Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

1 Like
1 Like

OH MY GOD JUST ANNOUNCE IT

2 Likes

Hyped :xhaka:

He never bosses you in a bad way. Ah, the embodiment of those Wenger values :giroud2:

The only way that will happen is if he is still with City.

All jokes aside, I think the appointment of Arteta is just the club/board hiding behind the fact that they donā€™t want to offer a transfer budget a reputed, proven manager would want, so they are spinning it like they want a young manager. In other words, give a young guy his first big break and he will be so glad that he wouldnā€™t really crib too much about the transfer budget. Plus Mislintat will probably convince Arteta that he can make 50 million go a long way with his bargain deals. Besides, Arteta will find it a lot easier to impose his ideas on young players than players that were his team mates until a couple of seasons ago.

1 Like

Exactly.
I always knew we were never going to get a manager who is successful but needs to spend in order to achieve results.
But I thought it would be someone like Simeone, who is successful on a limited budget, with loads of experience, who could organise our defensive players.

Not only will Arteta be cheap because his wages will be a lot less than Wengerā€™s, but the board wonā€™t let him have the power Wenger had.

1 Like

Now that Gallas is unsure, surely you guys must be more convinced? :arteta:

Aah, where this glorious love story began :heart:

https://twitter.com/ArtetaTactic/status/997571294165192705

2 Likes

The reviews of him at City are very positive so on the football side it looks good. The mental side is whatā€™ll test Arteta most. But he has a great hairline so I assume heā€™s immune to stress :stuck_out_tongue:

Thatā€™s the problem. Donā€™t know if he is ruthless enough.

We will have to wait and see if he is.

Iā€™m not even sure he knows if heā€™s fit to be a manager.

1 Like

I think he believes heā€™s ready otherwise I doubt heā€™d accept the opportunity, above all else heā€™s an intelligent guy.

Whether he truly is ready is another matter entirely though.

1 Like

Truth is no one, including himself, will know till heā€™s actually here and managing. Massive gamble for the club and a stupid decision in my opinion.

3 Likes

Managers arenā€™t like players, a player can look great in youth teams and not have it translate to senior level, but a manager you can get a very good feel for in interviews, IMO. The people who know best if Arteta is worth the gambleā€“and no oneā€™s saying it isnā€™t, because yes, thereā€™s obviously risk wherever there isnā€™t track record, but then thereā€™s risks with every manager we could potentially appoint (the question is if the potential benefits outweigh the risks)ā€“will be the people who are interviewing him. If they decide he is the one to go with than there he has likely shown a lot to convince that he is ready.

Another matter is if you have no trust in Gazidis and the like, and think they are incompetent. I personally do not.

So a team who have a legacy of winning leagues, cups, being invincible and being Champions League stalwarts are going to hire a bloke as manager with:

• No first team managerial experience.
  • No number two managerial experience.
  • No reserves managerial experience.
  • No youth coach managerial experience.

BUT, apparently thatā€™s okay because he was an unremarkable captain at our club, he has good hair and he has stood next to Guardiola holding an Ipad for a while? Oh, and some other lads said nice things about him.

This club is going to cause me to have a complete and utter breakdown.

10 Likes

Has Arteta not got any managerial experience?

Why didnā€™t someone point that out earlier?!

1 Like

Just bringing you all the bleeding edge breaking info. Iā€™m thinking of launching my own ITK account :hipster:

On a serious note though, I donā€™t want to sound like an AFTV extra but the lunacy of all of this, the acceptance and resignation of the fanbase, the mental gymnastics at work to put a positive vibe on any of the whispers and rumours is soul destroying. I canā€™t think of any single appointment in this vein and in the modern game that has EVER worked out well.

5 Likes

Bit over the top there lol

Return of the :crown:

Somebody explain revisionism to me. What the f is that if not some high handed way of saying I prefer the former to the laterā€¦? No canā€™t be, they donā€™t talk that way in Finsbury Parkā€¦ I go along watch the match and go home to fish and chips, win or lose. But I never ā€˜reviseā€™ the resultā€¦thatā€™s historyā€¦like Wenger

1 Like