Matteo Guendouzi

It says almost doubling his wages so I’m assuming he was on 40k/W which seems right for him, he’s not exactly asking for more money yet is he? Disagree with the pay rise.

For longevity’s sake, it’s not even a 5 year contract either, within 2 years we’re going to be looking at renewal once again.

4 Likes

Anything under 100k seems to be almost considered squad player wages now, maybe we’ve actually reached that stage.

If you took massive underachievers like Mkhitaryan off the books then upping Guendouzi to 75k is small fry

5 Likes

Because it’s us.

I really like him but I think we ought to sign him up for longer and in increments of pay increases. Not just a fat wage packet straight away. It makes future dealings more difficult.

Surely £75K across Europe is still a hefty amount for quality players?

1 Like

I’d rather pay him this, which isn’t excessive, and tie him down to a long term contract.

2 Likes

Even in the premier league 75k a week is probably in the top 30%. It’s nuts.

6 Likes

We’re one of the big six though, which is roughly the top thirty percent of the league, so as a general rule I’d expect a large proportion of our players to generally be in the top thirty percent of earners, approximately. Particularly those making forty plus appareances for us per season.

Would probably make the most sense to look at the other big five teams and then see what bracket a player like Guendouzi would fit into if they are earning 75k a week.

Or maybe it wouldn’t, I’m not covering myself in glory this morning let’s be honest

It becomes difficult to move these players when the eventual fade of freshness is replaced by dreadful shittiness

2 Likes

I love to read in the next two or three years when Guendouzi becomes one of our top players, which I have no doubt he will. What you lot who are writing him off will be saying then. Our fanbase is a joke, one minute they moan we don’t tie down our players to good contracts then they are moaning about given them contracts.

Weren’t we very pleased with Wilshere? In the end our academy product with a bright future ended up wasting away.

Not sure why everyone is so focused on Guendouzi. It is not hard to become one of “our” top player. It is hard to become a top player in the league.

Godin just left Atletico Madrid and apparently signed a 3 years contract with Inter Milan for €130k per week.

One season and we want to pay Guendouzi £75-80k?

He also played a full season here on much less I suspect. So if you want to get what you pay for you can think of it as paying him afterwards and if he’s shit next season just switch the salaries around in your head and we’ll sell him after that, could easily get the £7m back even if he has a shit season with his CV. No matter how I look at it £75k/w is ok by me, no biggie.

1 Like

Looks like he is on 40k pw fwiw.

It seems to me that the wage rise is linked to the duration of the contract. If the kid pushes on, which I think he will, then £75k will seem like a bargain.

And we wont need to renegotiate anything until 2022 at the earliest.

1 Like

Isn’t that when the contract expires according to reports?

Not sure.

Nah, 2023. According to that tweet anyway, I’ve done no further reading.

Yeah nobody is saying this. I don’t think it’s a joke to not want to double a player’s salary to get them to extend their 3 year deal to a 4 year deal.

And in 12 months time when he’s entering his final 3 years again, should we double his money again? Does this apply to all our players? A new contract every year?

Unless we’re truly tying him down long term (at least +2 years) I don’t see why any player needs to renegotiate their deal 9 months after signing it.

Put it this way, would this wage preclude any team from other leagues from taking him for a big fee if he’s shit?

If so, then this is a bad decision.

I love him, but the jury is out. No need for big money just yet.

3 Likes

Has 11 goals/assists in the PL last season, 10 goals/assists the season before, meanwhile Guendouzi had zero goals/assists. He had more twice as many key passes per game