John Monchi

If a dude we hire has zero impact on what we do this summer, then why would a top candidate even want to come here? That doesn’t seem logical to me.

I get the angle that more responsibility will lie with Emery, but we created these exec roles to split responsibility up (i.e. moving away from Wenger dictatorship structure). There is a reason we hired one of the most rated scouts in European football as it was supposed to be an important position for him at the club. Unless we are already moving away from the new structure, it strikes me as a pretty gaping hole in our decision making process.

I’m sure that between the manager and current execs, the areas we want to strengthen have been identified by now. Even if we hire somebody in mid-April, that gives them up to 3 months to the transfer window, and about 4.5 months before it closes. That seems like plenty of time to get involved in the identification of targets especially as that person will have certain players in his mind when he takes the job anyway.

As in there’s physically not enough time for a new hire in the mooted role to assess the squad, liaise with the scouting team/Manager/Owner, and prepare for the summer window of 2019.

We can still attract candidates and if we made a hire now, their preparation would start fully with the summer of 2020 and moving forward into the future.

Just my opinion, but this simply is not enough time for anybody to strategize effectively for the summer of 2019. This is a massive club, there too much to do, too much to know and too much data to analyse for a new hire to be effective for this summer.

I think Monchi could have gotten away with it because he was working at a top club, so his information is current, he aslo knows Emery and the profile of player he prefers but anybody else i’m not sure they can do the job to the best of their ability 3 months in

I think you’re largely right, but I don’t think it is that black and white… the new guy (obviously depending on when he is hired at this point) will have some input and some role in helping that, especially since the end of the summer transfer window is a long way away and you never know how the chips are going to fall with other sales across the entire market… (eg Ozil).

Bottom line is we really need to get it sorted out but it also isn’t that huge a deal. A club like AFC has a huge scouting staff, huge management staff, has manager now in place for almost a year, and apparent support from Raul so we are ok if this drags on a bit.

1 Like

That was when Gazidis was here. It seems since Gazidis has left Sanllehi has taken the reigns. I’d guess that both Sanllehi and Mislinat both wanted Gazidis role.

Also a football clubs recruitment isn’t just about the head scout. It’s about the whole scouting team and convincing the player to join. We almost signed Mbappe before Monaco but didn’t manage to convince him at that stage. Nothing wrong with the scouting there but a big problem with sealing the deal.

Sanllehi and Emery will already have a list of players for each position anyway. It’s not rocket science tbh, here’s mine:

Centre Back - Koulibaly, Alderweireld (release clause), Kompany (free), David Luiz (free)

Winger - Sancho, Pepe, Malcolm, Lemar, Suarez

We just need Sanllehi to close some deals and if he can pull of Neymar hopefully we can back him to do similar.

We should have the same exact strategy in hiring the next guy as we did with Sven. Look at the clubs in world football who are always getting the gems before anyone knows about them. Whoever the fuck is doing the recruiting for Monaco would be my first call. Mbappe, Silva, Mendy, Martial. He seems to have a good track record. Lyon is another one. Tolliso, Benzema, Fekir, Lacazette, Ndombele ect.

2 Likes

Whoever found Bernado Silva deserves a thousand gold medals. To think he was in the Benfica U21 squad only three or so years ago and unable to break into the Benfica team sounds crazy.

1 Like

Are my eyes deceiving me :eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah cool story bro.

1 Like

BRING BACK SVEN

4 Likes

To quote the great Phil Collins, I don’t care anymore.

1 Like

“I evaluated all the offers on the table and even though the Arsenal job was more high-profile, challenging and ultimately more rewarding, I realised I had a small dick and therefore pussied out…ahem…I mean found the Sevilla project well within my comfort zone and so opted for the route that demonstrates I have no ambition whatsoever.”

12 Likes

Sounds like we dodged a bullet, to be honest.

1 Like

Thread moved and title de-bantered.

Time to forget about this small dicker.

6 Likes

Probably took a quick peek at his ‘expectations’ vs. ‘resources’ situation if came here and then skipped downstairs and booked 10-ish flights to Sevilla just in case the first few ones get lost in the Bermuda triangle :giroud:

2 Likes

“Their project”- to finish in the Europa League at best?

Go after Luis Campos from Lille. He’s the dood who built Monaco and discovered Mbappe. Chelsea have been sniffing around him for quite some time apparently.

1 Like

Wealthy Spaniard in prefers Spain to England shocker.

I know lots of people from countries like Portugal and Spain who hate living in the UK. Everything is expensive, the weather is shit, the food is shit and you can’t get a real espresso.

4 Likes

But I thought London was the best place in the world?!?!?!?!?! :thinking:
(Don’t kill me lads, I love London :kissing_heart: