Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

It’s only non sense because you have a massive Spanish bias.

1 Like

Why though? The fact that he works for the biggest/richest clubs in Europe is a testiment of his quality.

1 Like

I understand the biggest clubs all want him so it won’t happen, but I just think winning a league title with say Arsenal or Liverpool would add to his greatness more than destroying the league with Manchester City.

1 Like

WAR is a baseball analytics concept for players (and managers actually) that represents their value delta to a “theoretical” replacement player (who is more/less an average or slightly below average player in the league). In other words, if you took that player out and put in that REPLACEMENT, you would lose (or potentially gain) their WAR in wins.

PAR is just modified version b/c football has 3 results (Win, Draw, Loss) and points is probably a better way to think about it.

If people can’t appreciate his greatness, because he doesn’t win with Arsenal or Liverpool, Guardiola isn’t the problem here.

I’ve never said I don’t appreciate what he’s doing it’s outstanding, but I think that would simply add another string to his bow. FWIW if he had a 3 year deal at Arsenal I have little doubt he’d win a league title in that time.

Why? Because it’s a greater accomplishment where the circumstances aren’t perfect/ideal.

Most clubs aren’t set up like Man City on and off the pitch. If he ever got Arsenal doing what City are currently it’d be more impressive achievement imo

It would take alot of managerial skill in terms of tactics and player management to bring a club with limited resources to his vision of football

2 Likes

Well his achievements are good but, you’d have to question the circumstances.

Pep went from Barca to Bayern; from there he went to city, there is a common theme all these teams have limitless money or pulling power to attract players.

5 Likes

He goes to those clubs because he is great. If he would be mediocre he would end up at Arsenal.

4 Likes

Haha that doesn’t make you great at all. It just means money is your only game

1 Like

Too get an opportunity at three of the ten biggest/richest clubs in Europe you have to be great at your job. The biggest/richest clubs are after the best personnel, managers and players. You don’t get those opportunities if you aren’t great.

If he isn’t the best manager, who is?

Such a shame that like Pep, Messi has never proved himself at a small club.

3 Likes

Quite a few people has said messi has never really done great outside of Barca

Well he started off as an interim at Barca and won things so they made him permanent…thus things snow balled from there.

Except take his country to multiple tournament finals and single handedly drag a dire Argentina side to the World Cup yet again.

Messi could spend the rest of his career at Barcelona and still be the greatest player of all time. I don’t actually even really think there’s much of a debate to be had about it anymore.

And let’s be honest, Pep doesn’t need to prove himself at a small club to be great. He assembled the greatest club team of our generation and possibly of all time. He got rid of key figures and built a team made up largely of academy graduates. He helped Messi develop from great to greatest. Allowed Xavi and Iniesta to express themselves in ways that allowed their talents to truly shine. Promoted Busquets, Pedro and multiple other La Masia graduates. Popularised the sweeper keeper and showed the importance of building from the back. Utilised his full backs in ways that made them absolutely fundamental to the success of his team. Utilised the high pressing better than any team I’ve ever seen. They didn’t have a great defence, but they never really needed to fall back on it because of the fierce determination to win the ball back almost immediately after losing it.

And now he’s got his Manchester City team, which is not even the best squad in English football history, completely dominating the league and playing football that no other team seems capable of.

9 Likes

Messi has done well for his NT, higuain fucked it up twice, tevez once among others. Missing sitters, penalties, making issues within the dressing room.

Messi has been great for Argentina.

He is the most complete footballer ever, his numbers are crazy he do things that are impossible for other WC players.

4 Likes

No doubt, @will24 was using irony to make a point.

1 Like

The Kay World Cup the mascerano and the defenders not messi. He one two things and everybody was like yay look so great.

The system Argentina plays doesn’t suit him and that’s why the national team has achieved nothing despite him being there.

The Argentina team has been failing because of poor coaching and poor youth products (lack of quality defenders, midfielders). Messi is the least of their problems.

2 Likes