Nuno Tavares (Loan: Forest)

Was he refusing to sign a contract or something?

I’m a bit sceptical when seeing a club like Benfica offloading young players on the cheap.

No mate, I think he’s actually just that shit

6 Likes

All you have to do is check reddit or Twitter. Benfica supporters aren’t exactly sad to see him go.

2 Likes

For what is worth Benfica were quoting clubs 15m and we got him for half of that because we were able to sort this early with Benfica. I assume we paid them in one go as well.

Seems like he was on the list for many clubs as a first choice LB. :man_shrugging:

I know we shit on our business often but it sounds like a very smart buy by the club. I think even if he flops we’ll still be able to move him on for what we paid.

1 Like

This must just be another “doing a mate a favour” Arsenal special

1 Like

On the surface of it, it does feel completely shit and underwhelming.

3 Likes

Have you seen the quotes they place on genuinely decent players?

1 Like

The worst part is Benfica’s rivals upset that they’ve sold him haha

1 Like

Enlighten me. 15m isn’t that unreasonable for a promising young LB.

I meant to say if the player is really promising, Benfica usually quotes lot more than 15m

Well, most non-PL clubs don’t seem to be in position to quote much for players. Aouar being available for 20-25m says a lot.

It’s a big reason you see a lot of us not wanting the club to go for PL players.

Who cares what they quoted if they settled for half of it 3 weeks later? What they settled for is where they see the value, unless you think we somehow bullied one of the most notorious selling clubs in Europe into accepting far less.

We’re being linked with a CB for 50 million so I don’t think they gave us the poverty price.

We’re in a post-COVID market, almost all non-PL teams have been fucked financially, so has Benfica.
You think it’s unreasonable that Benfica gave in and accepted selling him for cheap if it meant they were likely getting that money up front and early in the window?

Ben White here isn’t relevant btw. You’re talking about a a young highly rated PL defender. There’s always tax with that. Everton offered 50m as well.

I think your hypothesis is perfectly sound. Is there anything to say that’s what actually happened though?

I don’t know. We have had a Benfica fan sign up to troll us over how bad a player he is

2 Likes

And we had someone sign up to tell us the positives.

That alone should tell us we’re overpaying.

I’m willing to accept a shitty signing if the player is on a cheap contract tbh. We’ve lived through Andre Santos, Kolasinac and even Xhaka at LB, We’ll survive

1 Like

I doubt anyone actually has a serious problem with this signing. It’s fine in isolation. The problem is we are still waiting for the key signings to push us up the table, so it’s more of a summer context thing that has me bothered.

1 Like

this should tav got way more likes

2 Likes