Olivier Giroud

Giroud is basically Arsenal fans unattractive ex. You left her for someone you thought was better, then you became unemployed, your new girlfriend stopped having sex with you and you broke your leg so you can’t even walk. At the same time you notice your ex girlfriend has won the lottery, invested the money into bitcoin at it’s lowest, married your favourite sports star and now has a reality TV shows of them both, that your current GF insists on watching.

@Phoebica Obviously this is a metaphor for his sporting ability, he’s clearly a good looking dude

2 Likes

I meant it as a compliment. Being the starting striker for the winning team (and not scoring a single goal) is quite the achievement in its own.

Just @ me next time.

He shit the bed when we needed him the most down the stretch the year Leicester won the league and acted like a dickhead after Baku. Fair play to him, Arsenal basically shuffled him out to accommodate Auba. The club planned poorly and he benefited from it.

On the whole he’s an average to good striker who let us down. I’ll take shots at him for clowning us after Baku. Part of sports is pantomime villains and he falls into that category for me.

People hating him personally is a bridge too far. Ragging on him for whatever happened in that hotel room when he got caught playing away is really nobody’s business but him and his partner.

3 Likes

Yeah I hate him for giving us Sanogo.

1 Like

AC and Wenger gave us Sanogo

4 Likes

1 Like

Fucking hate that film.

1 Like

Werner is the German equivalent of Giroud.
If they win the Euros, he could do a Giroud and win it while scoring no goals.
What’s even more amazing is that Chelsea won the CL with both of them.

But realistically it’s unlikely that, as a a main striker, Giroud’s record of fifteen consecutive matches without scoring in the PL and not scoring in a World Cup winning team will be broken.

3 Likes

First of all, just because I think he is lucky, doesn’t automatically mean I begrudge his success/achievements. In the past, when people have criticized him for his lack of goals for us, I have on more than one occasion defended him with the argument that he more than justified his price tag. He just was never that elite striker that we all wanted/expected after RVP but that’s not on him.

Coming to the lucky bit, some of it is because of the move to Chelsea. I mean, how often has a direct top 4 rival bought one of our players that we wanted to offload? And yes, he has contributed to their Europa League and Champions League success which is why I said “not always contributing”. And then there is the World Cup win with France. That’s the luckiest bit for me. Not his 0 goals, but playing as a starting striker in that French team with Benzema around.

Anyway, won’t be surprised if he wins the Euros as well.

3 Likes

Of course it does, you’re implying his success is the result of random events or chance rather than his own hard work and talent.

His move to Chelsea has nothing to do with luck, one club saw his value and utilised his talent properly while the other was desperate for cash and thought Giroud’s career would tank. Not Giroud’s fault Arsenal got a bad deal shifting him off to a rival

Giroud was getting called up and performing well for France whilst Benz was available for selection. Fact he was barred from selection afterward has no bearing on success for France. Is it “luck” that he had that opportunity ahead of Benz? Well no, there were other strikers and options available to play who you can argue were better forwards than him but it’s clear Giroud had a role to play in the 11 and did it effectively.

The concept of luck for players is silly anyway, you can make the case any successful footballer or team has benefited from random chance but one ever uses it to minimise success

1 Like

So if you had to choose between

• not scoring & winning the WC
    and
  • scoring loads but exiting in R16 of Euros

What would you choose?

Not scoring and winning the World Cup every time

Or it laymans teens would you rather be a quality player in an average team ? Or a shit player in an elite team ?

Does the shit player have a world cup medal? Is the quality player a piece of cunt?

Mustafi also has World Cup winning medals.

Mustafi is also not a shit cunt

I enjoy watching quality footballers mate and Karim’s first goal was :fire:.

Shame DD put Giroud on in an attempt to shore up France on defensive set pieces and play for penalties, if he left Karim on the pitch that may have found a winner.

3 Likes

Deschamps going for pens with his 94th minute sub, got what he deserved

3 Likes

Mbappe would be yes to those questions this time.

1 Like