Super Mik Arteta

We are in early January. I don’t think it is hard to make up 11points.

1 Like

Can’t understand the need and obsession to see fast results(though one could argue our entire society is driven by fast foods and fast delivery services lately, not just football). Personally, I don’t care if there’s a new manager bounce or not. I’d rather we have stability and a better football team over the long run.

1 Like

We would’ve been well and truly out of reach of Top 4 by now had Chelsea been better. But they’re equally inconsistent. The only ray of hope I still have for a Top 4 chance, though it’s looking highly improbable as of now.

Yeah, I mean, I agree with @SRCJJ 's point that results wise it’s been nothing special, but I also think it’s a big leap to think that anyone else would’ve done better results wise/expect us to have done better results wise, and performance wise, while I didn’t like the Palace performance at all, I definitely don’t think we could’ve realistically expected him to have lifted the bar Emery left in Dante’s 9th circle of hell much higher than he has in the first 4 league matches.

1 Like

Yeah. Any other manager could’ve gone better results wise in the first 4 games, or he could’ve done worse. It’s ifs and buts though. But why does it even matter in the first place? To put it into perspective:

Klopp’s first four league games(Liverpool):

0-0 vs spurs
1-1 vs Southampton
3-1 win vs Chelsea
1-2 defeat vs Crystal Palace

Looks pretty similar to Arteta’s results, with both having similar squads to work with when taking over. Not saying Arteta and Klopp are similar or anything, just goes to show the new manager bounce, while can bring an initial phase of optimism, doesn’t really mean much when looking at the bigger picture.

5 Likes

People really forget the state we were in don’t they? If we weren’t Arsenal people would seriously have considered us for relegation candidates. It was that bad. Arteta arrived midway through the season and straight into the Boxing Day hell.
Maybe you’re not happy with the results but the performances are far, far better than what we’ve been seeing throughout 2019.

1 Like

People getting called out on four games. Don’t think anyone is seriously going to judge him on that.
Then again others are totally overhyping and perceiving a future that’s far from certain.
So yeah let’s give it time all round then. Let’s not see any patronising though by the fanboys who are buying the full package on pie charts and bench cams to others.

5 Likes

It’s a big leap to suggest someone else would have done better than 1 win in 4 against Palace, Bournemouth, Chelsea and United? That’s nonsense. We’ve lesser managers start better with lesser squads so it is far from a leap to suggest we’d have gotten better results with another manager.

The performances have improved and I’m fully behind the Arteta project. But the Palace performance was a stark reminder of the task at hand and hopefully now people can be a bit more measured in their praise.

8 Likes

Klopp didn’t improve on Rodgers results in his first 6 months.

Guardiola got only 78 points, 3 more than us, in his first season after spending £192 million with a squad with far more talent than ours.

Fergie had several seasons of mid-table finishes early in his reign.

If anything people underestimate how big a job this is to turn it around.

1 Like

It’s not a big job to beat Bournemouth or Crystal Palace mate. Bournemouth for one, are 19th place in the PL table.

People are equating expecting better results against teams like Palace or Bournemouth to me thinking Arteta should have turned us into a machine by now. That’s not what I’m asking for - I just don’t think he should be lavished with praise as he has been when the results or even the performances don’t warrant that.

We beat both Chelsea and United at home last season under Emery so it’s not as if beating United was a revolutionary result either.

The level of praise has been borderline embarrassing at times. Arteta uses a big word in a sentence about how he wants the ball to be moved forward and you’ve got Twitter threads on it and 20 minute YouTube videos breaking down a good 30 minute performance.

4 Likes

Klopp was getting similar results in his first season though. The manager has several big factors:

1. Culture of mediocrity, entitlement, low standards and expectations
  2. Poor defense
  3. Poor midfield with a lack of creativity
  4. A weak mentality away from home (both Palace and Bournemouth being away games)
2 Likes

Mathematically it’s just doesn’t work out for Arsenal to get top four. The least needed amount of points in the past fifteen years for 4th has been 66 points. Arsenal needs to win eleven out of the last sixteen with a bunch of draws to reach that. We can all take a ‘the-glass-is-half-full’-approach but it is highly unlikely.

Unless the floor is going to drop significantly for what is needed, Arsenal is out of it.

5 Likes

Once we know it’s mathematically impossible, or negligently unattainable, then clearly his focus shifts to Europa League.

We have a squad good enough to win it. Just no more English matchups please.

Just wish we’d break bank for Upacameno though.

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where to put this but fucking hell, they’re really fucking up The Pride Of London, Arsenal.

We’ve just got to lose to Rottenham in Europe to make it a full house.

2 Likes

If those decisions had gone our way, then Emery would probably still be our head coach (assuming a larger proportion of that 9 point swing was during Emery’s reign).

In hindsight, those shitty refereeing decisions / bad luck helped accelerate Emery’s demise. Not all bad when you look at it from that POV.

3 Likes

By that logic, Wenger would have won a title or two and we wouldn’t have hired Emery.

1 Like

You don’t have a table where we would end up each season under Wenger if all decisions were correct so it’s not by the same logic, it’s rather by your pro-Wenger agenda driven logic

3 Likes

yeah baby the best agenda to have :call_me_hand:

If the back pass rule wasn’t scrapped the Liverpool would have won title after title .
The last time the rule was in place Liverpool won the title , first year of VAR Liverpool win the league . The bin dippers have and always will be the luckiest team ever .

1 Like