ve gotten quite friendly with my postie, Jane, and we talk everyday when she swings by with my Mail. She got Covid from a household on her rounds and was off sick for 2 weeks (and it seemed like a really bad bout) and listening to how things are Royal Mail have been it seems like they are severely overworked not least because of the massive Corona-related increase in packages etc. When I speak to her it honestly sounds like her quality of life has been reduced mainly due to how covid has affected her working conditions.

Delivery drivers having to work loads of overtime to try and make all the deliveries etc. also springs to mind.

Look, the way I see it is that I work a fucking cushty desk job that pays a nice salary and gives me plenty of time and freedom to myself. I don’t mind some poor bastard getting a free ticket to a football match if it means I don’t have to get coughed on while delivering a package and getting covid or intubating some dying old granny. I don’t want to do those jobs, because they are hard and they are backbreaking and they don’t pay well and I am so thankful someone does do those jobs.

IMO a free ticket to an event of some kind is literally the least we can do as a society, let alone after the last year.

I’ve been working from home, chilling with my dog, working out, reading in my garden, while many of these people were staring down the barrel of a proverbial gun so by all means give them all the free tickets lol

Although obviously once this mess is over the free tickets stop.

6 Likes

Don’t misunderstand me bro, I’m not saying what they do shouldn’t be appreciated or isn’t hard. I just don’t think they are heroes, I’m sorry if you took offence to it because that’s not my intention, but this pandemic has lowered my opinion of the medical profession in general. (Not talking to about nurses who work at the maternity ward) but this whole key worker thing is a joke which basically includes the most ridiculous jobs.

In regards to emotional toll and how hard this pandemic has been, This time last year my wife was pregnant I was stuck abroad and unable to come back because of the travel restrictions, My wife had to go to the appointments on her own, wasn’t even allowed to have her mom or my sister with her for support, then when I finally managed to get back, no one was allowed to go the hospital with her She had to give birth to a dead child on her own, wasn’t allowed to even stay with her until she was ready to say goodbye was basically pushed out, 3 days later we had to bury her and I never even got to hold her. To me that’s a massive emotional toll, for my wife it’s even bigger and there are thousands out there like me and my wife in much much worse positions.

14 Likes

This desk is now probably in your house aswell :joy: us office workers have had it easy lol

1 Like

Yeah no joke, spent £16 on an IKEA desk lol

My workplace offered us desk chairs, monitors, keyboards etc. I didn’t take them up on it, but all things considered I’ve come out of this pandemic on top to be honest.

1 Like

That’s horrendous, so sorry you and your wife had to go through that :broken_heart:

1 Like

Ikea special here aswell haha. Chair and desk plus I got myself a cheap wireless mouse from amazon.

Finally got two screens again aswell after plugging along with just the one the past year lol

I am working like a king :sunglasses:

1 Like

Will those arsenal tickets be free? :eyes:

1 Like

Condolences brother, you’re one of the most positive and likeable dudes on here so it really shows no one knows what other people are going through at all -the morale of the pandemic is we should all just be better to ourselves and each other. I hope things get easier for you and your family.

9 Likes

I don’t like to talk about personal issues because end of the day it’s a football forum, and I’m a private person. But my point was this pandemic has been hard on everyone, there’s this idea that we should all be grateful because we’ve had basically a year off work and got to stay at home. But truth is millions of people have lost everything, marriages, family, jobs and mental health. The effects of this pandemic has been felt by everyone and it will last a long time. Fair enough give the “key” workers free tickets or whatever, I don’t really care about that. But everyone who makes it through this madness to should be commended, not just the guy who delivers my post or works at the local Tesco. For me, despite that experience (which is one of the worst for me, and I’ve been to Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya) at least I got my wife and kids, and my family and am well off enough to live comfortably. God knows what less fortunate people have been and are going thru!

Love you all though @SpankyJoyJoy hope you ain’t upset broski was trying to offend or insult you.

14 Likes

Sorry but this has been an offensive thread. Just going back to my privileged job and enjoy the normalcy of finishing work and using the reduced train service that gets me half way home and walk the last two half miles from there.
Hope the internet signal stays strong for you though.

10 Likes

Agree with you on this, mate.

I’m sure that the term key workers wasn’t thought up overnight. The government had to decide who was and what constituted a key worker to keep the backbone of the nation going.

1 Like

Sorry if you feel that way mate, don’t think anyone was trying to be offensive or call you privileged or insult you or anything like that! I wasn’t personally talking about anyone here or any job specifically (don’t even know what anyone here does?!). Think it was just mostly ranting from everyone and it spiralled into something else (as is always the case on here :joy:)

You know we all love you bro :pray:t4:

2 Likes

Appreciate the sentiment mate but damage done here tonight as far as am concerned. Won’t be forgotten I promise the forum that.
Leave it there shall I because being fucking judged on your job seems too be a thing tonight.

3 Likes

I wish instead of this stupid kudos and clapping bollocks where key workers are getting a virtual handjob every odd week, we, as a comment btry just valued everyone’s job a bit more, paid everyone fairly and gave them sufficient holidays.

2 Likes