Newcastle United

Yes I think we would. Not something I really want to participate in and I was really making the point on behalf of the other teams being left behind.
It would be a moral dilemma for a traditional fan supporting a top club I suppose.

1 Like

Yeah idk if I’d want us participating. It would become a totally different sport imo.

Don’t these clubs make more money from TV? I’d imagine that a super league of some sort would get a lucrative TV deal and the league left over (so to speak) would get much less money.

You’re from the States right? Think of it like college football leagues getting different broadcast deals. The SEC has its own network but someone is still paying a shit load of money for Big 10 football rights because of Michigan and Ohio State.

The ESL when it forces its way from the Upside Down into our dimension will undoubtedly have its own network to go along with broadcast (and streaming rights) but it wouldn’t necessarily stop someone like Sky or BT from throwing a ton of money at the PL.

Sure, but it you take the top six out of the EPL, the TV money would be less as those clubs are certainly the main driver of the overseas TV revenue (that is equal to the domestic revenue in England).

If you took UM & OSU out of the Big 10, its TV revenue would drop as well.

I’d prefer no Super League and for City to be heavily penalized and have titles erased—would show that Newcastle can’t just be a City Part 2 over the next 5 years and commit financial shenanigans for success (and yes, I know that in the real world, City won’t face any real consequences).

1 Like

Alright maybe the Big 10 was a bad comparison. Think of the leftover PL teams as the Pac 12. The ESL is probably taking five or six PL clubs max, right? That means someone’s getting left behind from the larger clubs. I’d certainly prefer if they left us behind but I can’t imagine KSE passing up a chance to print money like that.

In your college analogy, the Big 10 or mouth breathers in the SEC have a much more lucrative TV deal than the PAC 12 or ACC. Similarly, I would expect the gulf in the top 6 EPL teams joining a super league and those staying in the EPL to be big monetarily.

If I was a fan of a local team in England, I’d probably say good riddance to the teams leaving.

The reality is without the top teams the PL is only going to attract a fraction of the TV money it does now. Any attempted breakaway would be met with immediate lawsuits and probably injunctions stopping the teams quitting.

The adjustment needed across the entirety of English Football would be seismic and could take a decade or more to play out fully and settle. Clubs would definitely go under.

A team like Villa is operating now on the basis of 150m a year in TV revenue. If that was to become 15 or 30 three years down the line would they be able to adjust quickly enough and reduce the wage bill etc. That gets even trickier the further down the leagues you go and the less PL trickle down happening. PL clubs would probably move to further restrict that trickle down if the TV money started to dry up too…

2 Likes

Undoubtedly there would be a huge hit on money and a few of them owners would want out.
I think though the fanbases would stay strong and the League would be competitive and not lack interest.
I don’t think it would want for sponsors or viewing figures.

1 Like

Within England it wouldn’t be so bad, but a large portion of the global audience are walking away immediately and only focusing on the Super League.

Compared to current levels on sponsorship and viewing figures, it would absolutely struggle for both.

You do start your post by saying that there’d be a massive financial hit, so I think we agree on this point ultimately.

I think it’d be hugely famaging for the sides left behind. It would mean a huge financial adjustment for the sides left behind with the loss of income they’d face, as Shamrock has already said better than I could.

3 Likes

As much as things need shaking up I still wouldn’t be keen on the idea of a super league.
You basically leave the rest burning on a bonfire because without the big teams in the Premier league there will be no where near a such money, you then create an even more massive class divide but amongst football teams.

1 Like

The issue is seeing this in negative terms rather than a excellent opportunity to hard reset majority of the European football structure and reorganize it in a fairer and equitable way with competitive balance and real FFP in mind.

I think you’re probably being naive if you think this fair and equitable structure will be ushered in with the European Super League.

You can theorise about it, and I agree that all sounds good, but I’m highly sceptical that it will come to fruition.

Seems like wishful thinking when coming from a regular fan like yourself who has no vested interest, but also like the kind of cynical BS that the organisers would trot out to try and justify their endeavour.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/sela/status/1667156879443673088?s=46&t=LlMNFvsPPy2ozwuX8FhQrA

wonder how many millions above market value that sponsor will be :xhaka:

That’s their FFP problems sorted for this window.

Operative word being lies.

5 Likes

I think it would look largely like North American leagues with salary caps and salary floors, maybe even a collectively bargained salary structure like the NBA, NFL, MLB. What it definitely won’t do is create an equitable structure within the teams. All you have to do is look at North American leagues to see owners who are perfectly happy to snort up the shared revenue and put as little as possible into their team, especially in a closed league with no threat of relegation. What is far more likely than creating an equitable structure is that a few of the teams in the ESL will become perennial doormats with no hope of winning anything but no escape hatch to a lower league.

Funny how they weren’t eager at all to sponsor them before the big bucks came to the club.

Is this sports washing?

https://twitter.com/nufc/status/1672288468599451653?s=46&t=eJpgg6uHWRsStnASv-OePg