Mesut Özil

Well they were Sven signings and hes gone.:sunglasses:

Ornstein has now actually been quoted as saying that Emery thinks is better for Ozil to leave and Emery has the support of the board.

Do you have the link?

Well that’s confirmation then. Sell him if you aren’t gonna play him. Would love Docoure from Watford. He would be brilliant in an Emery team

3 Likes

“He has no desire to leave, Mesut Ozil, so he won’t be leaving in the January transfer window. I’m told he’s working extremely hard to get himself fit. Reports coming out of London Colney is that he’s now doing extra gym work and he has a positive demeanour. He’s determined to work his way back into the side.

“The word was he wasn’t doing a lot of the extra work most players were, and he is now. I’ve heard positive things about his behaviour, his commitment, his relationships with the teammates."

Really hope he forces his way back in and we see some top level performances. The day they announced he had signed a new contract was one of my favourite days of 2018 :smile: Don’t want that to all be for nothing.

9 Likes

Same here but it doesn’t look good does it?

Come back Mesut, please.

1 Like

Me too.
After the Sanchez saga and Ozil being the last world class player here, I thought he was worth making our highest paid player.

What is it with Arsenal and world class players?
Are we allergic to them, or are they allergic to us?

1 Like

Will he tackle opposition players now?

That’s it. Emery is blatantly not the guy.

As much as it’s a failure on Ozil’s part, it’s also a failure on Emery’s part to not know how to work with him.

Time to cut our losses before it gets really bad.

Smh imagine hiring a manager who doesn’t want to play arguably our best player. Only this club.

More than anything it’s a very worrying sign that players like Denis Suarez and Banega are desired while players like Ozil aren’t.

That’s not the direction where I think this club should be going.

3 Likes

It’s not a failure on the manager’s part to want your best player to work harder. It’s clear that Ozil coasted under Wenger and felt he was better than the rest of the squad so when everybody else worked harder, he chose not to until Emery dropped him from the team and made an example of him.

His 1 assist in 14 games this season says everything about the way Mesut has taken to Emery’s system and he has to (rightly) work harder.

11 Likes

He has played well for the most part when he has been played to be fair.

Also this is something more than ‘wanting more’. He’s not even been benched. This is more ‘GTFO’ right from the start basically. From the outside, and with Emery’s past record like at PSG, this seems like him hounding Ozil out tbh.

4 Likes

Yeah Mesut hasn’t been great apart from the Leicester game. Still no excuses for dropping him from the match day squads tho imo

He’s been shit this season outside of the Leicester game and that’s reflected in his stats. If we’re using stats as a measuring stick of how good he is we need to use stats as a measure of how average he’s been.

He’s not been good enough and has been largely peripheral. I’ve been one of Ozil’s biggest defenders but he’s being paid mega star wages and the performances he’s produced on the pitch aren’t reflective of those wages.

He has to work harder and until then he’s going to continue to find himself on the fringes of the squad and I’m actually supportive of Emery’s decision in this one.

1 Like

I agree there have been games where he’s not been great.

But he’s hardly been given that much opportunity to do well.

He played the Leicester game, was great . Played the Burnley game and gave a great pass for the goal.

Then played shit Vs Huddersfield. (But so did everyone else - only he got yanked at HT.)

Fine, I’d advocate benching him.

But leaving him out the squad, especially when the players he starts usually play so shite and when Ozil isn’t even an option seems petty.

2 Likes

What about the other 10 PL games he’s played? Largely anonymous in most of them to be honest with you. I think he’s been poor this season.

Maybe, but look at the alternatives.

Guendouzi (who you don’t rate that highly) starts every game.

Xhaka is great sometimes and a calamity who regularly costs the team goals the other times. Starts every game.

Torreira who has been brilliant but recently has been gassed. In any case he’s a DM.

Ramsey (another bitpart player) again somebody you think is inconsistent and I agree, but while he’s benched he still comes on in games to change something and usually him being on improves the team.

You surely can’t say Ozil even coming off the bench can’t add something to the midfield shown above? Despite his form.

Leaving him off the bench even is poor.

3 Likes

He is better than other options, of course. But perhaps Emery thinks that leaving him out entirely until he gets on board with the what he wants from Ozil is the only way to get what he wants from him. He probably feels that continuing to play him won’t force any reaction from Ozil, and I can see some sense in that.

Hopefully this talk of Ozil working harder to force his way back in is true and not just more good work from his PR team. At the end of the day, no matter how good you are, in this situation it is the player who has to bend to the managers will, not the other way round. That’s true of football and any profession.

3 Likes

Its so obvious what’s happened. He was afforded everything he asked for under Wenger, and now he has a boss who won’t take any of it. I remember an interview with Ramsey where he called Ozil the teachers pet under Wenger; he was constantly in his office asking for days off, or other special privileges.

It’s regrettable that we’ve come to this (not for me :slight_smile:) and he’s been ostracized, but if Emery favours a collective approach, having a guy around who is used to being treated like a King among peasants probably isn’t a good thing.

Emery and the club have to find a smart way of using whatever funds we eventually can get for him, because if not then the pitchforks will rightly be out. Its a big decision they are taking, and a huge risk for this manager but I support him atm. I hope it’s handled correctly.

1 Like

Its true Ozil got a free pass under Wenger. It apoears Emery is not willing to give him the same privaliges.

I wonder if the Germany thing has anything to do with how Ozil has been this season. Maybe he’s starting to fall out of love with the game alltogether.

1 Like