Per Mertesacker

Honestly though if this was festering it’s better to get it out than to bottle it up. Had some of my best fights with my best friends.

1 Like

Its great innit

2 Likes

People hate on us for watching love island in the summer for 8 weeks when they support the biggest reality show going for 12 months of the year :joy::joy::joy::joy:

@JakeyBoy

So fuck you all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::fu:

5 Likes

Either way, we’re all spending too much of our time watching self-entitled cunts get paid to be on TV and do fuck all

6 Likes

Ozil and Per thought Gnabry could help a World Cup winning Germany side. Wenger didn’t want to give him minutes over Ox, Iwobi, and Campbell.

8 Likes

I’m sorry but this is such a lazy narrative and revisionist history. We all knew Gnabry had talent when he dismantled the scum, but the kid had a major knee injury and went missing for 18 months. When he came back we loaned him to Pulis, okay maybe a mistake (Mane had no issue balling out for Tony and getting a big move tho :thinking::thinking:) but Gnabry didn’t help himself either. Bad attitude and was out of shape overweight. Wenger didn’t want to lose him, and tried to get him to sign a contract extension multiple times. Wenger allowed him to go to the Olympics to get some game time. Wenger’s biggest strength was belief in his players, which was also his biggest weakness. The man would persist for a long time with guys and sometime it would work and other times it wouldn’t. Why would that guy want to give up so quickly on a clear talent? He wouldn’t and he rarely ever did, usually a young player would come good for Arsene or he’d flame out as an Arsenal player.

Wenger very clearly wanted to keep him but it takes two to tango you can’t force a guy to stay at ur club if he wants to leave. Gnabry had his head turned by Bayern and wanted to return home and thats when his career really took off. It’s not really anyone’s fault, and I’ve been seeing this illogical opinion all over the place lol it’s the definition of hindsight :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Its your history that is revisionist. Gnabry got hurt but he also had periods where he was healthy in the spring of both 14-15 and 15-16 and Wenger gave him a grand total of zero first team minutes. He has been up front in saying that he left because he was fifth choice, didn’t think he was wanted at Arsenal, and felt he needed to move to somewhere he could play. Bayern clearly turned his head eventually but he wanted to leave beforehand.

For example, he comes back to Arsenal after the disastrous West Brom loan and he couldn’t even make the bench in an FA Cup match against Hull, one where we started Welback, Campbell, and Iwobi behind the striker. Still can’t make the bench in the next round tie against Watford, with Iwobi, Campbell, Welbeck, etc all in front of him. Then in the league even when we’re mathematically eliminated from winning and also have a top four place sewn up, he is still with the U23s the whole time.

The reality is that Gnabry might not have helped himself with his attitude (I don’t know anything about that) but Wenger had a bunch of opportunities to reintegrate him into the team in a limited capacity - to indicate to him that he had a real future with the club - and simply chose not to do it.

2 Likes

He was featured in quite a few matches in 14-15, notably an FA cup starting role against Tottenham. Then he had a serious knee which kept him out for a year. Saying Wenger didn’t give him an opportunity in 14-15 while accusing someone as revisionist is quite rich.

Should you reward everyone despite being unfit?
In that case why is this notion not said about every young player in the academy?
Why is this coming up in hindsight?

Does Wenger really need to prove anything to this guy after giving this dude apperances against Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham?
Be fit, do well in reserves and earn your place.
Guy was unfit, someone from Bayern got in his ears and he was not dedicated anymore.

1 Like

They are quick to laud Arteta for keeping Mesut out cuz he doesn’t ‘train hard’ yet a dood who was clearly not fit should have gotten chances and Wenger is a monster for blocking him from the team :joy::joy:

Btw the receipts are there in the Gnabry thread. A good portion of OA were saying that Gnabry wasn’t any good and we should have bought Mahrez and sold Gnabry because we need to win now. That’s another aspect about our fanatic base that’s quite amusing. Sure now that the guy is banging in CL goals we shoulda kept him and Wenger badman, but back then we had absolutely zero interest in his development because we needed instant gratification. Lol, talk about having ur cake and eating it to, you guys are undefeated :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Are you mixing him up with someone else as I legit don’t remember Mane at Stoke or West brom :grin:

We were out of league race for last 4 games but we were not secured of Top 4 places. One loss in last game and City & United would have a chance to finish above us. Two losses and Southampton could take our place in top 4.

Revisionism

Lol ur 100% right, the red and white stripes threw me off he was a southampton man :joy::joy: somehow that kit plus lolpool buying Shaqiri from Stoke threw me off :+1::+1:

1 Like

Its you who have it wrong. He played for us plenty in 13-14 and looked like a massive talent, including in that FA Cup tie against Spurs. Then he did his knee and never played for our first team again the next two seasons, despite being healthy and available for selection both springs.

How do you know he was unfit? He was regularly starting for the U23s in the spring of 2015 and 2016. He just couldn’t get a sniff of the first team again.

Wenger gave him appearances against those big sides, he showed his talent, then he wasn’t selected again for two entire seasons even when healthy, while the club also loaned him to a side that would be terrible for his development run by a manager who famously didn’t like flair players. That’s the point. Any ambitious player in his position would feel that he needed to move somewhere else in those circumstances.

I got mixed up here. It was the end of the 2014-15 season that we had top four comfortably secured but he still never got a sniff.

2 Likes

My bad. Got few things mixed up.

1 Like

Yeah pretty much. Even I gave and stand by Wenger was right on this one.

1 Like
1 Like

Benayoun had a decent loan spell if you think about. Was not a bad footballer either. Andre Santos the less said the better lol.

2 Likes

Mertesacker was the only really good signing from that panic deadline day. Great servant who’s contribution doesn’t get enough credit.

9 Likes

His only weakness was his speed… other than that, he was doing pretty good.
Just sometimes outjumped by shorter players, but hey… he was a giant, supposed to be slow and could not jump.

Still, a very good and reliable defenseman for us.
If Wenger did not play the high line defense, he would be much better for us.
I would say he was a B+ (or maybe A-) signing.