Match Of The Day

ITV and channel 4 are interested in the highlights package when the new contract goes to bidding

1 Like

I don’t see why in 2023 there’s a need for a highlights show, it’s all freely available online anyway.

Why should everything be online only?

9 Likes

Would be a coup for C4 to go with their international coverage. Part of me wants to see The Premiership make a comeback though as fond memories due to it coinciding with our very successful spell in the early 00’s.

1 Like

Just seems a bit of a dead format.

You need a terrestrial input. Champions League suffers without that package. Europa even more so.
Highlights alone is enough and just easier to access.

3 Likes

Seems like I dont watch it so no one should vibes

2 Likes

Still gets a couple of millions viewers every week, which is a lot for a “dead” format. For some people, it’s their only access to watching their team. It’s an institution.

Ridiculous to suggest there is no need for it.

4 Likes

Not really, it’s just how I feel about MOTD. The rest is just the fact that whenever someone expresses even the slightest disagreement to you, you get adversarial and defensive.

Perhaps, but it’s got to be a pretty expensive acquisition for whoever is broadcasting it. I wonder how worth it it really is, especially when last time I looked (I haven’t watched MOTD especially in its broadcast slot for some time) it’s a long watch.

I wonder if Gary will come out against the EU wanting to deport illegal migrants lol

Just because you have some weird agenda against MOTD doesn’t mean the rest of us shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy it

The word to describe what Gary is in is quandary. :grinning:

1 Like

The only funny thing about the Paddy Power tweet that said a shorter MOTD meant people could watch it and still go to the pub, is the assumption that anyone actually watches it while it’s on, rather than record it. :grinning:

That’s a fair point. I find it a long watch sometimes and tend to do it on iplayer and skip stuff.
I do enjoy motd 2 more tbh.

A lot of people won’t watch it through until the end though. Unless they’re a masochist/support Southampton.

2 Likes

Honestly can’t tell if that was tongue in cheek or not.

Little bit of both haha

It does seem like you have an agenda against MOTD and that you’re rooting for it to fail but I’m not really sure why as so many people still enjoy it.

Like yeah sure I fast forward through to the good matches but if an Everton fan wants to watch the highlights of their game against Wolves with some analysis from the pundits what the issue?

1 Like

The Premiership had the best theme song ever.

Think I posted it in this thread last week

It’s a bit of a pedantic view but I don’t really count it as a theme song given it was a number 1 for U2 in I don’t know how many countries.

4 Likes