Newcastle United

I’m not gonna blame newcastle fans for being happy though, with what they’ve endured over the years with Ashley.

The pl, Ashley and other vultures that have made football what it is today that Bear the brunt of the blame

1 Like

Oh look Calum is posting another athletic article. :joy:

This is a great read on Ashley. Very long but I like the athletic for these pieces they go so in depth.

TLDR; Very good businessman, Shit chairman

1 Like

What was he thinking with Joe “Yohan Kebab” Kinnear!?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that complicated really.

They are cunts. It wouldn’t sit well with me if this was my club but I’m not naive enough to think I wouldn’t still celebrate any success it brought. I would probably never go to a game again or buy a shirt or whatever but if just giving up watching Arsenal from afar was a real option in my mindset I’d have done it long ago I reckon.

1 Like

That’s no way to talk about our owner. :grinning:

Just because Kroenke has his own TV channel devoted to the shooting of elephants and other wild animals doesn’t make him an evil regime, does it? :wink:

I agree.
From when I first went to Highbury to now, there is nothing that is the same.
Obviously the players, manager and owner are different but the shirts and the badge are different and we don’t even play at the same ground.

Players and supporters used to both be mainly working class and the players wouldn’t earn much more than the average wage.
But that has changed and there is a massive gulf between the players and the people who pay their wages.

Most PL clubs have foreign owners with foreign players and managers and the reason they are here isn’t because they love the history of northern football clubs, it’s because of the money.

Players are mercenaries that will kiss the badge of the club that offer them the biggest contract.
There is no loyalty in the game and managers like Bruce, Alladyce, Pulis, Hughes, Mourinho, Moyes, etc, will drift around different PL clubs claiming that each one is special to them.

The only constant through this are the supporters and without them there would be no clubs.
The greed of pampered players managers and agents has gone too far and when the PL does start up again they should take a good look at themselves.

Football for me, first and foremost, is entertainment. I didn’t grow up with the game because of my dad supported the local club or for any of such reason. I just really like the sport. In that sense I want to see a ‘good product’ on the pitch. Another owner, more money, usually means better players which translates to a better product. In that sense I wouldn’t mind.

And for you as a South-Indian. A lot of your people are treated like dog shit in the UAE. But it doesn’t bother you that we play with Emirates on the shirt or the stadium is named that? Or that that brand/country is actually very visibly represented by Arsenal. Why should other ownership bother you?

5 Likes

Dumb fuck. Actually lot of stories emerged last 6 - 12 months how MBS (I reckon this is about him?) is ruling that country behind the scenes.

1 Like

There are definitely certain nuances I can’t avoid, much like my discussion about abandoning Chinese based product.

I will interact with Chinese products and I will interact with entities who are involved in shady business. These are unavoidable. Emirates being sponsor or an airline that I have to interact with is one of those temporary nuances that I have to live with.

But if I have a choice to not directly be a consumer of Chinese products and to distance myself from being an continually associated with any brand under a Saudi regime, I will take that option, much like I took the option of never working in UAE for that matter.

Quite right football is an entertainment and I don’t need to restrict myself to Arsenal to consume the sport, do I?

And if that’s your motivation, you don’t need to support Arsenal as well.

It’s upto every individual whether they want to or not want to be actively associated with a brand which would directly be involved in n number of unethical activities.

1 Like

He sure is.

It’s evident that his father has given him the reigns in all but name.

At this point I follow/support this club for so long I’m not going to change that because of other ownership.

As far as you’re last question goes. Unethical companies or individuals are intertwined in our lives. It’s a bit hypocritical.

3 Likes

This is why I want the all the big clubs to fuck off and make their own super league.

I’ll gladly follow whatever is left of english football in the aftermath, hopefully there would be a basis to create a more equitable competition and supporter focused structure.

Take your points from the ownership argument.
However your quite critical of Manchester city if not from ownership point of view certainly cash investment reasons. Not seeing how you differentiate if that’s the case.

I am. But at this point I adopted a more if you can’t beat them, join them approach. Especially since this trend never really died down. Wolverhampton and Sheffield are also back in the PL because of their investors.

I’m a hypocrite because of that of course.

The problem is, how far do you go when avoiding certain companies because they are associated with dodgy owners or countries?

Kroenke is a Trump supporter and gave money to his election campaign and any owner of a PL club is going to be linked to dodgy individuals somewhere but where do you draw the line?

Personally I won’t buy any product that sponsor Man U or spurs but that’s only because there are other options.

If it’s a choice between a Saudi billionaire investing in us and buying players like Mbappe, Neymar, Salah, Koulibaly, De Bruyne etc, with a manager like Klopp and we won the CL a few times, or sticking with Kroenke, I know which one I’d prefer.

There are no trophies for winning the moral high ground.

2 Likes

Yeah it is fine. I am not gonna criticize Newcastle fans or hypothetically Arsenal fans to stick around.

1 Like

This isn’t even true. The orignal story when it came out was lazy clickbait spin designed to antagonise gullible Arsenal fans with a narrative that feeds into their own bias.

There’s also no identity to associate with just fabrication.
You sell your history, tradition and soul and left with a product. I also know what I choose.

1 Like

But what does this actually mean? Would you more identify with Arsenal if they had another generation of Bracewell-Smith’s/Hill-Wood’s in charge? Are all the different nationalities (sponsors, managers, players, owners) a problem? How would you maintain history, tradition and soul and would you not feel alienated from Arsenal?

Emphasising again that it is okay to continue supporting the club.

But the off field persona matters for lot of people, Arsenal have had an image of class, consideration to the community and for many, it matters.

Think of the huge fuss everyone had when Kroenke bankrolled that hunting channel.
Now extrapolate it to the level of blatant mutilation of a journalist, funding of militants in Syria etc. There’s shit tons of more blood involved here than in a hunting channel, don’t you think?
What is the cost of this success really?

What I’m saying is Arsenal are already in bed with nations with questionable reputations. The intervention in Yemen for example is led by Saudi-Arabia, but who do you think one of their allies is? The UAE has also been accused of terrorism funding and involvement in the Sunni (Saudi)/Shia (Iran) proxy wars around the world. How they treat foreign workers etc.

Before you say ownership and sponsorship is different. With any sort of activity Arsenal undertakes, the UAE is representated by Arsenal.

Community involvement is not going to end with a change of ownership.