Random football stuff

Guys a knob.

1 Like

There’ll be starving kids grateful Marcus Rashford thinks differently

7 Likes

I serve you Trump.

There has to be a proper degree/qualification to be a politician.

That’s not really the same thing he was discussing imo.

And Lebron responds…

2 Likes

He’s spot on there ngl

On domestic issues, LBJ is the most conscious athletes I’ve ever seen and he consistently backs it up in terms of actions and investment.

Just don’t go after China!

2 Likes

Funny enough, Steven Adams (now from the Pelicans) said something along these lines on a podcast. Of course that went unnoticed:

“You kind of get detached from reality because a lot of a people will just, like, kiss your ass. And you know, you’re the funny guy. They laugh at all your jokes. You become a lot more handsome. You know, this is what comes with the NBA logo. If you wear it, it’s quite amazing. But it’s just not reality though. You know what I mean? It is for your stint, I guess. But for whatever else it’s not. So that culture change is really crazy, especially in America too. The athletes here are held really high, and a lot of players should be, once they reach a certain level. But it kind of goes across everything. Some people look at them for political guidance. Moral guidance. It’s just like, maybe just maybe just for the sport, look for this dude. But for some other things go to some of these other guys.”

Barkley also said that he shouldn’t be looked at as role model in the 80s. Caused quite the stir. Not every celeb athlete seems to agree with LeBron. Which should be fine.

I do kind of get it though.

I do get quite tired of celebrities and athletes often running their mouth about shit they don’t have a full understanding of and negatively influencing matters that they don’t have a grasp of.

Some of these people are fucking idiots and shouldn’t comment on politics lol

What Rashford did was amazing and admirable but I think that falls under charity more than anything else tbf

4 Likes

Yeah just on a side note, it was always an interesting contrast see NBA people say kinds of crazy things about Trump but go quiet on human rights abuses on china.

You can’t talk about Xi in china like that lol. I’m grateful I live in a free society

2 Likes

Can’t really back this up with examples but to me it speaks about how bankrupt the American political system is. Or maybe their ideology (you have to fend for yourself and if you’re poor that is on you). They need these guys to step up for the middle class and the poor otherwise nobody else does.

1 Like
8 Likes

I think it falls under the banner of campaigning, he influenced a change in government policy on the topic twice, I’d say that’s more accurate than describing his efforts as charity work.

1 Like

In my eyes THE best centre back I had the pleasure to watch. Also technically one of the very best. Btw, going back to 1999 or so, I can’t imagine how much would a 23 year old, technically strong CB, who was the best player of a team that won the best league in the world at that time… cost nowadays?! :pires2: 200M seems like a good start?! :bergkamp:

5 Likes

Great player Schuster whose reputation would have been elevated much higher if he had not fallen out with the DFB.
Won a Euros though and was outstanding in it.

1 Like

The best I’ve ever seen. So elegant, read the game like no other, artistic slide tackles.

He had everything you want in a defender. That’s why when people talk about the “modern CBs” I think to myself - a lot of these CBs could pass the ball and start attacks and are comfortable on the ball. But unlike a lot of these modern CBs they can defend well too.

4 Likes

I think people nowadays highlight that technical quality of the CBs too much, well, because managers demand more in that sense because of modern tactics, playing out from back, high press from the attacker.
But thinking about it more I don’t thinl CBs got better technically at all, you could even argue whether they got worse. In the 90s,or 00s, also going more in the past, you always had plenty of CBs who were brilliant on the ball, but people didn’t rave about it like nowadays.
Damn, just remembered a guy like Lucio who used to make brilliant runs and dribbles all the time and get into shooting positions…
And on the other hand also, these days so many CBs, evem at known clubs, are so limited with the ball, not even going to smaller clubs… Imo they absolutely haven’t improved in the technical sense at all.

5 Likes

It’s a decent podcast that but don’t listen to it if poor sound quality annoys you.

6 Likes