Oleksandr Zinchenko (35)

Everton already signed a different Ukrainian left back.

Wenger: ā€˜I need this guyā€™. He wanted him for the first-team straight away, not the reserves, but certain circumstances interfered.ā€#afc

What circumstances could that have been?
He didnā€™t meet with Wengerā€™s valuation?
Another player to put on the ā€œwe triedā€ list.

2 Likes

This would definitely be the least sexy name on Wengerā€™s nearly signed list.

I canā€™t say Iā€™m upset that it never happened.

3 Likes

This lad has been brilliant tonight. Levels above everyone else on the pitch.

3 Likes

Internationals are obviously different but I came away thinking he could play midfield for Arsenal. I certainly wouldnā€™t want him to be our main midfield target or a regular starter but he could be a Milneresque utility player that does a job at either LB or one of the midfield positions.

3 Likes

Heā€™s good, but doesnā€™t elevate us. Donā€™t think heā€™s the answer for CM. Heā€™s good on the ball, a leftie and mobile, but doesnā€™t have a stand out attribute. A midfield with him and Odegaard works hard but gets bullied and has Partey working overtime.

Was good tonight tbf

1 Like

However, after saying all of that, if Arteta wants somebody to drop in from the left side of cm to cover the space like Xhaka used to, heā€™s a great option. Him at LB or LWB is tasty as well. Would be a good signing.

Anyone have any idea what the likely transfer price would be?

I think @Castiel might know.

1 Like

Zinchenko is my preferred choice for a new LB this summer and I think his versatility would be beneficial to the team. He would be given an opportunity to get plenty of game time at Arsenal and would provide a lot of competition for Tierney and cover when/if he is injured again. He is also the captain of Ukraine and a winner at City so think he could bring a lot of leadership qualities to the team if we signed him.

Although I think Arteta will continue to play 4-2-3-1 and potentially transition us to a 4-3-3 next season, a signing like Zinchenko would enable us to play 3 at the back, with Gabriel, Saliba and White. He has the ability to play as a LWB or cover on the left-side of our midfield if required.

His isnā€™t going to be cheap! He has a contract at City until 2024, so has 2 years left. The price Iā€™ve seen referenced within the media is circa Ā£25-30m which would absolutely be at the top end of our budget for a new LB. However, given that we have been undone at LB the last two seasons, it makes me think this is an area that we need to invest in this summer and will be prioritised over a new RB to cover Tomi.

The only thing in our favour is that City are strongly linked with Cucurella and that infers that Zinchenko could be sold this summer. He also obviously has a previous relationship with Arteta.

I feel for you tonight, but they were the better team by far. How about this to cheer you up @Calumā€¦if we sign him, Iā€™ll buy you an Arsenal shirt with his name on it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

There goes my idea of getting both Zinchenko and the Scottish kid, Zinchenko mainly reserved for positions higher up the pitch. Probably is Zinchenko or Aaron Hickey then; if we get both though I will be extremely happy on being proven wrong.

I have some questions about him defensively but I could definitely see him pushing Tierney hard for the starting LB spot - or just being the preferred alternative against certain opponents - and also being an asset as a backup midfielder.

I do have to laugh at Arsenal fans, we get linked with someone everyoneā€™s universally like ā€œnah donā€™t want him,ā€ next game he plays literally every Arsenal fan watches him and pays attention, ā€œnah he good, Iā€™d take him.ā€

Every relatively unknown or unwatched player every summer lol

4 Likes

Yeah. Itā€™s the exact opposite today on Hickey. All the fitting the profile rhetoric been binned off today.
Couldnā€™t make it up. Only good as your last tweet.

8 Likes

Not going to blow my own trumpet, but I posted my revised wishlist on 30th May and Zinchenko was my preferred choice as a new LB. Hickey has been linked with us and looks very decent but still struggling to see why the player/club would sign another Scottish LB.

Why does it matter having 2 scottish players for that role.

I would think that both Tierney and Hickey want to be the No.1 LB for their club, but also for Scotland. Why would you join Arsenal if you were Hickey, knowing that you are going to be sharing game time with Tierney. Just doesnā€™t make much sense to me. Plus, I wouldnā€™t think Tierney would be too happy either for the same reason.

Everton probably his level tbf

2 Likes

Heā€™s still quality to be fair.
And I saw somewhere that he is keen on playing midfield if he moves.

Good move for Everton if they pull it off.