Post Coronavirus world

When ever the day comes that covid19 has been brought under control by something do you think the world will dramatically change or go back to how it was in say 2019.

Do you think some of the stuff we do now will stay after the pandemic.

I hope remote working becomes a proper thing. I don’t ever want to have to commute to go back into the office again and I shudder at the thought of ever having to do it again.

7 Likes

The questions are, will we develop a cure, treatment and will it mutate? Or could we get a worse outbreak. of something worse?

The pay rise I got just through not having to commute isn’t something I’m looking forward to giving up

6 Likes

I think people wearing masks with underlying health conditions will become a thing for many now.
Personal hygiene should become a thing as well and help in contagion for other things.

2 Likes

I quit my job and am about to start working fully remote for a company who didn’t have any fully remote workers before. Also applied for a job I didn’t get at another company doing the exact same thing, so a few companies are definitely shifting their stance.

In some industries I think people are going to expect to have the option of at least some days working from home going forward so even companies that weren’t keen may be forced into it if they want to hire people.

5 Likes

Wearing a mask won’t actually protect them if others aren’t wearing masks mate.

No but I think @Stroller is right. People who stand to be affected will wear them, others won’t even though that would make a big difference.

1 Like

True but people think of it in a psychological way imo.

BBC did a good architectural vision of office life in 2025 and I thought it was cool.

I’d very much be open to office based work when it’s only for the purpose of commercial engagement.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed it goes back to the way it was, with the exceptions being people are better with hygiene and those that can work from home able to exercise that to a certain degree.

1 Like

We have to take better care of the natural world, that has to be first and foremost.

Otherwise this was just level one of what is in store for us.

10 Likes

I think more transparency and cooperation between countries is needed. We can’t have countries hiding or playing down outbreaks of viruses (that potentially can become world pandemics). I’m sure scientists at hospitals and universities all over the world are very open to sharing data and cooperating more efficiently. The only thing holding that back are a few politicians who know nothing about diplomacy.

Basic personal hygiene must keep on improving. In Sweden we didn’t close schools and kindergartens, but put in measures to ensure that both grown ups and kids washed their hands multiple times every day. Even with the mildest symptoms (of any disease) kids and parents stayed home! This spring there’s been no outbreaks of stomach flu at any school or kindergarten in my town. Which is pretty amazing considering pre covid every year was a disaster, just because some parents only keep their kids at home if they are dead.

I also hope people realise they don’t need to fly to the other side of the world for a vacation. Like I’ve said before, I have friends who consider it part of their basic human rights flying to Thailand every year. The amount of stress we’ve put on the environment is pretty amazing.

Speaking of stress, maybe we can reflect on this pandemic and shift our priorities. Many of us have been given the “opportunity” to work fewer hours per week and work from home without commute. Is it worth forsaking family and personal health for a few more euros each month? Do you really have to buy that 70” tv for €5.500? Or can you stand keeping your 55” for a couple of more years?

12 Likes

Agree with a lot of what you say, but don’t think we should consider a holiday to Thailand (for example) a luxury. We really are in danger of over exaggerating this virus, there have been worse viruses before this and the world has got smaller, let’s not over exaggerate what we face or how it will change humanity

4 Likes

I agree with most of what you’ve said there and this in particular tickled me. I actually have the opposite problem, my tv really is too big for the room it is in but tough shit, I’m just gonna have to wait until it doesn’t work any more to address that.

I do agree with this also, to an extent at least, because most of us will likely only go somewhere like Thailand once in our lives. That’s not a luxury, if you’re doing it every year it is.

3 Likes

The phenomenon where tvs just have to be enormous for people really passed me by until recently as I haven’t owned one in years but my other half has one that is small by today’s standards but which I still think is comically large.

1 Like

Everything would go back to almost the same way with few things here and there. I can already see Europe going back to normalcy. But there have to be different cultural nuances that might be affected.

I feel

• Professional life is definitely altered with increased acceptance of remote working.
  • There would be a reduced need for business trips as video conferencing is well adapted to, which would affect the hospitality industry.
  • Service industry will have less willing employees in future.
  • Countries will definitely be more willing participants in securing better medical information, safeguarding nature, introducing measures to make sure wet market don’t trigger another pandemic.
  • Visa procedure for Asians might become more tedious :frowning_face:
1 Like

What do you mean with this?

So we shouldn’t now consider long haul flights as something that should be limited or restricted long term because of the the virus. In reality a flight to thailand is no more dangerous than a trip to france

1 Like

It makes sense. Companies can downsize, reducing rent and tax. And employees can work from home, eliminating commuting altogether.