Mesut Özil

Another reason why he should gtfo then.

I don’t think Ozil should be treated as undropable player but I do wonder how many other managers would come and not facilitate Ozil’s talent in the 11 as best they can.

Gunnerblog actually made an interesting point about Ozil style not becoming out of fashion in modern football? @Darkseid has alluded to something like this before

Why has Emery abandoned the 4-2-3-1 he built his reputation on?

This is ridiculous buddy. Let’s have some context here. This isn’t a Mourinho/Pogba or a Messi/Barca fiasco.
Ozil is a professional that has been at this sport’s top flight for a decade now, working with a variety of characters(Low, Wenger, Mourinho, Ronaldo, etc.). Nothing of substance against hin has ever come out regarding him trying to get the wheel. As far as I’m concerned people have been riding off that shit Ramsey said about Ozil being teacher’s(Wenger’s) pet, which he jokingly said, everyone knows Wenger has been a father to most of our players anyway.
I’m all against giving too much power to players but Ozil isn’t the kind of guy to go into business for himself. I mean ffs, the guy has made a career out of not scoring himself but giving the assist to others.

1 Like

Wonder how reliable the daily fail is.

To me there is blame all around…

Club for doing this stupid contract and putting themselves in the position in the first place where they felt they HAD to… our contract and transfer dealings in the previous ~5 years has been really, really bad from a strategic value standpoint. By giving in to the “oh no, we can’t let our superstar go given we got f*d by Sanchez situation (and the string previously),” they put all the leverage on Ozil in the worst possible moment… knowing Weng was on way out, no way do you lumber new guy with giant contract albatross with a guy who is an odd fit nowadays and is getting into his 30’s.

Emery - should be figuring out better how to utilize him at tactical moments AT LEAST. Giving him a short leash, I get… Ozil hasn’t been great and if it is true he basically isn’t listening to Emery’s instruction, I give him a huge pass, but I doubt it is truly that black/white. Deciding this guy isn’t listening and isn’t a fit and isn’t in your long-term plans is one thing, but this seems like mismanaging one of our more valuable assets (we are the Arsenal, we are after all really good at this).

Ozil - one of my favorite players when he signed - I have his shirt - I love that style of player - silky, skillful, clever, eye-for-pass, sneaky movement, etc. But I do not condone lack of effort and there are certainly times where exertion was warranted and he passed on it. I am not talking about wanting the Sanchez headless chicken running around, and I appreciate Ozil storing up for key moments, but when you lose it and you are right there to fight to get it back and you basically whiff half-heartedly, f*ck that… Lacazette, Auba today; Henry, Bergkamp back in the day were maniacally competitive and didn’t shrug their shoulders like that, at least not that often… If rumors are true and he isn’t listening and isn’t trying hard in training and seems to be a constant sick note and injured oddly, it is really on him to decide how the last chapter of his career will be written… right now it doesn’t particularly seem like he wants to finish like a CR7.

2 Likes

I really don’t think he is. Ozil is being scapegoated. We have been awful defensively or had fundamental issues since 2009-10! But somehow he is the weak link in the chain or at least his style is detrimental to our play? Come on.

Not sure. If I had to guess it would be that he doesn’t feel like he has the right players for the three positions behind the striker.

It isn’t binary… he isn’t THE weak link, but if he isn’t playing well, and one of the dimensions of his play is his absence of defensive contribution, he is ONE weak link.

One way to help protect our “less than IQ 60” defenders is to ensure team in front of them is pressing and defending from the front (that is a whole different discussion and I give Emery massively low marks here - we should be doing this MUCH better - it is his thing too).

Anyway, I think this is a big giant grey area mess with shambles on all sides.

For all my reservation about Ozil and him not deserving that amount, Ozil is still not someone who would be a destructive entity within dressing room.
I am sure if you tell him to earn his wages and put in a bit extra, he will.

I also believe Emery is not the only one with a say in this. The board perhaps indicated to Emery to not play Ozil to ensure he looks for a change.

But now the dilemma is to continue doing the same and hope he decides to leave in summer or use an asset currently consuming 350k a week.

We can’t blame anyone completely.

PS - was there a match today?

No we have a free weekend as we are out of the FA Cup already

1 Like

Agreed. I can’t believe a guy who has won EL 3 times doesn’t value Ozil at all. Something weird and shady is going with the upper ups ij regards to the Rambo and Ozil cases. My guess is that they both have bonuses added to their weekly wages, given their playtime and output. Club has decided they want to go back to their conservative ways and hence have started planning without him, irrelevant of Emery or not.

If the club is willing to save on weekly bonuses to the detriment of the team then it speaks volumes about our ambition.

1 Like

When you say it like this, it pretty much highlights how unlikely this scenario is.

Reality is Ozil has been left out due to a combination of injury/fitness issues and tactically in big league matches. Other than that he’s been playing a decent amount when healthy

1 Like

If you want to look at it cynically, then you would have to factor in the cost of missing top 4 and his impact on that as well… it isn’t sound financial move to put him aside because of appearance clauses in this situation at all.

Didn’t they do it that with Chambo though too?

Yeah supposedly waiting until after the 70th minute or something to sub him on, as any appearances more than 20 mins I think it was triggered more money for Southampton.

Yeah, but good pressing is a collective thing. It aren’t just the forwards and midfielders who are responsible for that. Every player has a job in that. F.e. if they press and the backline doesn’t keep the playing surface compact you’ll have huge holes on the pitch.

If Emery wants to help his defenders he should just let them sit back and counter. That style of play keeps the pitch very small and makes it easier for people to cover for each other. Something I really thought he would be bringing in.

i reckon all of this ozil stuff just has to come down to wage structure. He is by far the most paid of all of the club so i think the board are trying to get rid to keep a structure within the club. Not only what ozil has done not worth the 350k a week being the biggest player wage at the club but i feel the club are worried that when it comes to contract renewals that other players are gonna do a ramsey and hold the club to ransom and not sign looking for wages close to or similar. You will have squad players trying their luck to see if they can get 150-200k a week and our better players wanting parity or at least close. Before you know it we are paying huge wages on players that just arent worth it…so they want to bin ozil because he not only isnt worth the money but they can turn around and say to players if you think you are getting stupid wages here then you will be sold or binned like he was.

Of course it is, which is why you need everyone on same page to be effective.

Not buying that this was a thing. Maybe in his first year when he was 17 but why would we have allowed a clause that would essentially penalise us for playing our own player even 5/6 years after we’d signed him.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure as to I believe it was a thing either, seems kind of strange.