Mat Ryan

That’s more communication in one half than Leno has given all season :+1:

Haven’t seen any reliable sources address his situation. In fact, they tend to omit that we’re targeting a GK in the summer.
I reckon that’s because the deal to get Ryan on a permanent is already being discussed.
Let’s not forget, we literally announced him out of the blue in January.

2 Likes

Far better than Leno, commanding in the area, spoke to the defenders regularly and didn’t drop a catch, granted it was only Newcastle but his resilience and calmness affected the team positively. Play him over Leno, need the competition.

Come on now. It’s been like three games.

Ive seen enough same with Martinez and we sold him

3 Likes

Kind of with Mo here, he is much more vocal and commanding. Don’t think you need a whole lot of games to see that. I think he’s earned more games.

2 Likes

He was one of the worst in the PL, when he was playing for Brighton. He was rightfully dropped, and then replaced by someone who had never played in the PL before.

Not sure how you can be rewarded with a move to Arsenal, by playing like that. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I’d be perfectly happy for us to sign him as back up.

2 Likes

Mat Ryan might not be our future, but I don’t feel like Leno should be either. He is so fucking shaky, I know our set up sucks and all that, but he should, maybe unfairly, stand above that.

4 Likes

I really like him too but he’s a back up level goalkeeper, don’t think he has what it takes to be number one at a club like ours. Perhaps that’s a little unfair though, Martinez showed that keepers can absolutely go from zero to hero if they get the minutes to prove it.

Saying that I do believe that if you were to watch Ryan or Martinez over a 3 to 4 year period you would see an abundance of howlers and mistakes.

1 Like

Sign him as backup and sell that fraud Leno. Then my guy Big Emi comes back a hero and becomes #1

2 Likes

Pass.

a) He’s Australian

b) His name is Mathew, with a single T, I mean what the fuck.

5 Likes

New arsenal - nepotism

I’d happily have him as a no 2 keeper, but yeah he isn’t good enough to be a no 1 keeper if we actually want to take positive strides as a club.

1 Like

I would have him as backup. Having a vocal and commanding presence is too underrated. Most people have never played as a goalkeeper and fail to understand this.

3 Likes

Leno talks just as much as any keeper

I have absolutely no issue signing this guy permanently to be our number 2/cup keeper.

He seems like the perfect number 2 for a club like ours, and certainly miles better than Runarsson.

4 Likes

Good shout
He looked far more solid than Leno

1 Like

He’s deputized fine, but this is such classic OA. Our starter in whatever position is shit probably because our tactics and shit coaching, so the backup comes in and does somewhat decent with a small sample size and then everyone wants to sign him and replace the starter. Rinse repeat. Let’s deal with the real issue which is the shit manager, thanks.

3 Likes

Leno isn’t even shit he’s been one of our best and most consistent performers over the last 3 years. He’s just been dunked on at times because he’s got a literal circus in front of him.

I don’t even care if he goes in summer but people saying he’s shit are crazy when we had to watch through the likes of Almunia, Fabianski, baby Wojiech and Ospina.

A goalkeeper’s consistency is directly linked to his defense as well, when Liverpool were secure at the back Alison was the best in the league, when they started faltering this season so did he.

Leno is one of the few players in the squad who is genuinely top 4 quality. If we’re replacing him it’s because he’s fed up with us not the other way around.

7 Likes