Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

He only seems to improve to me, I don’t see any worries about his age being justified at the moment.

8 Likes

All depends on how long his legs :leg: last as his speed is key to his movements

Not that I don’t agree it was a lovely finish but that’s a goal I expect a striker of Aubas class to score about 95 times out of 100 tbh given time and space he had.

1 Like

Indeed but he’s not a pace merchant as I see it though which should earn him some years beyond that. He can use both feet fairly well, he has shown great positional awareness and has amazing shooting technique.

1 Like

I don’t know, he’s a very intelligent mover, I think he might become more of an out and out poacher as he gets older but I don’t think he’ll suddenly lose it if he drops a bit of pace.

1 Like

He is just a very very good player. Best forward since van perse strings at his best

1 Like

He’s 30 but probably has the body of a 27-28 year old. He’s just so fit and he’s such a natural athlete.

I don’t want to jinx anything but I feel like he could last at the highest level a few years more than most.

2 Likes

He did feel isolated for the first half, where he played on the flanks for a fair bit.

Great finish, but he wasn’t at this best today - AMN or Guend deserved MOTM for me.

Agreed, think he’ll struggle to play on the wing for more than a couple of seasons though, so I guess he then just becomes the rotation option with Lacazette. Which is no bad thing, he’ll always be a great player to bring off the bench/start while he’s fresh.

Age is less of an issue these days I feel like it was in the past.

Ronaldo and Messi are still on top of the world.

1 Like

Aubameyang has at least 2 years left at top level in him. Which means we’d have gotten 3.5 top seasons out of him and I’m very happy with that.

There’s nothing to say he won’t still be a successful goalscorer as he progresses in age. Modern medicine, science and nutrition just means that players don’t deteriorate like they had in the past.

An elite athlete who takes care of his body year round and with good genetics will still be an elite athlete.

4 Likes

Even look at Federer and Nadal, but especially Federer, who would have thought that he would still challenge for Grand Slams at the age of 38?

Sports thanks to modern medicine, better diets, workouts and so forth has evolved.

2 Likes

Gatlin still runs sub 10 seconds in his late 30s and Bernard Hopkins was still a world champion in his late 40s.

Sport is evolving and some people are going to be able to perform for many years beyond what’s normally considered an athletes prime.

2 Likes

Auba looks sharper than he ever has done since he joined us 18 months ago.

As @SRCJJ said above, I think he still has 2 elite seasons left in him. No international tournaments during the summer means he plays less football than most top 20 players in the world. His body will have taken less of a beating because of that.

Barring any terrible injuries, he has loads left to give yet.

6 Likes

I feel like young talent for the striker position isn’t available in abundance these days anyway. Or they are already with the European elite (Jovic, Jesus). Might aswell keep on the strikers you have who are at least very good, if they don’t fall in the great category.

1 Like

Agreed he is fully reliant on quickness of thought as opposed to speed of movement. Although his running is mad rapid. Hoping his legs last as there is nothing worse than seeing a players legs go !?

I’m pleased we could have this chat @MO_OA49 as I’d forgotten what an absolute pleasure it is to see the master of the question mark in action

6 Likes

Contract done after next season? Interesting to see how new regime handles…

LMAO :joy: its been a while bro ?!

1 Like

I believe that I read that he has been extended.