Newcastle United Vs Arsenal (PL)

@Bl1nk mode "But negativity increases Forum activity :giroud3: " :henry2:

Glad to see we won and continue the upward trend towards the top. Which players stood out the most for us today? Defence it seems judging by the comments that we done a bit better today than usual? Still, 3 wins in a row, and back to back away league wins for the first time since May 2017!

1 Like

It feel so weird to win two away games in a row ahah!

Mate youā€™re pretty negative yourself sometimes to be making this post haha :wink:

3 Likes

I nearly fell asleep during the first half, second half we destroyed them. Not sure why Newcastle backed off so much second half allowing us time and space, but Iā€™ll take it.

Barely watched the match. So frustrating. Gonna try and give it a watch later if itā€™s on delayed coverage.
Heard we were shocking in the first half. Anyway, still won and thatā€™s fantastic. Sucks we let the clean sheet slip again tho.

Okā€¦ really weird gameā€¦ I rewatched a couple of bits to start second half and I have to say I still am not sure wtf really changedā€¦ my current judgment is mostly to blame Newcastle for losing their gameplan and energy and then having a hard time getting going at all after we scored.

The time we suddenly had on the ball time after time was insaneā€¦ I can remember so many moments where our player received the ball in the middle ON THE NEWCASTLE side and he could take 2, 3, 4 touches, move the ball forward, drag a defender (EVENTUALLY) to him, than drop it off easily to an open player, wide, back, or even in some cases forward.

Having said that, we largely controlled the game and strangled themā€¦ not a shot on goal until minute 88? Like it. We were pretty limp on attack in first half, but I do credit Newcastle a bit with thatā€¦ they were organized and tough and had lots of men back consistently.

Overall relatively poor quality football match - passing by both teams was all over the shop.

Cech - 6 - hardly anything to doā€¦ did ok when called upon but still looks shambles with feet

Bellerin - 6 - fine, him and Moose need to figure things out though - that side is getting shredded on crossesā€¦ I mostly blame Moose.

Moose - 3 - our worst player by milesā€¦ guilty of the 2 major threats at end imho.

Papa - 7 - best defender for us todayā€¦ recovered well for Moose and overall did well organizing and staying focused.

Monreal - 5.5 - fineā€¦ quiet. Offered little going forward which was a bit odd.

Xhaka - 8 - ok I am his biggest criticā€¦ first half he was average but second half he changed the game, OFFENSIVELYā€¦ responsible for both goals in some ways and grew into game as we strangled Newcastle in second halfā€¦ I blame Newcastle mostly for how the second half went, but have to give credit where credit is due.

Guen - 5.5 - fineā€¦ he probably should start off bench, but I like the lad and if Xhaka reverts to form, I have no issue with him and Torry in the middle.

Ramsey - 5.5 - strange gameā€¦ first half was so awful it is hard to know what to think, but not one of his best games other than some of his nice timely runs into box (TM Aaron Ramsey) - should have slid across pass to Auba in first half for 1-0 (I assume he tried and ball bobbled on him, but should have done better).

Ozil - 7 - also a bit strange, but I liked his more incisive movement without the ball and he definitely played with a bit more directness and sharper movements than sometimes you get with his jogging, looping meanderings (still effective mind you). Good finish even if GK should have perhaps done better.

Auba - 5.5 - not quite there yet, but the guy is a player that can have 80 minutes of being a bit out of it and score 2, so I reckon we persist a bit more as he and Laca get their chemistry going.

Laca - 6.5 - liked his contributionsā€¦ overall good game.

Torry - 6.5 - needs to startā€¦ helps solidify us and makes things harder on opponent in middle thirdā€¦ also good passer.

Mickhi - 5.5 a bit concernedā€¦ not much time, but he looks offā€¦ passing off, mehā€¦ not sure about him atmā€¦ needs confidence b/c he has skill.

Welbz - n/r - Mr. Irrelevant gets some minutesā€¦ good run into box late but couldnā€™t quite get it on goal - probably should have pulled back and looked for pass.

I missed this :laughing:

That ladies and gentlemen was a nice 3 points away from home .

3 Likes

Very close to the 2-0 you predicted!

1 Like

wtf BBC app is not giving me notifications.
Fuck

How did we play?

First half was pretty dire overallā€¦ second half Newcastle looked sick or something, they were awful and gave us buckets of time on the ballā€¦ beauty of free kick from Xhaka and then nice play by Xhaka to set up second goal (!)ā€¦ overall we strangled them but in traditional fashion donā€™t give up a shot on goal until 88 and they f*ing scoreā€¦

Mustafi was awful and could have been culpable for 2 goals if not poor header by Newc and good save by Cech.

1 Like

Where did Ramsey & Ozil play?

Ozil drifted in from the right, Ramsey more centralā€¦ both seemed to wander a bit, but Ramsey was definitely more central. Often seemed like Bellerin was alone on the right side on attack.

2 Likes

This is a big problem I think. At times Bellerin has been slated this season for getting beaten on his side, but itā€™s as if people donā€™t take into account that he has absolutely no support in front of him.

This is yet another reason why Torreira simply HAS to come into the eleven for me, as he can shift over and cover for him.

Two away wins in a row. What is life.

4 Likes

We got 3 away all last season and weā€™ve got 2 in our first three this season. It really puts into perspective how poor last year really wasā€¦

4 Likes

Accurateā€¦It was one of the things I was afraid of before the season started. I think Ozil should occupy the central areas majority of the time.

With Ramsey, Iā€™m happy to let him walk at this point or trying to generate some funds in Jan from a sale tbh. Heā€™s not essential to the future of this side imo

Generally, our attack seems disjointed which lacked any real rhythm. We looked better in the 2nd half but 2 shots on target out of 12 shots simply isnā€™t good enough against this kind of opposition and the quality on the pitch. Very worrying signs overall tbh, questionable performances from Auba need looking at too, his general play was below average and if he isnā€™t poaching questions have to be asked.

Everton should be a interesting test

2 Likes

I do agree with this. The general performance has been sugarcoated by the result ultimately.

Our ability, or lack of ability to carve out clear cut opportunities is a big worry of mine going forward. Even against Cardiff the goals came from sublime individual out-of-nowhere efforts from Laca and Auba which would feel unrealistic to rely upon on a regular basis.

But given our recent run on the road last season Iā€™ll happily prance in joy with the 3 points.

1 Like

Just got back. The Geordies ainā€™t as bad as youā€™d think! Theyā€™re all right. Shaking hands before the game, wishing us luck (never experienced that at an away ground, ever)

@Phoebica I drove past one of those Pulse & Cocktails shops on the drive up. Didnā€™t dare go in, though!

4 Likes

Im just glad you got back in one piece mate.

2 Likes