Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

Let’s hope so.
Assistant to Allegri would be good.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/beINSPORTS/status/997066674649026561

Is it weird to have thought that after 22 years living and working in England his accent would be a little more ‘English’ at this point than it actually is? Always a bit suprised hearing him speak.

:grin:

2 Likes

@SDGooner @Gladiator

You gain your accents between the age of 7-9, so if you aren’t living in the country and speaking the language at that age it is extremely unlikely that you get a native sounding accent from another language.

It happens occasionally for some people but it’s very difficult and that’s why it’s rare to meet someone who is fluent in a foreign language but also speaks it without accent.

1 Like

So what about Schteve Mclaren then :rofl: ?

1 Like

That was so clearly put on.

That or he’s a linguistic savant who can really just live himself into the language and culture haha

Like Joey Barton after he was in France.

Change your tune brah :stuck_out_tongue:

@SDGooner was saying his accent hasn’t changed, not that he hasn’t perfected it. There is a difference.

He’s still in a position though, probably with a contract and a club who’d have to let him go officially. It wouldn’t be very Arsenal to announce under those circumstances.

I distinctly remember Arteta being in the frame for a Spain call up. I can’t remember when exactly but I do recall being disappointed that he missed out (which was probably to do with his age). Probably around 2013.

I mean, he didn’t get the call-up but it still probably says something about how he was performing for a time.

He was definitely rated highly at one stage, but that has probably been forgotten as he declined a great deal towards the end and was everybody’s favourite scapegoat (not saying it was right or wrong btw).

He was great at reading the game and very rarely got dispossessed. I always had the impression that he was a very intelligent player. But physically, he just dropped off a cliff and couldn’t be as effective as he used to be.

I’m not sure what his performance levels as a player have to do with his ability as a manager, so perplexed as to why this debate has continued to rage on.

4 Likes

Big Eck’s a fan.

1 Like

Are you new round here? :grin:

1 Like

I remember him being lined up for an England call-up because he had never been in the Spain team and had an English passport. Therefore qualified to play for England. Strange stuff

After my quip about apparent OA divination, I thought I’d better look into it a bit more to try to clear all this up once and for all.

It turns out all of us OA’ers have been divining completely unwittingly for ages using Chresmomancy- the art and practice of divining the past, present and future by listening to the ravings of lunatics. :wink:

Unfortunately I’m not convinced it’s 100% accurate, but let’s not give up on it yet.

Next raving please.

1 Like

Arteta had a dirty side to his game as well, so he won’t be a naive purist.

Wonder what it would be like with arteta and cazorla coaching together if cazorla is not able to return could be interesting

Absolutely, he was incredibly clever with his fouling and with his little dives when he was under pressure and didn’t have a way out, did a great job compensating with his intelligence and gamesmanship for his lack of athleticism or dribbling ability…had with us basically the same dribbling ability as Xhaka does but about 10x the pressing resistance (since people are so prone to hyperbole and twisting words in this discussion, I guess it’s necessary I add the sidebar that this statement before the parenthesis is consciously hyperbole).

Now, linking that to the assertion that “he won’t be a naive purist” is a bit of a stretch, but everything I’ve seen and read from him suggests that he is not at all that. Anyways, Guardiola is definitely not a naive purist, so he won’t have been learning in the school of ‘naive purism’ in these couple years.

1 Like

McLeish. Enough said

Problem Mr Chief AOB? (ArtetaOutBrigade) :wink:

1 Like

Well, i don’t think McLeish is very reliable.