Newcastle United

Surely you understand the difference between a brand and a state.

1. Our obligation towards Emirates is the naming rights and the shirt logo. Emirates is state owned organization yet it is more or less like any brand out there like Nike or BMW.
    We give a certain service for the money Emirates provide us, much like the deal we have with Nike right now. There is a give and take.

2. We know where the revenue of Emirates comes from. They are one of most profitable airlines in the world. It helps when we can perceive that the money is coming from a legit source.

PIF is owned by Saudi Prince and will have 80% share in Newcastle ownership.
What service is City owner, PSG owner & Newcastle owner get in return for their investment?
Without any give & take, it is essentially all the success being bankrolled by Saudi money.

What is the source of income for PIF?

Itā€™s easy for me to digest being associated with Emirates. I can somehow justify it.
It is not at all easy to be associated with PIF. There is no justification to a journalist chopped in pieces.

1 Like

Emirates are state-owned like you said. You really canā€™t see one as a separate entity from the other. Any sort of gain the airline makes the UAE/Dubai and the royal family directly benefits from.

Also the airline is a subsidiary of The Emirates Group which is a subsidiary of the Investment Corporation of Dubai. That Corporation and the PIF are both investment vehicles, one for Dubai/UAE and the latter for Saudi-Arabia.

For Saudi-Arabia, Qatar and Mansour the return theyā€™re aiming for is the future after oil. Itā€™s a PR vehicle for those nations for tourism, investment into their countries and so fort. They are not doing it just as a hobby. In the same manner Dubai is advertising by their partnership with us. You can try to look for differences. But they arenā€™t really so significant.

Again. Saudi-Arabia has done some really dirty shit. But other nations in football donā€™t have clean hands.

2 Likes

Well I guess you have me convinced.
I donā€™t think I want to be an Arsenal fan anymore.

1 Like

Just caught a podcast with a Newcastle fan blogger talking about how heā€™s appalled at the ā€œprivate schoolā€ journalists who have sour grapes about the takeover. Heā€™s convinced himself that the only reason people give a shit about the Saudiā€™s terrible record on human rights is because they donā€™t like Newcastle! He also, for some reason, kept saying that it was okay for Newcastle to get the money because their fans have suffered versus Manchester City who werenā€™t a real club. :arteta:

It was pretty funny watching him tie himself in knots over it. Their fans hated Mike Ashley for zero hour contracts but are totally cool with the Saudis because they think they can go out and buy a whole new XI.

2 Likes

CAT Radio in Barcelona are reporting that Coutinho is a target for Newcastle if the takeover goes through.

lol

Think thatā€™s more wishful thinking from Barcelona. Theyā€™d love to have someone take Coutinho off their hands.

Would be a good move for both Parties

1 Like

Some appointment that. Think heā€™d do well and can actually respect him now :joy:

Oh thatā€™s great. First few million wasted there then.
Guess United miss a bullet though.

Letā€™s say the takeover happens - who will be their Robinho?

I wonder if Newcastle has any kind of international appeal outside of the UK?

They did compete for a little bit, and had some internationals people might have heard of (Ginola, Shearer, Batty, Asprilla etc).

I know some people in Bournemouth that are actually Newcastle fans because of that era.

But is any of that going to make them appealing for anything other than money? I think British people would say it was one of the bigger clubs (top 10 maybe) but I doubt many outside would care.

2 Likes

They were pretty popular in Thailand when I went a few years back. I remember finding it odd that there were so many Newcastle shirts being worn.

1 Like

Considering there was a bit of moral outrage up there when Wonga sponsored the shirt, seems the moral high ground has shifted somewhat.:thinking:

2 Likes

Santiago Munez was a fan favourite once too :grin::grin:

3 Likes

Maybe James Rodriguez? If he fancies the cold.

Iā€™m hoping Lacazette is their Adebayor :wenger2:

Itā€™s mental to think how many phases of teams City had at that time.

They had that ā€œnew moneyā€ team of Robinho + some top 6 kind of players (Bellamy, Bridge, Given, SWP), then like a year later I think had Tevez, Adebayor, Barry and Toure as supposed top 4 kind of players and then they suddenly had a really legit team with Yaya, Dzeko, Silva, and then Aguero (and probably Nasri) the icing on the cake within 3 years.

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers: :grin:

Be fair here mate, itā€™s not like Saudi royal family have done anything as evil as employ people to work for a sports retail giant on zero hour contracts.

2 Likes

Youā€™re never faster than the ball.
If you know, you know.

1 Like

It really depends on the clubs success. Who gave a few shits about Man City or PSG fifteen years ago? But now that they are winning you see merchandise of those two clubs everywhere.

1 Like