John Monchi

I agree.

Let’s also not forget how attractive a prospect is of coming back to your home town after a stint far away from home.

Not if you’re from Stoke it isn’t

1 Like

Depends how much you like pottery

Funny how amazing home can be for some. I know a mate born in Sheffield who rants about Rome being known for being built on 7 hills… yet no one gives a shit that Sheffield is also built on 7 hills :rofl:

1 Like

Costa is good, tbh. They a great capuccino.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll let them know

1 Like

Rip off merchants.

The fact that food is shit in the UK is a myth, London more so. It can be just as shit in Spain, you’ll catch campylobacter just by walking in some of the shops.

Obviously scared by the pressure that would have been involved in the Arsenal job.

2 Likes

I was kind of surprised to read Monchi say at his press conference that he wanted to go one way and I wanted to go another way

I appreciate that Monchi never set out to fail at Roma but I want to make something very clear; right from the start, I was very clear about the direction I wanted us to go in and that’s why we spent a lot of money bringing Monchi in.

From the start, I said I wanted first class coaches, first class performance staff, first class medical staff, first class scouting and recruitment and a first class football organisation. I gave Monchi the keys to deliver that. I gave him 100% control to appoint the coach he wanted, to employ the assistant coaches and the performance staff, to manage the scouting and to bring in the players he wanted. If you look at our results and our performances, it’s clear that this hasn’t worked.

In November, when our season was going from bad to worse and everyone could see that the coach was struggling to get a reaction out of the players, I asked Monchi for his Plan B should things continue to get worse. He had sole responsibility for football operations at Roma but he didn’t have a Plan B. That was November. He said his Plan B was just to keep doing the same as Plan A.

So, if I read or listen to the radio interviews he’s giving where he says that the idea of the ownership was different to his and that is why he left, please let me know what Monchi wanted to do differently? He asked me to trust him and let him do it his way. We gave him complete control and now we have more injuries than we’ve ever had and are in danger of missing out on finishing in the Top 3 for the first time since 2014.

2 Likes

Mental that he literally had the control of an entire club.

2 Likes

I notice he has been demoted from ‘John’, to ’ '.

Rightfully so imo, he can’t quit on us if we quit on him first.

1 Like

What annoys me about all this is I had no idea who this cunt was before we were interested in him and I don’t really understand why I should care that we were interested in him.

Like what is actually wrong with the sport when we’re turning the limelight towards scouts and agents. What’s next do we start getting excited over signing the best tea lady in the game.

I feel as fans we’re giving these blokes way too much fame and recognition when the reality is they’ve just got a cushy ass job through nepotism.

10 Likes

I agree BRING BACK SVEN !

2 Likes

We’re just going to promote from in now I think, Francis Cagigao and Steve Morrow were sounded out before.

1 Like

Somebody is responsible for appointing the coaches and finding the players who bring success to the club. I don’t really care if they happen to be in the role of Chairman, vice-Chairman or Director of Football/Head of Recruitment, but these guys have a major influence on the direction of a club. His track record at Sevilla for finding the right coaches and players was just really good. Fans these days just have a lot more knowledge through the internet and all that of people behind the scenes.

The last part is just life. Not only in football, but in general your network and the relationships you have build could play a major part in your career. If you know the right people it could be easier to get into certain positions.

1 Like

Just bring back Wenger and let him identify the talents.

Yeah. And he would write 9/10 negative scouting reports, because too expensive :yum:.

1 Like

I’m torn on who’s to blame for the Roma decline. Part of me feels like JP is right and Monchi was the cause of the team’s sharp decline and other’s feel like JP isn’t accepting enough responsibility himself.

Either way I’m not upset we didn’t get him.

In fairness, wasn’t Malcom also like a one flight away from being a Roma player before Barcelona hijacked it? Would of changed things around.

Wonder how things have been going recently for John.

4 Likes

Good times. Thread appropriately renamed.