Super Mik Arteta

Welbeck and Luiz won the FA cup

I always felt selling Toure was a big loss tbh. Clichy was a flash in a pan but in hindsight 7m wasn’t worth it given the end result was Kieran Gibbs and Andre Santos. What a miserable pairing of left backs that season was. Wenger’s squad building really started getting suspect around that time.

3 Likes

Poor guy gets a bad rep. He was an able deputy who had the Arsenal curse which triggered only when International callup came by.

4 Likes

Each to their own, I felt the complete opposite :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

We don’t win that FA cup in 2014 without Gibbs big head.

3 Likes

Or Top 4 when he got that crucial slide in

Underrated player and another one of those what if players

3 Likes

He was alright. I think the 2nd leg champions league game where Almunia had howler from Ronaldo freekick, Where Gibbs slipped up for the second goal, and a great counter attacking third goal. Contest was over in the first 10 minutes or something. Gave him a bad perspiration about his time here. Definitely not in the Iwobi shitter class tbh.

Come on, That was his debut season and think he was about 19 at the time.

1 Like

Just Remember the person when slipped who scored that goal was Ji Sung Park … That cunt park always seemed to scored or play amazing against us.

I was sweating that night watching Gibbs too, awful fucking display. Very men v boys performance.

2 Likes

I was always a fan of Gibbs but he suffered because of his fitness which was a huge issue. And he also suffered because much like every other young defender under Wenger at the time - he never improved.

I genuinely think Gibbs had the right tools to have a solid Arsenal career but he couldn’t stay fit and string together enough game time and once Monreal got his act together and became a reliable left bsck it was the end for Gibbs

8 Likes

Nothing player who Wenger persisted with for far too long.

He left us smack in the middle of his prime (27-28) and spent the rest of his career first getting relegated and then playing in the Championship.

3 Likes

When you remember these players it just reminds you how long we’ve been garbage for. Can’t believe we all believed in the crap Wenger and co fed us for so many years. Literally a whole decade and some change watching utter trash.

6 Likes

Wasn’t Giroud’s sale enforced by the fact he wanted to play regularly in time for France’s World Cup campaign? Auba was already imminent/signed which left him third choice having already been second choice. I don’t think Giroud’s sale was to finance it. I remember there were a lot of tweets saying neither Arsenal nor Giroud actually wanted to part ways but Chelsea were offering to start him every week.

Thought Chelsea wouldn’t loan dortmund Batshuayi if they didn’t get Giroud or some shit.

Giroud was such a good plan b. Should’ve found a way to have kept him

1 Like

After selling Giroud, the club bought Lacazette the window before as replacement. But Wenger Realised straight way it was a mistake and knew Laca was a poor buy and then bought Auba the next window lol.

2 Likes

I doubt Laca had anything to do with it. We lost Alexis and a talisman was available.

1 Like

We should have sold to City for £60-70m when we had chance. The swap was joke. But glad he flopped at United.

1 Like

Cant believe we didnt win the league in 2016. just saw the highlights from the Leiceister game where Welbz scored the winner. I was so confident we were gonna win it then, only for Giroud, Alexis and dem man to go totally missing the entire spring.

2 Likes

If we’d bought Aubameyang rather than Lacazette, we would’ve had a great chance to win the PL title, we wouldn’t have wasted 60m and Sanchez might have stayed.

1 Like