Players you feel are underappreciated

I loved him for his attitude.

2 Likes

I remember watching an episode of Football’s Greatest (or whatever its called on Sky Sports) on Michael Laudrup. The way he was spoken about by other people great players and pundits, and some of the clips they showed were simply astounding yet he doesn’t really ever get mentioned in many conversations as a great.

His random retirement was strange, he ended up missing the Danes’ European Championship success in 92 but irrespective of that, still a player held in extremely high regard but his name doesn’t come up much.

2 Likes

I think Ben Mee is underappreciated to a degree, when they big up Burnley’s defenders he hardly ever gets a mention.

All these years he’s been the constant in the heart of Burnley’s defence and yet it’s Keane, Tarkowski that get the plaudits and subsequent call ups to the national team.

1 Like

Yea, I’ve come across it before. I’m still not sure if there was a league full of Mourinho’s or if Baggio has to carry some blame. Ofcourse our beloved Henry was a wingback for Juve, which sounds like a Mourinho joke, but wasn’t

Also imagine if he went to the PL instead of Brescia.

Although this article makes you realise how playing with great players brings on young players. Pirlo played with Baggio. Zola played with Maradona. Would all those Barce youngsters have been as good without world class talent around them?

Paco Alcacer.

Good call, Laudrup was bloody awesome.

John Fashnu.

1 Like

Not a player but Florentino Perez.

How many CLs is that during his presidency? 5?

Also consistently thinks about the club’s success, first and foremost.

Nobody could affect that objective.

Best sports executive round imo. Surely everyone would love him in charge of the club they support?

1 Like

He is more forgotten player really but for injuries this lad could of been a very special talent. Paulo Futre really exciting player at his best. Game was robbed of a top footballer even though he was round for a fair amount of time.
Injuries blighted him when he was always getting into a run of form.

How did Lee Dixon not get more England caps than he did?

This was why I posted that… :sunglasses:

The only player to have played for Barcelona and Real Madrid and to still be widely loved by both even to this day.

His biggest issue was that, like Ozil, he never pulled the trigger in front of goal even when he could - he was always looking for the pass and the assist. I think if he scored more goals he’d be higher rated but honestly if you speak to most football afficinados above the age of 35 they all have Laudrup pretty high on their list.

The guy had an incredible career - Lazio, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Ajax.

1 Like

Ray Parlour
Nigel Winterburn
Lee Dixon
Steve Bould
Martin Keown

All very under rated and absolute legends in my memory only a breath away from the Adams, Wrights, Vieras and Henry’s of this world

2 Likes

Olivier Giroud.

1 Like

Agreed.

White drogba.

For me Bernado Silva is one of the best players in the world. #Elite

1 Like

I’ll take the fall on this one. Liked him at Monaco, thought he flopped at City but made a great comeback this season as #8/#10.

Compared to Winterburn, he got quite a few.
The problem Winterburn had, was he was up against Pearce, who was almost a fixture in the England team.

I always thought Wright should have got more caps as well.

2 Likes

Rumours that was race related. I mean that was a good generation of forwards with Shearer, Sherringham, Fowler, Owen, Andy Cole but Wright was as good as any of them. The fact Cole and Wright couldn’t get a look in was weird but TBH it was equally as baffling that a prime Fowler couldn’t because he was lethal.

I almost forgot Stan Collymore looked like he was going to be the best of the lot, he has to be perfect for this thread

Graham Taylor definitely wasn’t a bigot, remember him telling off some fans for them abusing Barnes. But Wright should of been in the 92 squad when Merson, Smith and Clough were.

He should of been in the '96 squad ahead of Ferdinand and arguably should of been starting ahead of Sherringham. Although Sherringham did play a role in providing for Shearer.

Shearer himself went on a streak when he didn’t score for England although I think he was nearing a goal a game during that time for Blackburn.

2 Likes

This is a very strong rumour, especially during the Venables days.

Graham Taylor liked playing Wright, as did Hoddle. In fact, wasn’t Wright considered to be Shearer’s strike partner ahead of France 98 and then Wright got injured in a nothing game we had v Liverpool?