Nicolas Pépé

Still think he has been fucked over with the stop start nature of his involvement. Some of that is on him, some of that is on the managers and I can’t really argue with people who would say he hasn’t shown enough to be involved any more than he was but I really do think the club is as culpable as the player here.

8 Likes

72 million quid ouch.

Another player that I thought played well. Had a lot of good ideas but Southampton defended very well against him.
The standout chance was when Auba found him in the box and banged it right on the bottom right corner of the keeper but Bednarek(I think) somehow managed to put block it. Keeper had no chance if that passed through.

Hoping he keeps his place against Everton.

1 Like

I used to laugh at clubs who would spend 72m on a single player who would then flop.

“We would never…”

Jokes on me.

1 Like

People are still slamming Pepe after seeing Auba performances this season? 3 goals in 13 apps!?

Arteta has nerfed all the attacking players ffs. Even Willian who had a productive last season has suddenly dropped off to nothing?

Pepe is the real deal folks but this club has handled his progression terribly from the start.

13 Likes

Big Sevchenko dropping facts. Arteta has gimped all our attacking players.

10 Likes

Still think he has a lot more to offer at this club than he has shown. That’s largely down to the manager and how he utilises him. Fair to criticise him because he can do more, we’ve got evidence of that in the EL. He’s better than that though, the next step is getting him to transfer those kind of performances in the PL.

3 Likes

I will also add that Pepe played a big part in the FA Cup as well. Involved in both goals in the SF and abused the Chelsea defence in the final.
Right when it looked he was finding his feet Willian arrives and he’s demoted to cup fixtures.

4 Likes

One of the biggest victims of micromanagement of our current manager. Ultimately if Arteta’s idea of 5-6 additional players means more Willians instead of Pepe. Count me out.

4 Likes

Do you guys think Pepe would flourish under Wenger?

1 Like

Would have been a beast under any Wenger up until around 09

1 Like

Should he get a chance in the number 10 role or is his passing not good enough?

1 Like

Yeah I am, the two cases are very different. Auba is proven whereas Pepe is far from it.

What has he done under every other manager? Is Arteta responsible for his performances under Emery and Freddie too?

Pepe is the real deal? Please tell me where he’s demonstrated this anywhere but France.

1 Like

Very confident if we sell him he won’t turn out anything special at any other club.
He’s an out and out individual. Classic YouTube compilation player but nothing really suggests he’s star quality.
By all means give him more games as we have no coherence in attack or midfield creativity anyway.
Might get that odd bit of individual skill or goal that gets us a couple of points but im afraid this will never be what we thought it might have been.

1 Like

I’d like to be proven wrong but this goes beyond coaching, he lacks essential traits that are the mark of top players IMO

He’s going to disappoint many when he is more or less the same under another manager, you can see he isn’t a 'locked in every week ’ type of player.

1 Like

I’m starting to give up on him. That sparkle you could see in his performances at Lille, the lazy confidence to skin players - I’ve barely seen that at Arsenal.

He is a moments player but without confidence and regular playing time, he’ll never perform to that sort of level for us. He’s not really had a consistent run, and all of our attackers look bollocks under Arshitter, but I nevertheless expect more.

I just get this feeling though that if you slapped him into Liverpool’s starting XI under Klopp that he’d explode.

1 Like

There’s a big asterisk to his performances under substandard coaches like Emery, Freddie and Arteta who basically shown an inability to coach attacking football alongside having huge man management flaws.

Explain the Willian performances? He’s player Arteta wanted and requested for his system, it’s clear the coaching/tactics is stifling these players, the question is what % is on the manager compared to the player himself. Willian has suddenly off the cliff has he?

The club has proven the instability on and off the pitch has compromised the positive progression of a few players now. Every attacker is playing below expectations currently beside Saka

Pepe is quality, it there for all to see and he’s shown it at Arsenal but he just needs the right coaching & tactics to thrive

5 Likes

How many coaches are we going to go through though? What happens when we have a manager where we’re playing well and he’s still whishy washy? The way I see it it’s inevitable.

As for Willian I’ve never rated him like that, he had a good season statistically at Chelsea but its not the norm for him, no doubt coaching has had an impact but how motivated is he anyway? He’s here for his pension.

Pepe is not as advertised, not sure why he’s getting pass after pass when he’s played for three managers and failed to impress. His base level isn’t good enough and his personality and drive leaves much to be desired, the likes of Klopp and Pep would be exasperated with him no doubt about it.

Also he’s showed little else apart from the off flash and a great deal of inconsistency. Why is Saka showing him up week after week?

I used to believe it was mostly coaching but the more I see of him the more I’ve thought he isn’t that guy.

I’ll revise my opinion if that ever happens. I think a good attacking coach salivates at the prospect of having a forward line of Pepe, Auba and Saka

On Willian I get the arguments about motivation and think they’re valid to a certain extent but the minimal production and impact on games is very concerning for a player Arteta wanted. Arteta has given him liberties on and off the pitch!

Highlighting Saka’s performance is a fair point, he was positive under Emery too. The kid is built different mentality wise but I think Pepe needs something different motivational wise. Pepe has always been brought in and out of the 11, which has contributed to his inconsistency on top of the poor tactics

3 Likes

What happens is we can all finally conclude once and for all that its his fault and abandoned any hope of him coming good. If that’s what happens of course.

1 Like