Players outside the 'big 6' who will shine?

Another one should be Trossard. Led Genk to the title in Belgian League.

4 Likes

Well for the past three season the points gap between 6th and 7th has been 9 points, 9 points and 8 points, with the comparative goal differences between these two positions often being significant.

So the fact that sixth place consistently appears to finish comfortably above 7th place is probably where the narrative rose from.

Recent seventh place sides like Wolves and Burnley have the seasons of their lives and finish nine points off Man U and Arsenal sides who are having some of the worst seasons in their recent histories, this will also add to the narrative of there being a big gulf between sides in the top six and those outside it. Teams outside the top six can perform to the best of their abilities while teams in it perform about as badly as they can, yet they still finish comfortably ahead of the rest of the pack.

Would be good to hear a counter argument cos right now I’m not sure why you’re so baffled lol

1 Like

The gap between City and the rest was massive as well but Liverpool cut in real close and the rest closed in as well(still not a gap to challenge btw). As a football follower who see madness occur every year I would’ve expected some to have more of an open mind.
The ‘promising’ sides I’ve mentioned have been going through a transition the past years trying to emulate a ‘big team’ pedigree rather than being just tougher ‘sit at the back and hopefully we get a point’ side. Just a glance at their sides shows and you see teams that could be doing rounds in any other league.
They’ve absolutely got a chance to break in.

Think he’s gonna earn a move to another top 5 league but he’s gonna go down with Brighton I’m afraid.

1 Like

So during the summer after that season it would have been appropriate to say that other teams were absolutely miles off City, because they evidently were. In the course of the following season it became clear that other sides (Liverpool) had bridged that gap.

At the moment the big six are still some way above the other sides in the division, but perhaps in the course of this season we’ll see that Wolves, Leicester and West Ham might have bridged that gap. But until they do, it’s fair enough to be talking about there being a significant gap, because the evidence suggests that’s the case.

Though what I would say is that it does look like Wolves, for example, might be reducing that gap a bit, particularly with regards to head to head matches with the top sides more so than final league position and the points gap, where they’ve not closed that gap yet.

1 Like

Europa League is gonna hamper Wolves. They’ve actually played two games in it already!! Hadn’t heard a word about that.

2 Likes

Why I see the 6 being broken is that 3 of the teams Chelsea, us and United are under a fair bit of pressure this season.
Any make a bad start the press and fans are going in strong.
I’d also say spurs have not recruited any depth and could end up a bit leggy and won’t get as many last minute wins this time.
Fancy Leicester with new manager and no Europa to be there or there abouts at the end.

2 Likes

They absolutely are. They actually have shit squads with no depth. They generate considerably less revenue and are not able to retain the good players they actually end up producing / buying.

Leicester have a bang average squad with a few good players in it. The same goes for Wolves, West Ham and Everton.

There may be the odd season where one of those teams make it and the others drop out but we’re a good few years off seeing any real shift.

The worst versions of Chelsea, United and Arsenal are still considerably better than Wolves, Leicester, West Ham and Everton.

I can’t see any of the other 14 clubs getting the 65 or whatever points that are needed to break the top 6.

Every year people say it can happen and it almost never does.

Maintaining a competitive level is hard for clubs with no expectations, and qualifying for the EL is hardly a life-changing dream that’s going to keep them going.

You’re basically banking on a top 6 side being horrendous and not sacking their manager until it’s too late.

5 Likes

I’m not exactly sure how he’ll fare, but I really want Cutrone to shine at wolves. He is Milan through and through, and you could see how devastated he was in the airport video.

Milan for too long has lacked players with such heart, soul and attachment and love for the club (like Gattuso, pippo, Kaka etc). Sure his talents are average compared to Piatek but with him here it felt like we were bringing back that kinda family feeling not many clubs will ever have.

1 Like

Was definitely my shout and the reason he’s in my ff team. A few quiet links to Arsenal early in the transfer window too.

McGinn for Aston Villa? Looks like another technical Scotsman.

Haller and Fornals I’m really interested in too.

1 Like

Ravel Morrison :eyes:

Harry Wilson too if he goes to Bournemouth.

1 Like

I think ryan fraser will…isnt he out of contract soon? I reckon he will want to put himself in the shop window!

1 Like

Conor Hourihane :eyes:

Pogba

12 Likes

:joy:

Iwobi

1 Like

Tom Heaton

Pukki

1 Like