Martin Ødegaard (c) (8)

Why he only play 1600 minutes?

Pepe was in the top 5 for minutes played from Christmas onwards so you’d expect that to continue next season. The Willian minutes went on too long but that’s in the past now. There were a few times in the 2nd half of the season he missed out to ESR, Ødegaard and Saka but I don’t think you could complain about that. For instance v Leeds and the NLD. Let’s keep in mind that he isn’t exactly Mo Salah and can blow hot and cold.

1 Like

Hahaha I know what you’re trying to do here.

Yeah Arteta was obsessed with his Willian signing and couldn’t not bare to play him in the first 40 % of the season 🥲:grimacing::sob:

2 Likes

I hope we don’t sign him and use the money to buy Grealish, who will evidently cost more

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with this, if Odegaard going to cost us around £50/60m then we may as well stump up the extra cash and go for Grealish.

4 Likes

If Grealish goes he’s probably got a choice of clubs competing for the league in currently in CL for 21/22

1 Like

Yeah but he loves Bukayo and the Emirates is his favourite ground :heart:

6 Likes

How many of those clubs need Grealish though? They all have different needs plus with us he’s a guaranteed starter as opposed to being a rotation option.

He’d start at any club in the league imo, but Liverpool could really do with him.

I don’t think Liverpool will spend the required fee unless they sold Mane/Salah to fund it.

Man City don’t really need him but they might get him anyway.

To be honest I think he stays at Villa another season.

1 Like

City, Liverpool and Man Utd are actively looking for a winger.

The Euros will be key for him. I can see PSG or Madrid going mad over him and try to sign him.

As I said before, I think he stays at Villa and re-evaluates his choices next summer.

United will get Sancho. They won’t get Grealish as well.

5 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned it in another post. But it’s yet another club that is actively seeking for a winger. If Dortmund try to delay the deal again I can see Utd re-evaluating their options.

1 Like

I don’t want to rule anything out, as last summer it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to scoff at the notion of us signing a player like Partey, a few years back we bagged Auba as a Europa League side etc. If you get a clear run at a player, then who knows what can happen.

But I can’t help but feel like the people calling on us to sign Grealish are living in a bit of a dreamland. Personally, I really can’t see us being able to attract him this summer, he’s fully blown up and could have his pick of clubs before having to consider eighth place Arsenal.

6 Likes

Not sure Grealish can afford another season at Villa.
He’s 26 in September add another season and at 27 think contract wise it’s looked at different.
Personally I’d question on him staying at Villa especially as he’s done the loyalty bit. We will see in the Euros how good he really is now.
As it stands right now we haven’t seen him tested on a big stage. This in itself says a lot imo because he should want that now.
Yeah unfortunately that would take him likely away from us but he needs to leave Villa.

2 Likes

It’s about whether clubs are in for you though, he can be open for a move but advocating for one without a serious bidder on the table won’t do much for him.

The issue for him getting a move to a top club is that they most likely have similar kind of players and therefore other priorities.

With that said he shouldn’t have signed that extension.

1 Like

Let’s be real here. If you’re Kane, Grealish or Zaha and the club puts a 10-20 million pound contract (the full worth over the duration) in front of you, are you really going to refuse that? That estimate might be low even.

The argument against is that that they would have gotten that anyway…except when they signed on the dotted line, they didn’t. That is why they sign. An actual offer in stead of what might happen.

That a fair point about the money but even Kane may struggle to get the move he wants now.

Zaha was always going to be screwed signing that deal as he just isn’t that good for a club to pay top dollar, Grealish is but again considering he impact of Covid he may have to wait quite a while.

At the end of the day these guys print money as is, committing more years can cost you time playing for the biggest honours. At the very least they should be getting a release clause included for clubs in the CL, Kante had something to that effect at Leicester iirc.

2 Likes

How weird is it that Ancelotti is again in position to decide whether we would get a player or not. First Ozil now Odegaard

1 Like