Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

I had a quick whizz around various Arsenal platforms yesterday after official confirmation to see all the reactions.

I don’t know what happened as usually this forum is very positive, but out of all the places I’ve read this thread had the least positive vibe and I generally have loved this site, lol.

If you look around the time the announcement was posted on this thread, there are some killjoy comments around there plus some others later on which has dragged the mood a little… I understand your frustrations but the positive buzz online is far outweighing the miserable comments which is nice, just doesn’t completely feel like it on this platform currently :sweat_smile:

Talking of killjoy comments. Grumpy old man Rory Smith on 5 Live last night. I don’t think he likes us.

“It’s not good business sense as he’ll have no resale value in 3 years.”

“They probably wouldn’t have been able to keep hold of him if not for the pandemic and lack of decent options.”

Why are people so hung up on telling us this? We’re not dense!

Look at the opposite side of the coin, if he hadn’t signed it’d have been a disaster!

2 Likes

Why does re-sale value matter so much to a 31 year old striker. Absolute nonsense. Auba’s contributions outweigh everything else.

2 Likes

It’s a very very good bit of business re-signing him - bigger than any signing we can imagine.

It’s true, non-covid, and non-FA Cup win, and I think he goes to Madrid/Barca. It did help with Barca having a club-wide melt down too.

If we can win a league with him, he goes down as a true legend.

1 Like

I’ve always enjoyed Phil McNulty’s (BBC chief writer) coverage of Arsenal on BBC Sport, usually very positive, and his comments about the extension are in the article:

Arsenal and manager Mikel Arteta were keen to do plenty of business this summer - but one transaction carried much greater weight and significance than any other.

And that was getting Aubameyang’s name on a new long-term contract.

It has been agreed for some time but Arsenal fans can now rest easy that the striker, who wins big matches and is a member of the elite in his position, is now signed and sealed and the central figure in Arteta’s rebuild at Emirates Stadium.

For all the renewed organisation, discipline and zest Arteta has brought to Arsenal since his arrival at December, so much of the momentum would have been lost had Aubameyang not pledged his future to the club.

Aubameyang, for all the other talent in Arsenal’s squad, is the man who makes the big difference as proved by two goals in both the FA Cup semi-final win over Manchester City and then in the final against Chelsea.

He has also shown great faith and confidence in what Arteta wants to achieve at Arsenal - so it is a day worth celebrating for the Gunners.

2 Likes

There was always going to be a negative narrative on this regardless of what Aubameyang did.

He resigns for Arsenal = Bad because he’s tying up wages and has no resale value.

He leaves for €30m = Bad because Arsenal lose his goals, look unattractive as a destination and have to sign a replacement.

He stays without signing = Bad because the contract situation inevitably turns into a running drama at every press conference.

Also Rory Smith should stick to writing earnest longreads in the NYT about third division soccer in Montana.

4 Likes

Six minutes of (all) Aubameyang’s goals for us. :red_circle: :white_circle:

Better quality:

1 Like

Whatta player. Goal machine.

Always smiling. My captain Aubameyaaanggggg

^ stuff like this is so tiresome

2 Likes

Will Auba join the 100 club this season?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hmm 28 goals in all comps is a big ask, even for him tbf.

31 and 29 the last 2 seasons so it’ll be around the Mark you’d think.

If he matches last season’s tally then he’s there. With Willian, a more settled Pepe, Saka etc. I think he can do it. It will be a personal motivation for him too.

1 Like

If he can score over twenty five goals with the midfield we had last season, he should be able to get even more with Pepe starting to show some form and Willian doing what he did at Chelsea straight away.

If we can get another creative midfielder as well, which is what we should be doing, then we might even be looking at more than thirty goals and a top four place.

1 Like

I think he will score over 35 goals in all comps this season.

1 Like

He had an average first 12 months despite scoring shit loads but man he stepped up and really deserved this contract upgrade.

2 Likes

Gabby knows?

1 Like

Siiiiuuu, just waited for Mr. Abogonalahors confirmation. Top 4 here we fekin come !

6 Likes

Similarly, at the end of this article about Wrighty, there’s a video of Tony Cascarino on Talksport Radio, surprisingly tipping us for top 4 and praising Auba also!

1 Like

Seeing all the videos on Instagram I fucking love Wrighty, there was a point a while back where he was getting right on my tits as he was so negative all the time and felt like he never had a good thing to say about the club, but you just realise he’s just a huge fan of the club like any of us, love seeing the rapport/friendship and adulation he has with and for Auba

4 Likes