Matteo Guendouzi

So what you’re saying is that the match reports and reviews of Huddersfield and Hertha supporters are the basis of your opinions.

Righty ho, will credit those guys for the brilliant insight rather than you who just regurgitates what somebody else has said. I know how important it is for you that people get the credit they deserve so making sure it goes to the right folks :+1:

4 Likes

L2 read plox :joy::joy:

Btw whoever mentioned Cunha, he’s had his moments but he’s very much like Pepe where instead of making the intelligent decision, he tries to dribble past 2 or 3 defenders and ends up killing a lot of good scoring opportunities. Very frustrating player imo.

Guendouzi is currently first for progressive passes at Hertha.
Third for progressive runs with the ball.

Not dribbled past as often as he was at Arsenal, which is some improvement.

I’d extend his contract. I wanted to sell him for a good fee, but that chance is gone, and it’s useless to sell him for something like 10m.

4 Likes

In terms of stats for midfielders it’s worth noting Modric never had particularly good stats. Good progressive ball carrying, press resistance and good forward passes that doesn’t create chances isn’t listed in most stats

We bought Partey for 50m and I think Guen could be that good with the right coaching.

Arteta falling out with players of value isn’t helping us. It didn’t help Guardiola when he fell out with Etoo and paid a shedload to get a worse player in Ibrahimovic in a player exchange.

4 Likes

How so? If not for the referee fucking up they make the final that year too. Probably beat Bayern also. Zlatan was huge for them btw the way in the first half of that season. Clash of personalities in the end.

He’s basically playing as a DLP and very rarely even comes close to the opponents box. He’s been progressing the ball and breaking lines with his passing. He’s clearly been instructed to play this way. Early in the season they were using him as more of a b2b and he scored 2 goals and won a pen as well.

1 Like

Fun fact about Guendouzi:

Out of the 20 matches he started last year, Arsenal managed 21 points.

Out of the 18 matches he didn’t start, we got 35 points.

The year before we also got fewer points per game in matches Guendouzi started.

Small sample but accords with the eye test, which shows a player with less talent than he thinks who loves to freelance and just doesn’t take care of his basic responsibilities on the pitch defensively and tactically. At the end of the day, football is a team game. Unless you have Messi level talent, if you don’t play within the team’s system with a certain level of discipline and predictability then you’re going to be a liability.

I hate these kind of stats :joy:. Guendouzi started against Liverpool (early in the season, not after they basically had the title in the bag), Spurs, United, City twice, Chelsea. Of course chances of losing points in those games are greater.

8 Likes

So he started a little more than half the games and also started against big sides a little more than roughly half the time? I’m not sure what that really proves. Its certainly not going to account for why we got 1 ppg with him in the lineup and 2 without him.

These stats should be interpreted with a grain of salt but in this case they accord with everything I can see about the player, which is that he hurts his team in all sorts of ways that don’t show up on a stat sheet. His defensive liabilities are the biggest ones and, again, you can see the pattern in the games he plays versus those he didn’t. We kept 7 clean sheets in the 15 matches he didn’t start. We kept 3 clean sheets in the 23 matches he did start. These are small samples but its not surprising that when your CM is always wandering around the pitch and is never in position to stop transitions and often not in the right place in your defensive shape and lazy about tracking runners then you’re not going to keep many clean sheets.

I bet if I go through these and look at the same fixture from this year we will have less than 21 points :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Only thing I’ll say in this kid’s defense is I don’t think Emery knew how to setup a midfield.

Torreira #10 was just putrid stuff.

I do wonder how Torreira would fit in if he returns. (Which I doubt)

With a midfield of potentially Xhaka, Partey, Guen, Odegard, Torreira, ESR- who would we pick and where?

1 Like

There are other variables…the biggest one being that Arteta changed his approach, after he banned Guendouzi, and went more on the defensive. If I remember correctly that Southampton game was when he first went 3-4-3…which lead to winning five out of the last eight and the Cup. Now you can have the opinion that that would not have been possible with Guendouzi. But there are, like I said, so many other variables to be taken into account. Coaching, strength of opponents and so on.

1 Like

Lots of variables but we played our best stuff without Guendouzi even before that. The 2-0 against United was without Guendouzi, the three match winning streak right before Covid hit was all without Guendouzi, even Freddy’s only win in charge was without Guendouzi. It was a fairly pronounced pattern over the course of the season.

Who did we play in that 3 game win streak?

Newcastle, Everton, and West Ham. Not powerhouses but the kinds of clubs that we were routinely not beating with Guendouzi in the side earlier in the season.

Yeah and Xhaka’s win percentage is about 60% with him in the team. You must be a big Xhaka supporter huh?

Agreed, but if we do sell the sell on clause is as important as the fee

Clown.

2 Likes

I thought the arm was pressing against his back

1 Like