Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

chill out Mario

3 Likes

Arteta as manager ā€¦ we are in enough mess as it is .

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC/status/970913747568128000?s=19

2 Likes

I doubt the truth of that source but why this glorifying of Arteta by fans? Not only on this forum but in others too. Was he such a good player for us? Was he a good captain (whenever he wasnā€™t injured)? What qualities would make him a good manager?

2 Likes

Those two sentences seem unrelated, I canā€™t imagine they were discussing the merits of Arteta as manager in the dressing room directly after a loss to Brighton in early March.

2 Likes

Well they couldā€™ve been leaked by the same source at the same time.

But yeah I donā€™t get the obsession. People talk about ex players knowing what it means to play for the club and the fans etc. but Arteta signed for a club whoā€™s last result was an 8-2 loss and continued to be there while we were shit.

Heā€™s only even slightly interesting because of who his boss is.

8 Likes

Donā€™t think he is arrogant. He has always been a silent leader. The problem is that he has never managed at high level. Can we stop being greedy and get a good manager to replace Wenger for once?

Lol

Fuck it lads, Tedesco sold bloody Mercedes Benz cars before he managed Schalke so I guess there is hopeā€¦ Right?

3 Likes

Of course thereā€™s hope. Heā€™s Mikel fucking Arteta Amatriainā€¦aka the Basque God. Waiting to fulfill his destiny as Wengerā€™s successor and supersede his flawed legacy with that of a leathery skinned Basque godā€™s.

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is the right appointment at all, I really think it needs to be someone with experience of being the man at a top club.

I wonder if heā€™s the kind of guy that Gazidis thinks will fit into his new structure and recognise him as top dog in a way a proven top level manager might not.

That said, I donā€™t think itā€™s as terrible as it could have been if we did go to Arteta. He was hugely respected when he was here, and there are enough people still at the club who will remember that. I seem to recall we really wanted him to stay and be a coach here.

If weā€™re not going to get a top level manager then the next best thing is someone who has been learning the trade and I think itā€™s better to have someone like Mikel who has been at a club winning things and seeing how itā€™s done at a top side than going the United/Moyes route of appointing a manager who has been successful at a lower level.

Plus we all love Arteta and even with the odds against him I think thereā€™d be a lot of people ready to get behind him and support him in much less divisive way than the last years under Arsene.

1 Like

Hmm Iā€™m not sure. I think if things donā€™t start well there will be a lot of people vociferously going on about how they said they said it was a bad move in the first place, how we needed experience, how our owner and chief exec are tight arse cunts who know nothing about football.

Iā€™m not sure if Arteta is as universally loved by Arsenal fans as you think either (to be clear Iā€™m one of those who like him). I think a lot of fans think that he is emblematic of the shit Wenger years and didnā€™t rate him as a captain or central midfielder.

Nobody knows until it happens, so I hope Iā€™d be wrong if he is appointed, but Iā€™m really not sure that people will have much patience for him.

5 Likes

People will be more patient with an established manager than Arteta.
With Arteta, every loss will bring up plenty of told you so moments.

I actually have no opinion on how I feel about Arteta as manager.

6 Likes

Well the patience of football fans is undoubtedly short and there will always be those who demand a new manager after we draw our first pre-season friendly, I just think Arteta would get more of a crack with most people than another coach with his background and experience.

1 Like

Definitely, look at Marco Rose aswell he played for Klopp and worked with Tuchel at Mainz and heā€™s been brilliant in his first season.

Beat the likes of Sociedad, Marseille (twice), Dortmund & Lazio en route to the Semiā€™s of the Europa League with this team

Three of those players Haidara, Schlager & Wolf all played for his youth Champions League winning Salzburg side too that beat teams like Man City, Psg, Atletico, Barcelona & Benfica along the way.

His assistant Rene Maric (25) used to be a blogger too and a brilliant one at that.

Arteta is a risk but so is pretty much every manager out there right now for me barring Tuchel, Sarri & Allegri and like Tedesco, Naglesmann & Rose he could turn out to be one well worth taking.

3 Likes

A lot will have patience, but I think a very significant number wonā€™t at all. I think appointing Arteta actually could be very divisive, very quickly.

2 Likes

For me you bring in a much more experienced and certified manager to deal with the overhaul regarding culture, mindset and tactical nous that has been sorely missing over the years.

Let him build a foundation upon which say a bold and riskier appointment like Arteta, Nagelsmann, Fonseca, Tedesco et al can build upon.

The club is in a very precarious position right now, weā€™re firmly at the bottom of that mini league between the top six and if they get this shit wrong we could be set back for a long time.

Also I donā€™t want to see this possibly great combination of Ozil, Auba etc in their prime pissed away because we chose the wrong guy at the wrong time.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s also the ā€œtold you so, be careful what you wish forā€ merchants that are just waiting for the next guy to fail.

3 Likes

Arteta would be the ultimate vanity appointment. Reeks of arrogance based on a sense of phony principles

Complete denial of the situation the club is currently in and the depth of the job required to make us compete.

This club is determined to learn the hard way

7 Likes

Iā€™d be worried about the future and the ā€œnew structureā€ if only young, unproven managers were the correct fit to work within it.

4 Likes

Spoiling my big moment like that :grin: