Nicolas Pépé

Pepe is a natural talent and has bags of potential. We’ve got a shit team that tries to play a style of football not suited to our players especially our forwards. If Pepe were playing for Liverpool guy would be hitting the numbers we all expected of him. As it stands we’re not going to get fuck all from him or any of our other top players.

If Arteta wants to play a pressing game he should try and emulate Klopp and not Guardiola, we neither have the technical ability in midfield or the type of forwards who can build up slowly but we do have 3 of the fastest attackers in Pepe, Auba and Nketiah and should really be looking to take advantage of their pace. Can’t even count the number of times every game, where one of the three is clearly open with bags of space to run on to and they never get the ball played to them.

12 Likes

How is he a 20+ striker, what are his stats?

Not a rhetorical question, I dont know the data myself

Feeling is for me he’s useless

That’s what he was in Ligue 1, just coming off a 40 goal season in all comps IIRC

Laca was hot property at the period we signed him. There was also a massive lack of available strikers at the time. We tried to sign Vardy and that fell through. Laca was the only real option at the time.

Hindsight is wonderful :sleeping:

3 Likes

I was never keen on Laca. But like you said, there wasn’t much in the market at the time. We weren’t in a position to try an go after and almost impossible deal.

Beyond a close move to Atletico his market was totally dry. It’s not like there was a line of top clubs after his signature

We now know Auba could have been had that summer too

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Auba just came here as a last resort to be able to leave Dortmund.

Otherwise we would have signed him 6 months previously

Nice to see you again Bizzy

1 Like

His relationship with the club had broken down before summer 2017 and he was looking for a move.

We could have unsettled him further with a major bid that summer, Wenger lacked the imagination and aggressiveness to force a deal until the season went tits up and he got desperate to save his skin

4 Likes

Thanks mate, good to be back :+1:t4:

3 Likes

You’re right, there wasn’t much on the market in that window, but we had several windows before that were we could have had a decent striker but stuck with Giroud.

Like most of our transfer dealings and the way the club is run.

2 Likes

Tbf I agree here

My son in law says all the time

“We’d have won the title, instead of Leicester, if we’d signed Auba that summer”

What you recxkon?

4 Likes

We needed a midfielder too really. Arteta and Flamini on their last legs.

Hmm.

I’d say no. Leicester were inspired that season. We beat Leicester in Feb only to go to Old Tartford and lose to a bunch of kids (their worst side in years) 3-2.

There seemed to be that mental fragility about us all the time. Auba wouldn’t have made much difference (He’s not a good “pressure” player)

Probably. Auba wouldn’t go on a 15 game goal draught and ruin peak Özil like a certain frenchman did :eyes:

9 Likes

Tough to tell, but just brining in a player of Auba’s quality could’ve lifted the squad. Sure we needed a MF, but Auba’s pace and quality could’ve been just what we needed.

2 Likes

His argument is that over the season we’d have converted more draws to wins etc coz Auba woulda scored goals

I can barely remember what happened last week so I can’t say anything about it

1 Like

I think we would have.
Giroud wasted too many chances and Aubameyang, playing in front of Ozil and Sanchez, who were in form then, would have scored a lot of the chances we missed.

It would have also meant that Giroud could have been used as an impact striker, which he is pretty good at.

Aubameyang is a top striker and was at his peak then so could have turned draws into wins and would have inspired the players around him.
Having Giroud upfront often had the opposite effect, especially for our midfielders, who’s chances he regularly wasted.

We have had so many seasons thrown away for the sake of just one or two top signings.

6 Likes

Lukaku and Morata also moved that same summer.