Matteo Guendouzi

Is that a golden tooth? :rofl::joy:

1 Like

Torr and Ozil should be the pair, and Guen be the first to rotate and come out from the bench.

Reminds me of

2 Likes

Make them a 3, with AMN and Willock as backups plus another quality player I guess (but in reality, Xhaka)

I don’t mind, it depends on how Emery lineup the formation.

I like him, but isn’t it a bit soon to be throwing a new contract at him? He’s currently under contract until 2022 and it doesn’t seem like we’re under any pressure to bribe him into staying just Yet. I don’t see the need to double his salary after just one year – even if he is the second best young footballer in the world :smile:

2 Likes

2022 isn’t that far away. If we don’t do it now, after another season he’ll only have two years to go, and he’ll hold all the cards in terms of leverage, because he’ll know the longer he doesn’t sign on, the closer we get to losing him for nothing.

If the club rate him highly this is probably exactly the time to improve his contract and get it extended to 2024 or whatever. Edit: just seen it says 2023

Just ensuring we fend away other clubs lurking about. He’s attracted attention this season, no doubt about it. Also it’s a gesture from the club showing faith in him for his performances. I’m sure the agent came knocking on the door with a few valid reasons too lol.

2 Likes

A guestre would be throwing him an extra ten grand a week (how ridiculous does that sound). Doubling his money seems foolish. Almost Jenkinsonesque.

4 Likes

If he’s going to continue to play as much as he has this year then I think 75k a week seems commensurate.

Whether he should play as much, and whether he should be so highly rated are different questions. But if the club do rete him as highly as they seem to, and plan for him to continue to be a fairly key part of the squad, then it seems about right to me.

Jenkinsonesque seems a little harsh to me perhaps, but the proof will be in the pudding I guess! If he amounts to nothing then I’ll accept I’ve made a cunt of myself here haha

1 Like

If it gets extended to 2024 and Emery rates him it’s reasonable value I suppose.

I mean this in terms of the club over rewarding as opposed to a judgement on the player. Just not sure if that was clear from my initial post. :slight_smile:

You pay for the potentials… that’s reality
He is young, he has potentials (seems like), and he attracts attention from other club.
75k is not that bad.

Reading it back, I think I understood what you meant, but the use of “harsh” probably gives the impression I took it as a direct comparison of the two players :slightly_smiling_face:

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, as I said. If we don’t use him much or he turns out to be mediocre, you’ll be indisputably right. But if he continues to develop and becomes even more important, and we didn’t lock him down and he got to only having two years left, the higher ups would get absolutely slaughtered for not taking steps to tie him down sooner. There’d be incessant talk about not learning lessons about letting contracts dwindle down, and that’d be a valid point I reckon.

Which is why I think this is a sensible move if we rate him highly and want to make him a key part of the side, if that’s the case we have to protect his value in the event of a sale to a big team.

3 Likes

He just made 44 apps, if he plays in the EL finals it’s 45, any regular starter at a top European club should probably have at least close to that amount in salary. Combined with the fact that the kid is great and that other clubs will easily offer him £75k/w not just based on his current ability but the added bonus of his potential, it’s simple.

8 Likes

Also, for those who used to say we should cash in on him if a ridiculously good offer came in for him - this new contract makes that a little bit more of a reality

On the 75k a week though, I’m not clued up on what most of our first team is on but that does sound pretty punchy lol. Good luck to him

Edit: just realised I rephrased @JakeyBoy’s post lol

Too soon for that kind of money.

Many thought half of our dead wood in the past decade were big talents during their first season and I don’t think he’s a sure thing.

5 Likes

You don’t tie him up, you lose him for nothing, you wasted a whole year trying to grow him and play him that much.

This kid shows signs of potentials and it is not out of expectation from him to be a solid midfielder, if NOT a star player.

Please don’t be so fucking tight fist. We are capable to hand out this kind of contract.

Arsenal football club are at it again aren’t they?

Morons

Agreed.

He isn’t getting anywhere as many minutes at another top team and although it was generally a good debut season other clubs won’t be banging on the door, he is by no means a sure thing.

Next season could easily be one of regression or 2nd season syndrome.

Even Phil Fodens new deal is reportedly worth 30K a week, offering that much just isn’t good business.

5 Likes