Matteo Guendouzi

Or just bite the bullet and keep him in the squad this season, given that he’d basically out of the current crop be our second or third best midfielder. As a Guendouzi truther I’m always looking for a little bit of hope, but sadly I don’t see it happening.

3 Likes

The most obvious solution considering he does everything Xhaka does, but better, and he offers more in ball retention too because he can carry the ball as well as pass.

2 Likes

It isn’t the most obvious to our manager though who only wants to have good little boys in the squad who will toe the line, regardless of their quality and if it will actually improve us as a team. The Saliba situation is basically the same, you have a talented young prospect who is rough around the edges and maybe a bit of a prick but who is clearly good enough to be in the squad and isn’t because he’s not perfectly polished to Arteta’s standards.

3 Likes

The best scenario for me is to send Xhaka, Torreira and Elneny away and keep Willock with Guendouzi as backup to Partey and a new #8.
You have 2 all around world class #8 as your starters in Partey and the new #8, you have your backup all-arounder in Guendouzi and your goalscoring midfielder in Willock.

Granted, that requires owners who give a shit and invest so it ain’t happening. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

But Guendouzi is not good defensively. Just saying.

3 Likes

He’s good, not great. His engine definitely helps with it. It’s one of his best attributes for the French U21s.
He’s better than Tchouameni at it for example who is considered a rock in Ligue 1 currently.

1 Like

Yeah I’d rather have him in the midfield pressing than someone like Xhaka dropping off all the time. Guendouzi is still young enough that the details can be worked on also, I just don’t get why we’d give up on him just because he’s a bit of a dickhead.

1 Like

25m for Gerson and they want to pay 8m for Guendouzi?

3 Likes

Hertha Berlin also wanted to get Guendouzi but don’t think they have a chance with Marseille per Fabrizio.

Another L for lazy reporters who keep using the narrative that he fell out of favour there when he was essential to them staying up. :+1:

1 Like

Well there were quotes direct from the manager about how he was difficult to handle, and how he had to approach managing the kid a little differently than other players. But yeah, Hertha quite simply would not be in the top level of Germany right now if not for Guendo.

1 Like

Yep, they took those and run with them when Guendouzi kept playing. I think he missed one match in that period and that was it. He was back to starting matches in no time until his injury recently. :joy:

1 Like

They played him wayyyyy too much you could see a massive difference in his performances until they gave him that couple match breather.

1 Like

I hope there’s some sort of sell on clause too.

2 Likes

Yikes we are getting fucked on this. His value probably doubles or triples after about 10 matches lmaooo :joy::joy:

5 Likes

That’s a sickening deal if we’ve agreed to it :rofl:

Edu at his best

2 Likes

Calm, the guy reporting it is a rando. Aligns his posts according to other reports and adds his own twist to it.

3 Likes

This guy, who seems at least marginally more reliable, claims we activated the contract extension but are still in talks with Marseille with no agreement yet.

1 Like

The below is from a year ago.

2 Likes

Coach Smooth B at his best.

The real test is now how he handles Saliba and Martinelli.

2 Likes

An interesting point, not one I necessarily agree with though.

14 Likes