Manchester City Vs Arsenal (PL)

That was certainly a major criticism, but this season isn’t over yet and if we get top 4 or win the Europa League, then he has done so. I also think there are players such as Holding, Bellerin, Iwobi (generally), Xhaka (generally), and Lacazette who have clearly improved under him. Unfortunately, the two best cases of those have now been badly injured.

I’ve also made this point numerous times now, but I will again because it’s completely relevant: Every single player we had last season, and the majority of the ones we still have were chosen by Wenger.

It’s a different thing to criticize a manager who had years upon years to build a squad than it is to criticize a guy who’s been in the door for six months, hasn’t had enough time to get rid of the dross and also hasn’t been backed enough in the market yet.

2 Likes

@arsenescoatmaker is actually talking facts it was a common theme amongst a lot of us.

It feels like the narrative have been shifting back and forth;

I’m not sure Emery has a distinctive style of play tbh. Not like Klopp or Guardiola. Which isn’t a bad thing per se.

1 Like

I don’t think those players have improved much if at all. Bellerin is still every big as suspect defensively. Holding has shown this level in the past but maybe is progressing. Iwobi looks physically stronger from pre-season but still hasn’t improved his end product. And Xhaka is being protected by 2 other CMs and is still regularly assisting the opposition.

Importantly our best player of last season in Ozil has played poorer under Emery and has now been frozen out. For me that certainly is worthy of criticism.

3 Likes