Mesut Özil

Yes but why is he freezing him out?

If people think that Emery simply came into Arsenal and picked a fight with the biggest player at the club just for shits and giggles when his reputation is on the line with this job, I’m flabbergasted by that view.

There’s clearly more to this situation, it can’t just be that a manager is consistently leaving out our most creative player for no reason at all when we are lacking penetration. Emery isn’t an idiot; he wouldn’t do this if there wasn’t a reason.

2 Likes

You’ve picked a side (which is obviously fine) and it shows in this sentence, because the truth is none of us know if it is for “little reason”, and we probably won’t do until one of them leaves the club.

5 Likes

Exactly lmao

I can’t believe people are so quick to babysit Ozil in this situation and assume that everything is the managers fault.

Arsecast had a great discussion on the Özil situation today. Well worth a listen.

1 Like

That’s actually a good point.

Maybe I should be fair and say ‘for no obvious reason’

I do think though, with the amount of shite reporters like John Cross spout, if Ozil was being unprofessional we’d have had smoke regarding that by now.

For me its because he doesn’t fit Emery’s plans.

The situation is shit right now. Discarding Emery is far more safer than discarding Ozil. Plus, Emery hasn’t set the world on fire and his decisions have been questionable to say the least.
I’ll eat my words if he pulls some wins in the upcoming big matches but each week I get more confirmations that he is a bum that just doesn’t know what he is doing.

1 Like

I want things to get straight out…

There is problem in between Emery and Ozil.
Ozil may not fit into Emery’s system.
Whatever…
I don’t even care if the club sell Ozil to get the funds.

The situation is: Ozil is not asking Emery not to play him, or he is faking injury to get his paycheck by not playing.
It is Emery not playing him.

The question should be asked by the board/management, “why the fuck you Emery not playing him while we are paying him 350k per week???”

If they want to sell him, sell him ASAP

DO NOT FUCKING BLAME THE GUY’S PAYCHECK BECAUSE THE CLUB OFFERED HIM AND PAID HIM THAT MUCH.

1 Like

Indeed, the club wanted to build around him yet hired a manager that for some reason can’t use him(along with some others, like Elneny and Rambo).
Emery does have a bad track record at PSG where it seemed like he made more enemies than friends. While Ozil’s only incident I can consider vital(can’t consider the German NT fiasco as that was some A grade BS from them) was his very short time with Ancelotti where it ended up in us snapping him up. Granted that situation was heavily affected by the transfers of Isco and Bale at the time.

I’ll give you that, for sure.

I’m on the fence, which shouldn’t be a surprise given my post. But what I do know, and this isn’t exactly a brave opinion, is that between the two of them this situation needs fucking resolving and that should have happened months ago.

Nobody is looking good in this situation right now, even if Mesut’s PR team are handling their business well as usual.

1 Like

Did I ever blame Ozil for that? Ozil did everything that a pro should do to get the best deal for himself, and it worked. It was simply a very stupid decision made by the previous regime, but guess what, that also wasn’t Emery’s fault.

I agree that the situation is totally fucked up now, but again I reiterate the point that the last thing Emery would’ve wanted to do was come into this club and create a situation like this with our highest paid player, and a player who some of our fanbase consider to be an untouchable god. My suspicion is that they both can’t cover themselves in glory, but one of them is the boss of the other and calls the shots.

We’ll see how this develops; I just hope it’s finished soon.

Very valid point here. Between Emery, Raul and Sven you can be damn sure there’s some consensus/agreement on Emery’s handling of Ozil. He hasn’t gone totally left with his decisions

My frustrations was on everyone, not you.

Everyday I see threads mentioning his contract/paycheck and makes me furious.

Like you said, it wasn’t his fault, he earned it (in whatever way), and the club agreed to pay that.

Either sell him or play him.
Freezing him out makes everyone look stupid, especially Emery because we are not playing winning football. We are NOT WINNING or LOOKS LIKE WINNING without Ozil.

Yes, nobody is bigger than the club, not Ozil, and also NOT EMERY.

2 Likes

It’s a shame he’s not being used. His wages really aren’t the issue they’re made out to be if he was playing though. He’s probably going to cost us in wages over this contract what Aubameyang cost in fee alone.

2 Likes

Double post

I agree with pretty much all of that. I think that when people mention the contract, it isn’t much an attack on Ozil personally as it is the decision making of the club as a whole.

I think all of us are tending to pick a side in a situation in which blame can probably be spread around, and there’s no doubt that this is a fucking disaster now.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying Ozil was refusing to work or even that it was his fault.
I was just saying that for Ozil to Tweet that, “No matter what … put in the work,” is a bit unnecessary because it his is his job to stay fit, especially when every season you are taking home more money than you know what to do with.
It’s more a comment on rich footballers generally, where they seem to be under the impression that kicking a ball around for a few 100k a week is somehow hard work.

What would be a better response?
Or remain silent?

He’s a marketing celebrity. He has to post all kinds of shit on social media regularly to stay relevant.

I’m sure if they’d posted a picture of him doing something else people would be moaning that he wasn’t working hard.

7 Likes

Is that a fair criticism of Emery though? Would you prefer a manager who didn’t have plans ( and vision which would precede those plans) but had a rather reactionary approach, far too often swung by the pressure of the public opinion?

I think more often than not, if you want to make a change, you have to stick to your principles and you have to do what you believe in, withstanding the pressure from outside. You also need the people who gave you power to believe in you and let you work long enough so that your ideas could get rooted into the soil you are ploughing on.

Wenger had a vision for this club and we let him work on his vision for 15 years before we realized his vision had no ambition. What bought him this leeway was the success he earned thanks to the circumstances. Emery operates under different circumstances and as a result, he will not be given such trust. But still, he deserves more than 3 months.

I could understand backing Ozil if there was a personal feud between the two, ala Mourinho. But whatever has happened between them, little evidence suggests that the rift is caused by something other than footballing philosophy.

Right now I prefer substance over style. I prefer points and victories over finesse, technique, vision and pure footballing ability that the fans love Ozil for. Ideally I’d have both, but that is up to Ozil to show that he can deliver, not Emery.

5 Likes

Tbh no one would be moaning if we hadn’t dropped points in 4 of our last 6 PL games.

When we beat Tottenham no-one was asking where Özil was. Maybe at the start but no one cared at full time.

As long as Özil is out that will be a stick Emery is beaten with when we drop points

2 Likes