Nicolas Pépé

First half was so bad. I think he got slightly better but it was hard not to. And couldn’t finish even still.

To be fair he almost got two goals but just got a bit unlucky

2 Likes

Yeh it wasn’t like Auba who was just plain shit

1 Like

When martinelli got down the wing and then squared it to Auba I was like wow. Maybe you don’t need consistent game time to use your fucking brain.

What the actual fuck was that shot thing when he rounded the keeper.

1 Like

Yeah Auba was just dog shit.

I’d start Martinelli ahead of him at this rate if he’s going to be a little bitch about things.

3 Likes

Yep

7 Likes

Just standard inconsistent performance tonight. He doesn’t do consistency because he doesn’t have enough discipline of his own game.
He is what he is skilled but flawed by not addressing his faults.

7 Likes

The problem with Pepe the moment he gets consistency he is benched, it’s become a repeated process.

2 Likes

Hard to find consistency with how inconsistently he is given chances by Arteta.

We’ve yet to see him get a proper run of games. In the longest run he was given this season he looked our best player, and that was with Saka and ESR on the pitch. As always, it was cut short for whatever reason.

If we keep using him like this by the end of the season then we must explore the possibility of selling him.

Waste of his limited time as a footballer, and we can at least reinvest on someone the manager wants to use.

3 Likes

He’s started more than a few games recently.

In terms of being deserving of more game time sure that’s an argument but I don’t buy more games is going to change what he is a player, simply put he’s just not THAT guy. We were robbed blind, it is what it is. Inconsistency is the name of his game.

4 Likes

I get where people are coming from when they talk about consistent game time but hear me out, I have an agenda to service

Since 26th Jan, we are only in 2 competitions
6 starts(8 appearances) out of 9 PL matches

It only looks like he is not getting starts because He is overlooked in Europe and that one PL match he didn’t start came between European matches.

If you give a player 7 starts and 2 appearances with significant minutes out of possible 13 matches, can you really say he is not getting consistent game time?

2 Likes

That villa game is what got him dropped, he was awful and he didn’t square the ball once to an open team mate…over and over again and he keeps on fucking doing it.

2 Likes

He’s the kind of player that can go through a game looking like he hasn’t done anything but end up with a goal and assist. At the end of the day I’d rather that than someone who looks good but has no actual output.

I don’t think he can be judged on the games where he has to come off the bench, and when you look at the amount of times that happens above I think he can feel aggrieved he’s not getting more of a chance

He played 50 percent of games where players like Saka, ESR, Auba, Odegaard tend to play and he has not made any claims to play more than them.
What he got is what he deserved or what other deserved more of.

1 Like

In the premier league for arsenal:
Pepe 10 goals 6 assists in 51 games (goal/assist per 3.2 games)
Saka 6 goals 8 assists in 51 games (goal/assist per 3.6 games)
Smith Rowe 4 assists in 15 games (goal/assist per 3.8 games)
Willian 0 goals 5 assists in 21 games (goal/assist per 4.2 games)
Odegaard 1 goal 0 assists in 7 games (goal/assist per 7 games)
And I would suspect that a higher % of Pepe’s games were limited minutes/cameo appearances than the others.

Of course this is a limited sample and there are other things to consider than just goals and assists, but as I said before I’d rather someone who looks frustrating but gives you the output than a flashy player who scores a wonder goal every 10 games.

I don’t need stats to know what’s the pecking order of wingers at Arsenal.
Pepe has had an inferior season than Saka & Smith Rowe, and doesn’t deserve more games than them.

There is a third option, someone who is a consistent performer, contributes to the play; and on top of it have tangible output to show for it as well.
Saka & ESR fall in that category. You yourself showed that with the stats provided by you. Similar output as Pepe but with more consistency in overall performance.

Besides that, Pepe is more of a flashy player who scores a wonder goal every 5 games.

1 Like

So what’s the excuse for him not playing when Saka’s been out? (Given he doesn’t generally play on the same side.position as Smith Rowe).

It may be similar but he’s still getting the best output per game when he’s on average playing the least number of minutes per game of every comparable player.

There’s nothing wrong with scoring a good goal :joy: I’m talking about if that’s all the player does and they only score rarely, and you can clearly see from the above stats that’s not the case with Pepe, (or at least he’s doing a lot better with scoring than every other option we have).

As you yourself said there is more to the game than just stats.
Do you disagree that Saka & ESR have had a better season than Pepe?

Thats like one game.

He should really be getting more game time as Saka is reaching red zone and there’s a lot of nothing games left for us in the league before the Slavia games.

1 Like

No love for the guy that created our 3rd comeback goal? Shameful.

Baller, changed the game immediately when he came on.

5 Likes