Matteo Guendouzi

Would love to eat humble pie if he turns out to be as fucking great as so many seem to think he is/expect he will be.

Far from convinced tbh despite some undeniably impressive bits.

5 Likes

Impressive debut but overall I’m with you man, not a sure thing for me at all.

1 Like

I also agree.

Haven’t lost any faith in him yet because he has definitely shown some promise and he’s got cojones. Sometimes, and this may be harsh, he looks like a glossed over Elneny to me.

1 Like

Yeah, there are times when you think he looks like a really fucking tidy player. There are also a lot of times where he looks pretty fucking average.

But I get that that is definitely to be expected from a young’un from the French second tier in his first season playing pretty regularly at a big club. The signs are broadly positive overall imo, definitely. But I feel like it’s about 50/50 whether he becomes a baller or fucking average, I don’t get why some are really confident he’ll be amazing. I think perhaps it’s cos we’ve been starved of decent youngsters for years, whereas we used to have a regular stream of youngsters to excite.

Might be unfair of me, but it feels so specific to this context, I feel like ten to fifteen years ago we’d have barely given a fuck about him, or at least not to the same extent that we do now.

3 Likes

Guendawg will outperform Ndombele next season

1 Like

I think about forty percent of the reason I like him is the Sideshow Bob hair

They’re beautiful the two bobs. I love the kid, but when I keep saying he is great I mean for his age, not compared to the elite footballers. It can still go to shits ofc, but I do get that vibe from him that you’re watching someone that can actually be great because of the things he has at that age vs the things he does not, some things you can’t learn that he has, other things he doesn’t one can always learn sort of. But ultimately the top level of football takes no age into consideration, ultimately it is your actual performance that matters, and of course he has ways to go.

1 Like

And the other 60% is elite footballing ability?

1 Like

I don’t rate him because of his stupid running style and ugly body language

Even if he was good last year and has a lot of potential, it’s very possible he regresses next season. I can’t think of many young players who improved every single year until they made it.

For example, when Bellerin broke through many thought we had one of world footballs next big RBs but he was up and down after that. Ramsey started with a huge amount of promise then was up and down for years.

I still think it would be naive to be thinking about relying on him next year. I remember relying on Ramsey to be a first team player when he wasn’t ready contributing to his worst ever season for us.

CM is as big a problem as any in our team.

7 Likes

Nah mate, haven’t you heard? Players improve season after season.

Coincidentally two players who have been massively overrated by Arsenal fans from the start, especially Bellerin. There is a lot less noise around Guendouzi tbh.

I just wish Guendouzi had a midfield teammate to look up to and learn from.

He’s already better than the dross around him lol.

1 Like

Young Agent Matteo.

2 Likes

Ya I agree I don’t know if he just looks slow or is actually slow because of the weird hitch in his running form.

1 Like

Lol gently advised him. Matteo is such a gentle con-artist, talking William into learning his trade from Mustafi. What a sweet talker.

Fucking hell what a player. Unreal how young he is to be performing at this level.

7 Likes

Once again I missed the match, what did he do that was so great?

He existed.

1 Like

So he was more a deterent to the opposing midfield than traffic cone Xhaka? Got it.

3 Likes