Mesut Özil

Didn’t people have a big problem with Wenger being too soft on his players when they let him down so much?

This is the type of management that was being demanded for…

11 Likes

Those are the few examples I could remember off the top of my head.

But whatever, I’ll just see how this plays out. If we start balling without Ozil and with only the maximum effort players necessary then I’ll hold my hands up.

1 Like

Can count on one hand how many times Ozil has managed a 6 out of 10 performance against a top side since hes been here.

1 Like

I’d have no problem if it was tough love from Diego Simeone as at least you’d have a distinct playing style and the defence would be sorted out.

1 Like

Not with this bunch of players it wouldnt.

3 Likes

I’d say one finger

1 Like

I should have said I’d have faith that Simeone would sort it out over a 24 month period, Emery not so much.

This is a guy that has made a reputation for himself because of the Europa League, it should also be noted one of those seasons he didn’t win a single away league match…

Hopefully Emery proves me wrong in the next 18 months…

1 Like

Exactly. We need tough decisions to get rid of this fucking losing mentality Wenger has left us in. If Emery did it it would be fucking great.

1 Like

I don’t think having starting wingers of Iwobi and Denis Suárez will rid our losing mentality lol.

Gotta start somewhere.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s the long term plan but we certainly need better wingers immediately and if the club don’t have money to invest then bringing Suarez in on loan is better than persisting with Iwobi and AMN on the wings. It’s a low risk loan deal in which we’re likely to lose little money even if we do have to sign him outright in the summer.

This isn’t the signing I’d have liked but we don’t really know how Suarez will work out at Arsenal. He might be like Gomes at Everton (i.e infinitely better than his Barcelona stint showed) or like Tello/Delefeou or any of the other La Masia flops.

Time will tell.

3 Likes

Can see Özil doing well in Italy

1 Like

Oh look, baldy actually has a transfer strategy now.

10 Likes

The problem is that every season we fall further behind all our rivals, we look no nearer getting CL football, we have mid table teams showing more ambition and catching us up, we have a board that clearly is quite content and will not be investing heavily in players we desperately need, Sven has seen enough and left, our defence is worse than under Wenger, if that were possible, we have a new manager who seems as stubborn as the last one and our only world class player looks as if he is going to leave, along with Ramsey, to be replaced by an inferior one.

This situation has been going on for ages and over the last few seasons I have often heard some posters criticising others for being negative.

But it seems to me that a lot of those negative posters made predictions that have mostly been proved right, yet they are still being criticised when it’s clearly obvious we’re in a bigger mess than we have ever been in.

If you can tell me anything to be positive about regarding our club, that isn’t speculative, I will be very interested to hear it.

1 Like

Well we no longer have Wenger or Gazidis. Problem is there is a huge mess to sort out. We are not going to sort over night and its probably going to take a few different routes before you get to where you want.
People praise Liverpool now, but lets remember they went from the disaster of Hodgeson, to limited improvement of Dalglish.
They then went rookie Rodgers and full moneyball till they changed tact to top manager and big investment with Klopp.
They changed personnel behind the scenes within all this. We may or not do it quicker. Bottom line is there is change and thats as positive as it gets for now.

Tagging @Electrifying so Gazidis triggers him

2 Likes

This is true, but Wenger assembled a team full of weak minded players that were skilful but who had easy ride, with high wages not matched by their performances.

It’s these same players that Emery is trying to bully into some sort unit, so until he can get his own players in that are stronger mentally, I can’t see his more aggressive approach, if that’s what he’s doing, working with this group of players.

Like @Luca_from_Italy said, we had a loser mentality under Wenger that is going to be very difficult to unravel.

1 Like

I’ll take The Time credibility over what you might reckon. Player contracts are rarely about mere quality on the pitch. Do you think Alexis Sanchez should be on 3 times what Paul Pogba’s on? Well he is.

2 those explain themselves to be fair. Ben Arfa always had a questionable attitude and didn’t track back. Krychowiak didn’t know why he wasn’t starting at PSG? Well I do, it’s because he wasn’t good enough