Mesut Özil

Which makes him hella more ruthless ahaha.

Shape up or get shipped out, can’t say I’m mad at it.

11 Likes

We shouldn’t be surprised in hindsight, given at the start of the season apparently the team was going to be built around Ramsey (Then the contract debacle ensued), then we consider the Sevilla days when more CM-figure like players like Rakitic and Banega were playing the #10 role in his team, reinforced with more hardened players such as Krychowiak, M’Bia, N’Zonzi. Even at PSG he preferred a midfield composition of either Rabiot/Motta/Matuidi/Verrati.

More and more it seems clear that Ozil just isn’t Emery’s type of player at all, I’m not sure its about whether he presses or not or more than he just doesn’t have the defensive capabilities built into his game that Emery prefers out of all of his midfielders, perhaps the ‘buying into his ideas’ part is just Ozil simply can’t do what Emery wants rather than there being any personal problems. Which makes the January rumours make sense, might as well give the guy a clean slate at another club rather than waste yours and his time.

3 Likes

This most disheartening part about Ozil eventually leaving the club is going to be seeing a huge chunk of our fans blame absolutely everyone for it except him.

I yearn for the day where the wider pubic will honestly judge this player and look objectively at what he’s actually produced for us when chips have been down. Not the brilliant assists or flashes of genius he’s conjured up when sides like Sunderland or Huddersfield have visited the Emirates, but what he’s produced against the other top sides in the crucial matches. To be fair, even many of the away matches against inferior sides he’s been either anonymous on the pitch, or not even present at all.

Its obvious what’s happening now for anyone who wants to see it; Ozil simply doesn’t have the intensity off the ball and tactical application to be a mainstay in an Unai Emery team. The manager is doing the right thing for the club imo.

4 Likes

My take is that his back problems are nothing new, they were a thing before Emery took over, the problem to solve is more that we don’t utilise a traditional central #10 anymore so he might have to change positions a bit, and to do that well he needs a consistent run. I am convinced a match fit Özil is better than Iwobi and Micky in the role they currently have but I’d still want yet another “wide” player or whatever we call them.

1 Like

Sounds like Unai wants Ozil at his best or not at all. A half hearted Ozil is no good for him.

I love Mesut, but I will stand by the manager on this one.

8 Likes

A half hearted/ass Ozil is still better than half of the squad.

As I said earlier, I don’t mind cutting Ozil loose, if we have a replacement/plan.
Just don’t be double standard and easy on others.

We still have a bunch that is not living up to standard.
If we let Ozil go, half of the team must go also.

In a Wenger team yes, not in an Emery squad.

Unai’s got the players working harder and as a unit. Passengers are easily identified now. Ozil can’t get away with it anymore.

2 Likes

Dude, work harder does not mean better.
No/low quality is still no/low quality.

I am not saying Ozil can be excused, don’t get me wrong.
Whatever Emery is trying, or we are thinking, expecting, we want the team to be good. Work hard and play good, and get good results.

Okay, let’s say Ozil is lazy, you don’t want him because he is not getting the team better. That’s fine. Get someone that is good and willing to work hard.
In the meantime, we can have a bunch of work horse but they do not have the quality. They are not doing good for the team either. That’s what I am saying.
If you want the team good, okay, get rid of the lazy one(s), but also get rid of the “not so good, no/low qualities”.

Be fair, or I will say Emery takes it personal with Ozil, which is no good.

It’s a good thing for PSG he was unable to shift Neymar.

1 Like

Emery had a similar situation with Banega because his attitude but eventually figure it out and he become a key player. If the moron that Banega is could do it, Ozil should be doing it too.

3 Likes

Lol do you just hate every manager we get haha

I don’t hate Unai and I don’t think he’s poor, just wouldn’t have been in my top 5 choices as I want to see us challenge and in the CL and PL and I don’t think Unai is that guy.

you make out that every single manager on your shortlist was available or wanted to come here and take on the job with our structure.

A couple were definitely available. But yeah not all were.

This is the main reason I didn’t have a problem with the appointment. Emery was not on my radar at all and most supporters probably didn’t list him as one of their top choices, but when you looked at the pool of available managers at the time, there weren’t many desirable names who would slot into our structure. Either they weren’t good enough, or the managers we really wanted we couldn’t have gotten at the time.

We have to accept that we aren’t the most attractive option right now, but I’m mostly pleased with Emery so far.

3 Likes

Yeah I think that’s the gutting part to accept, we aren’t the most attractive destination at this point in time, but it’s still a more attractive job than it gets credit for.

In 2015 we were a more attractive destination than Liverpool when Klopp joined them though :cry::dizzy_face::rage:.

1 Like

That’s 100% true and that’s why the fact that we held on to Arsene and let him get away with murder for so long gets more infuriating every passing day.

We probably could’ve got Guardiola at one stage even if we had actually used our brains and planned our future.

3 Likes

As long as we know, NOT ALL the managers would like to come, and we DO NOT have the dream job in the world, we will feel a lot better.

1 Like

I love Mesut too. I think he put one week salary’s worth into a new venture in my town of Amsterdam.