Petr Cech

Call me a cynic but I’m more happy that we have £100k off the wage bill.

3 Likes

He might not have been worth the 15 points a season that the honourable John Terry promised us he would be, but I’m still a big fan of Petr Cech as a person.

He always came across well in interviews too, very intelligent, always professional and often pretty honest… a novelty in modern football. I’d imagine he is good to have around the training ground too, can imagine him taking up a coaching role… though probably at Chelsea.

Also, he had that awful skull fructure, which could have ended his career, but instead he pushed on and won every trophy going. Great career.

3 Likes

I was always disappointed that he never brought leadership into the defence. Maybe we are mentally very poor in that department but thought he had more to offer that way.
Been a bit of a free ride really this transfer for him in reality.

At least someone feels Petr about it

1 Like

Totally indifferent to Cech and his accomplishments.

2 Likes

It irks me he wrote the first sentence twice.

He had some good performances for us but also let in way too many goals a younger keeper would have saved. Cost us more than saved us.

Let’s just hope Xhaka will do the same this summer

2 Likes

Probably the right time to call it a day. He’s had a great career. His time with us, maybe didn’t quite live up to expections, but it was still pretty nice when he signed from Chelsea and all the excitement around him then. I won’t miss how ridiculous long it took him to finally save a fucking penalty for us though :arteta: Ah what a moment that was when he finally did.

With him and Ramsey going in the Summer, we really have had an absolute massive overhaul of the squad in the last 24 months, with only Kos, Bellerin, Ozil and Jenko left, and two of them could also move on as well soon too :sweat_smile: They’ll be nobody left at this rate!

2 Likes

Jenko will never leave :joy: what a hero

1 Like

Jenko will retire with us 10 years from now as a legend.

Cech’s contract was up this summer, it’s a sensible all round decision. Also a good opportunity to upgrade on Leno

Imagine needing to upgrade on the keeper you invested £20m in a season after you signed him.

4 Likes

Cech and an absolute fantastic career, his level in his early days at Chelsea was insanely high, comfortably the best keeper in the league and one of the top few in Europe.

Sadly the signing of Cech didn’t really work out for us, he was over the hill and his leadership qualities didn’t really seem to help us in a positive way either ( not saying that’s his fault ) just the way it is.

Cech seems like a fantastic person and I wish him all the best in retirement. Multiple premier league winner, FA cups, a Champions League and Europa League, the Man did it all :clap:

1 Like

Thats it now for him. Could have done better on the first and last. No longer good enough.

Good thing he’s retiring

Unless Leno get’s a injury or is suspended that should be the last we see of Cech. I’m sure he go down as Chelsea’s greatest GK and will be a legend at that club. At Arsenal, I don’t know if it be as kind for him. Far too many mistakes made by him, two of the goals last night he should have done better with. He did a job for us but didn’t improve us greatly. Even in his last season or two with Chelsea, he wasn’t anywhere near the GK he once was.

I don’t know I don’t think the fan’s have taken him to heart and I don’t think Cech has taken to the club either. Maybe I’m a bit harsh on him with that, but it feels like he just wanted to bide his time before his retirement and stay in London for his family. It didn’t matter who it was could be West Ham or any other PL london team. He just lucked out that Arsenal needed a GK.

Would it be unfair to put him into the most disappointing signings this club has signed.

Imo yes he kept 16 clean sheets in 15/16 and won the golden glove

1 Like

A let down but there are worse in the side now. Probably the free transfer gets him out of a bit more flak. But he has been poor.

1 Like

For his legendary status at Chelsea, and in the PL. I expected a bit more from the man, I think he’s been very mistake prone, I know Callum said he kept 16 clean sheets and won the golden gloves in 15/16 season, but i remember his debut for us when he made a mistake for West Ham goals that cost us that game.

I don’t think he had the impact for us that we were expecting from a top class keeper. Definitely his debut season was the best we’ve seen from him, after that it was downhill.

2 Likes

Ive always thought he would bring some leadership to the defence but sadly that never showed.

4 Likes