Mesut Özil

Nah he just doesn’t buzz around the pitch enough, so isn’t good enough for an 18 man squad with top quality players like ours.

This Ozil/Eriksen talk gets a bit old tbh. I doubt the past five years would have been any different if we had Eriksen there in stead of Ozil. The rest of the team and the coaching has just been average as fuck. Christian Eriksen wasn’t going to change that on his own lol.

3 Likes

Plus there’s also the fact that Ozil has still been undeniably more creative than Eriksen and he’s done so in more unfavourable settings too lol.

Eriksen is a discount Özil don’t ever compare them haha put some respect on Mesut’s name

2 Likes

Ozil, when he is on form, is one of the best midfielders in the PL but although Eriksen might not be as good, he is more useful because of his consistency.

I’ve said before that Ozil is my favourite player at the club, and I was glad when we gave him a new contract, but if I could swap him for Eriksen I probably would, because no matter how good he is, Ozil is no use at all, if he isn’t playing.

This is a bit untrue. He’s been criticised heavily over the years from Spurs fans for his inconsistency too.

Maybe, but in the last couple of seasons he has been their best player and when he doesn’t play they don’t look as good as when Kane or Alli are missing.

I think even top players go through periods of inconsistency but Ozil has taken his inconsistency to a new level, and not in a good way.

When Eriksen has a poor game, which isn’t very often, he is still a threat to the opposition.
When Ozil has a poor game, he might as well not be playing.

It’s a shame because he can be a genuine world class player, but for the wages he is on, we really aren’t getting value for money, unless he is still selling shirts.

What you’re saying is not true. He’s under criticism even from Spurs fans this season for his regular dip in form. I got this from the Spurs forum and there’s plenty of it too. I have friends who are Spurs fans and they regularly say he’s a good player but he’s inconsistent and that is a big problem. This is all from February alone and I could probably go back and back for years…

It’s just a total fallacy that Eriksen is a beacon of consistency and Ozil is massively inconsistent.

I think, when on form, he’s our most influential midfielder and in big matches he does rise to the occasion, I bet he’ll be back to his best against Dortmund.

However I don’t think that he is attractive to a top level team purely for the fact he just isn’t quite consistent enough. Which is probably why we got him from Ajax not Barca or Juve. He is a better player now but he still has periods of good and bad form and that means at the highest level you can’t build a team around him.

I make no dispute that he’s a fantastic talent but this isn’t his first sequence where he hasn’t been firing right and this leads me to 2 points, he will get back to top form and he will have another dip, oh and he should stop taking corners too!!

He’s not my favourite player at the moment, and probably more critical of him than I would normally be.

He will hit form again soon (& he’s not even been bad to be fair-just not up to the standards We have come to expect)

What’s that? Eriksen’s dip in form coincides with having to play with lesser quality?

I think Eriksen’s dip in form has a lot to do with him playing in the absence of Dele and Kane. Look at who’s around him without those two currently. He sometimes looked lost trying to figure out what to do with the ball when there was no one in a better position to pass the ball to.

Eriksen is somewhat lacking in ability to create chance for himself like Son so he has to link up with someone.

The below sounds like the same criticism Ozil gets…

quite often he is not a all action player, he’s not going to challenge in the air, he’s not a tackler,
he can see passes that others don’t see, he makes passes that create changes

But he is still more consistent than Ozil, especially this season.
I don’t remember Eriksen being dropped because of poor form and that is why I would reluctantly swap him with Ozil.

For what ever reason, be it injury or complacency or a lack of motivation, Ozil is not the player he was, but Eriksen is spurs best player, in the best team they have had since they last one the league and that’s why I’m starting to think that Eriksen is a better player.

Throughout Ozil’s career I have always heard comments about him being perceived as a technically gifted, but also a lacklustre, lazy player. Now lazy it can be just his demeanour. I do think he does more than people give him credit for when calling him lazy.

At the same time, it is no coincidence that Real Madrid let go off him and that at Arsenal he has had his fair share of criticism for his attitude when the going gets tough. He tends to disappear.

Great that he shows up against the Huddersfields of the league, but rarely have I seen him turn it around for us against City, United, Chavs. Or any strong CL opponent.

And for a “world class” player on his wages, one would expect a bit more of that and one would definitely expect him to do what the boss asks him to do.

4 Likes

How could it be in a good way?

5 Likes

Yeah man. Ozil should have beaten those teams on his own. Agreed.

Again - completely untrue. In his time at Arsenal he’s recorded goals and assists against City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Napoli, Dortmund, Bayern Munich and even came up with the goods against Leicester in the season we should have won the title. He’s had his poor away games against the top teams but let’s be honest - we were getting crushed 4-0, 5-0 and 6-0 regularly in big games and that’s got nothing to do with Ozil.

I’m ready to move on from Ozil but it’s totally untrue much of what gets bandied about.

6 Likes

This I agree with I guess. Apparantly it’s not going to happen for him anymore here. I don’t care if that’s coming from Emery, Ozil or Sanhelli but we need to carry on. But he gave Arsenal five really good seasons.

2 Likes

Don’t know what Emery is trying to achieve with this, no Ozil is why our football has been so dire in the last few months. We grind out wins v teams like Huddersfield fgs

2 Likes

I really don’t know :grinning:

1 Like

Ozil’s liked a tweet saying "show Emery, dumb pundits and the world they are wrong’

The reason begins with ‘E’ and ends with ‘mery’

This season, Ozil is not playing at all…

1 Like

You know how some people say that players get better with every game they miss?

In Ozil’s case, he gets worse every game he misses, to many.

1 Like

Against poor sides he gets better, against top sides he gets worse imo