Mesut Özil

But the manager doesn’t see him so?

Do you think Ozil starting would have seen as having as few chances on goal? No one is saying he’d change the Liverpool result. But against teams like West Ham Ozil is often in his element.

2 Likes

If this is some kind of motivational play, and it works then fair play I’ll hold my hands up and bow to Emery.

But I don’t really think it will work that way, and history especially regarding Emery at PSG and Valencia shows it hasn’t worked more often than not.

It’s like a Mourinho move, but with double the awkwardness.

I hope he can outlast Emery tbh.

1 Like

I’m glad we’re paying Ozil £350k to garner wins against the likes of West Ham.

5 Likes

If Ozil does leave, we will have the worst midfield of any of the top six clubs, and some of the mid table clubs as well.
It will also mean we will have our worst midfield I can remember.

This really needs to be sorted out in this window, because if it drags on, we’re out of the title race :wink:

2 Likes

The problem is, whom we are going to get after sending Ozil away??

To get a similar quality these days, 42m is definitely not enough. 52, 62, or even 72m.
It looks more like we will get 2 or 3 players from the money that we sell Ozil… quality-wise… who knows???

Another problem is, will we use the money to buy another one?
Or most of the money goes to the bank and reserve fund?

God knows.

IF we have a WC player here and we are not typically a big spending club, the best way is to work with him and play him. Outcast him, make him the resale value low is really bad.

1 Like

It’s all well & good if you have something to show for, for all that hard work.
Sometimes smart work is better than hard work.

During the entire season, we have not had a stable display from our midfield; so despite not being a hard worker, Ozil shits on everyone else.

You can continue to play someone whilst demanding more

1 Like

We won’t get similar quality, because he’s a supremely talented footballer. What we can get though is a better fit, a player (or more) that fits into what Emery wants to do.

If we sell Ozil but bring in players who the manager actually wants and can work with, the team can be better for it despite losing a huge talent.

Let’s be honest as well; Ozil has rarely delivered when the chips have been down against top sides. We can potentially build a collective unit that can accomplish that if we are wise enough to do so once he’s left.

If my memory serves me right, i think Emery has never liked using a number 10 in his line-ups.

But you shouldn’t have to demand that your highest paid players puts in effort on parity with everybody else. Let’s be completely honest, its been 5 years now and the debate about Ozil still rages on and I think that says more about him than it does anybody else.

9 Likes

I love Ozil, but it’s really hard to argue against this fact. Speaks volumes if we’re still having to debate his value to the team at this stage.

8 Likes

I don’t disagree of your theory…

My biggest question is still the same… too much unknown after we sell, and how much do we re-invest.

We sell Ozil in January, that’s fine, we will see how things come up; but it is just terrible to sit him for just only because you don’t like him or you think he is not fit, or you think he does not work hard enough.
With Ozil, we have some creativity and a chance, without him, we are average than average.

As I read through the posts it’s hard to disagree with any of them, no matter which side you are on.

He is our most talented player and the only world class one we have.
He is a match winner, when he is on form, and can change a game with a touch of brilliance very few footballers are capable of.

But it’s also true that he is an enigma.
He can appear lazy, although I don’t personally think he is, and is sometimes inconsistent.
But as @Midfield_Maestro said, if we’re still having to debate his value to the team after several seasons, then something isn’t quite right.

I don’t want him sold because he is my favourite player and I don’t trust the club to replace our only world class player with anything more than someone who is adequate.

No club has ever won the PL without world class players, in fact I can’t think of any that have been in the top four without any, so if we do sell him in this window, only to replace him with another club’s reject, then it’s a big indicator of what our board’s ambitions are and what Emery has to work with.

1 Like

I have been one of his critics. But I still believe Emery & Ozil need to find an amicable solutions.

Amicable…Wenger would be proud of me.

1 Like

Which one of PSG’s big stars did Emery omit from the starting line up and match day squads?

correct. obv. it has happened, but to generalise, no you’re right.

Imagine the Scenes if Ozil starts to tearing it up after his move and we continue to look disjointed and lack ideas in games vs the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Everton & Watford.

1 Like

If that does happen I’m going to really enjoy reading your posts on the subject

4 Likes

I agree in part with your sentiment, but one thing we won’t be saying when we’re playing at Stamford Bridge, the Etihad, Old Trafford, Anfield etc. is “boy aren’t we missing Ozils presence in this match”?

Leiceister, Watford and those kinds of sides are when he’s been great, and that’s part of what has annoyed so many people.

Yeah I’m just saying I’d rather someone that’s great in those matches than Denis Suárez.

But let’s see who he gets in as a replacement, if he brings in top quality then fair enough.