Nicolas Pépé

Hard to make a case against Pepe when Arteta has muzzled all the attackers in 11 which his terrible tactics. We weren’t producing great offensive football with him benched

Pepe will come good, he will outlast Arteta

3 Likes

Should have gone for PL proven Zaha than this guy, I like him but has something missing

3 Likes

If he outlasts Arteta it will only be because we’ve paid too much money for him and he’s unsellable. I’m not convinced he’s going to succeed here. Lille pulled a fast one on us the same way we got bamboozled by Willian’s reps and Cedric’s reps. Gee…I wonder what the common denominator in those deals could be. :xhaka:

This guy has become a worse investment than Gervinho, who produced just as much for us on the footballing field, but cost like one fifth of a Pepe.

1 Like

I wouldn’t take his sample under Emery or Arteta as definitive for obvious reasons. Both are very flawed and inept managers, particularly Arteta

1 Like

I don’t like what I’m seeing from him regardless of manager, he drifts through games rather than being a constant presence.

There’s certain traits that you need to have unless your talent is off the charts and you can play fairly causally and still dominate effortlessly such as Hazard did.

Pepe has lukewarm intensity and aggression in his play, he doesn’t step on the pitch aiming to repeatedly dominate defenders , I think most of these top managers would become frustrated with him fairly quickly particularly as he does have ability but doesn’t chanel it in the requisite way.

This seems to be his base personality and it isn’t conducive to being a top forward in the PL. The kind of thing that doesn’t show up in videos or stats but is essential for the majority of top players.

4 Likes

I think Arteta has to share a lot of the blame. Our attack is turgid and that is on Arteta.

He’s taken Pepe in and out of the team so frequently. And when he’s on the pitch he’s hugging the line and being involved in some of the least inspiring passages of attacking play I have ever seen.

There’s a reason Pepe was wanted by Napoli and Liverpool. Imagine this guy ended up playing under Klopp.

Instead he’s had Emery and Arteta.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Doubt the Liverpool links were true and Bayern turned their nose up at him as well, Napoli were in for him though and they’re glad we managed to poach this one from them unlike the others.

The more and more I see of him it’s clear we’ve bought poorly regardless of manager, he had the breakout season but you can see there are deficiencies in his game and he’s probably a project player which is far from ideal considering his age, add in the personality concerns and you’ve a recipe for a bust.

I wonder how many seasons some of you are thinking he’ll come good after, what happens when we get the good manager and it’s still the same? Klopp would not be thrilled with this guy, he’s not a Klopp player.

2 Likes

He holds onto the ball way too long to be a Klopp player.

3 Likes

That’s the least of it, from what I’ve seen their personalities would not mesh at all.

Would most likely be similar to how Klopp was not a fan of Mkhitaryan

3 Likes

Penalty merchant that looked good in a farmers league.

Lacazette 2.0

1 Like

Penalty merchant?

Only 9 of his 23 goals in 18/19 were pens lol not what I’d call a penalty merchant

That’s like 45% of his goals lol

14 non penalty goes for a winger is still very good.

Don’t shit on his stats because its not worked out here lol

1 Like

I wish we could relabel this thread Nicolas Pepe (shit for brains)

1 Like

Think this guy has really fucked his chance now. £72m for 11 goals in 50 odd appearances and losing the ball after overdoing it with his faffy skill moves. So frustrating watching him because you can just see that there’s a world class player in there. Can see him being sold or being loaned out next summer. Shame.

1 Like

Is it a shame that Pepe can’t perform (and got a red), or it is a shame that our club and manager(s) cannot maximize his potentials and make him a better player?

I don’t know which is more frustrated… Pepe getting a red, or there is a sign that our club screwing another young talent.

1 Like

Both from what I can tell

1 Like