Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Proud to be associated with 2 of the best members in OA history :wenger2:

4 Likes

But what if you were one of the best members before you got your mind melted. Feel like pure shit just want Mi Elect back.

1 Like

The English press, the football press especially, is just jam packed with this kind of lazy stuff.

We see it a lot in American sportswriting about baseball too believe it or not.

1 Like

He’s implying Arteta is racist, due to his team selections. This is not right or fair regardless what you think of him as a manager.

It’s this type of Reddit bullshit culture that detracts from these important issues to the point that people just don’t care anymore.

2 Likes

See what exactly?

I doubt this is his outlook given that “good person, team player, leader” would’ve been his exact description of Willian for the entire first half of the season.

1 Like

I know what he’s implying.

What I’m saying is that there are some lazy racial stereotypes that English sportswriters love to fall back on. Black players and fancy cars comes to mind while poor old ‘arry Kane is never called out for diving or intentionally table topping a defender. People lost their minds over Auba’s cars as if it had any impact whatsoever on how he trains or plays. Remember when Sterling had a gun tattooed on his leg (or maybe his arm?) and the English press filled their diapers?

@Stroller the baseball press and discourse around baseball is dominated by old white guys. So you get a lot of “scrappy” or “hard working” or “gutsy” when describing white players and “strong” or “freakishly talented” or “fiery” when describing Latin American players. There is a whole debate going on over younger, mostly players of color celebrating more after home runs. It triggers the old white guys in the press corps but also the old white guys managing opposing teams who will have their pitchers intentionally throw at players to “police the game” which is such absolute bullshit.

1 Like

Nah man bullshit. Everything you’ve added after is strawman garbage and it’s no reason to act like Mikel is a racist just because you don’t like him as a manager.

All the stuff you have mentioned is a completely separate story and deserves the respect of a different conversation.

At least when A4tt was cracking the Arteta hates black people card he was doing it as a tiresome joke.

2 Likes

The racial component people love to highlight is very overblown in the UK sports media.

Prominent footballers, regardless of race, who don’t give off a boy scout image like Kane have always been subject to excessive levels of tabloid sensationalism and frivolous articles.

To this day I’ve never seen a bigger media target than Rooney since he burst on to the stage.

3 Likes

I’m not saying Arteta is racist. I was just making the point that English sportswriting is lazy and relies on a lot of racial stereotypes.

Americaaaaaa fuck yeah

Yeah true they also compounded the problems of the likes of Gazza and George Bests of this world.
That doesn’t excuse their failings but it’s not helped at times.

1 Like

Highlighting two prominent individuals isn’t the same as a systemic issue. It’s apples and oranges.

When the press in this country go after footballers usually when England fail at a tournament or the ESL it’ll be usually on money and wealth and pictures of material possessions not race really.
The one Auba story came from him not turning up on time and then pictured in his expensive car.
There’s issues in the game with race without doubt but over egging perceptions like this won’t help it.
Pretty much condemned out of hand those Daily Mail stories on Sterling at the time.

1 Like

That’s cool, it came across a little like that. I feel like your larger point and Elect’s were different.

I just don’t think it’s nice shade to throw at people, especially when we’re all meant to be on the same team. Arteta doesn’t like black players sits as well with me as Wenger likes kids- regardless of where we sit in the table.

3 Likes

I’m not over egging anything. You want to see it that way, it’s fine. Maybe it’s a consequence of some of the coverage we get here from British writers who work freelance for places like Fox Sports. Maybe it’s just who I follow on Twitter. It’s an issue with football journalism.

Yeah, probably carrying on two different conversations that don’t quite overlap. Classic internet mixup.

I think Arteta has had issues with a suspiciously high number of French speakers (Saliba, Guendouzi, Pepe, Auba) but it doesn’t mean he hates French people, French speakers or anything like that. Likewise he fell out with a bunch of Muslim players (Ozil, Mustafi and Kola) but I’d never say he hated Muslims. There’s only one manager/coach that I’ll forever happily throw that ‘racist’ label on and it’s John Terry…because it’s true.

1 Like

Wow bro. I mean you’re mentioning those players because you believe that it’s based on something outside footballing reasons no? Something based on ethnic or religious discrimination?

That’s crazy to me. Like objectively crazy to me. You aren’t anti Islamic because Ozil, Mustafi and Kola have been fucking the club up years before you even arrived.

You’re mentioning French players of African descent as though he has some kind of distaste towards them. I don’t see it. Saliba is a child who probably isn’t ready for this league and Guendouzi as much as I love him was Ozil’s little puppy dog- he needs to wake up and walk tall.

Arteta literally praises Auba and Pepe as two of the most important players to the squad.

There are blatent reasons not to trust these cunts and it’s far from being racist.

I do agree that ESR is only here though because he looks like a little Hitler youth looking motherfucker, heard Chelsea grew him in a lab.

6 Likes

Read my post. Nowhere did I say I thought he fell out with them because of their backgrounds.

I listed those players to illustrate that even if he’s fallen out with French speakers or Muslim players it doesn’t mean I think he’s racist. Not everything has a bad faith explanation to it.

Again my whole reason for posting was so chime in on the systematic lazy stereotyping used by the British press and American press in sportswriting.

Arteta is a shitty coach and a bad man manager but none of his bad decisions make him appear racist or prejudiced. Except for his obvious bias in favor of charity cases which explains Willians’ appearances last season.

1 Like

I was about to reply to Castiel to say that he should be fair, and that you clearly said that you would not draw that conclusion about Arteta. Which I semi stand by, but reading your post back, you did your point no favour in using the word “suspiciously” towards the start of your post, as unfortunately I think that undermines what you go on to say a little bit, and certainly gives off the impression that you think he may well be a bit racist/discriminatory.

It’s just weird. I didn’t mean it in any other context than to say that it’s a weird coincidence. If I thought the guy was a racist I would have just said it.