'Project Big Picture'

Exactly.

I hate the sanctimonious shit Liverpool come out with about being a club of the people.

If they were, they wouldn’t come out with this spiel and they would have voted, like Leicester, against PPV airing of matches

1 Like

18 team league idea I disagree with.

Also more power in the big clubs hands is bad.

The premier League is so successful due to the equality teams enjoy, compared to the awful leagues overseas.

Let’s not ruin that.

4 Likes

See you have to get away from the Liverpool united thing though mate. The big teams including Arsenal are part of this.
Your pointing out Leicester yesterday 19 other teams went the other way.
Arsenal, united, Liverpool, City , Chelsea, run or ruin football now.
Whatever rivalry fans have with one and other, the clubs themselves basically sing from the same balance/hymn sheet.

As I understand it, the plan would redistribute a big chunk of the revenue that most PL clubs rely on to compete, while leaving untouched revenue sources like commercial where there is a very big gap between the biggest clubs - with, unsurprisingly, United and Liverpool the top two - and everybody else.

Basically, this plan would give United and Liverpool a big competitive advantage over any club that relies relatively more than them on Premier League revenue, which is every other club (except maybe City). No thanks.

I’m all for distributing more money to the EFL, but why not a revenue tax on Premier League clubs that forces them to contribute X percent of all revenue, not just league sources?

2 Likes

A luxury tax makes way more sense. I like that idea. :+1:

4 Likes

The only place I ever see this is on here. It’s pretty easy to avoid.

What’s the argument for both an 18 team league and no league cup?

Just to free up time for an international money grab tournament?

Oh my brain has only just joined the dots - I’m guessing the money that they’re going to “give” to the EFL is basically going to come out of what the bottom 2 PL clubs would have earned? Generous :joy:

3 Likes

My personal argument for it is to reduce the number of fixtures teams are expected to play in a given season and I’d also reduce the number of international friendlies but obviously that’s a FIFA thing.

1 Like

And the UEFA with their “Nations League” (like EC and WC qualifiers weren’t enough), that no one gives a rats ass about.

This whole proposal stinks money and greed. The smaller clubs down the league pyramid will get more money then before yes. But the big clubs will get even more percentage wise. Sad.

2 Likes

For sure.

For the club to charge the highest for a season ticket that you’d have to remortgage for, and watch the most dour, uncreative football at that price, is a bitter pill to swallow

1 Like

The nation’s league didn’t add any extra fixtures though. Unless you were a team who didn’t tend to play friendlies.

The nations league has been a great idea. I can get more into the Scotland games when its competitive and not pointless friendly games

Without endorsing the package I’d say coming into line with the rest of Europe league wise 18 teams would be wise.
Think personally where top heavy with quantity. Upping the stakes for staying up improves the quality by a fair bit tbh.

I think Germany is the only 18 team league left from the top leagues.

1 Like

I agree with this.

The nations league works as competitive games to try and forge your best team.

One thing that we might miss out on is European nations playing against south Americans and African nations. Maybe save those sort of friendlies pre-World Cup?

Anyway, one thing I’d advocate is ANY international game being played on a Wednesday. No international breaks. Always play domestic football every single weekend. This allows for the season to finish sooner and a winter break. (I say this every year when the autumnal international break comes along lol)

Oh fair play on that then my mistake. Stick by the quality would improve a bit more if we reduced. Stand corrected though.

Don’t disagree with that part. But, I also don’t think it’s remotely important either. Having 7/8 rather than 9/10 teams scrapping to stay up doesn’t change much.

Crap changes and yeh its a power grab disguised in sheep’s clothing. Fuck the CL and the PL making changes to accommodate it.

3 Likes

If you have an athletic subscription this is a great read on it.

2 Likes

No deal

5 Likes