Manchester City Vs Arsenal (PL)

We weren’t very good, but give some credit to City too.

Still, one colossal error by Iwobi for the first and ineffectual defending by Iwobi and others for third killed our chances.

It’s nice to see Emery continue the “I’ll keep picking you no matter how bad you play” philosophy, from Wenger. :grinning:

He hasn’t done that though, with Moose as possible exception. But when you have 3 starting defenders out injured and one youngster just coming back from injuries, I think you can cut him some slack.

If Holding and Papa were healthy, he would not be starting.

1 Like

Seriously, what did you expect after 14 years of nothing? Emery should be given at least 2 more years.

1 Like

Why do you say 14 years of nothing ? 2005 we achieved 83 points, 2006 made a CL final, 2008 83 points & 2009 CL SF, so I wouldn’t say that’s 14 years of nothing.

A decade then. Think his point stays valid.

1 Like

Yeah all I want is a slight alternation saying 10 years or something in the top comps, being picky I know.

I understand 83 points isn’t winning the league or anything, but I think we’re all dying for a season like that now :joy:.

so once in 30 years?

Well city wont get a ton this season but if they win the title this season it probably mean more than last season.
Moving the goalposts there but you get the drift. Whatever it takes it takes. Dont have to beat the world record to win a gold medal at the olympics.

2002, 2009 and this season if we wanna get technical. Just didn’t include 2009 as that wasn’t the bagging period for Liverpool given they made two CL finals winning one of them in that period.

I was talking about dross Liverpool from 2010-2016 I suppose you’d say.

I do enjoy context.

The board’s target is CL qualification, so Wenger underachieved for 2 years by the boards standards. Emery has 2 years to get us in the CL or he’s out of a job.

1 Like

Indeed. 2 years, not 6 fucking months.

1 Like

Agreed that a manager needs 2 seasons or there’s no point giving him the job in the first place. The problem is I don’t think Emery is doing a good job with the assets he has. He’s wasted Ozil and Ramsey while while Iwobi keeps getting gametime. And he’s playing obviously failing players like Xhaka, Mustafi and Lich.

The results also aren’t better than under Wenger. So everyone that said ‘the players and squad are good but Wenger can’t train them or use tactics’ is seemingly either proved wrong or have to admit Emery also isn’t capable. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

By all means give Emery 2 years to build his own squad for his tactics but I’m not overly optimistic. For me the real problem has always been restrictions imposed at board level.

3 Likes

I haven’t read anywhere someone saying our squad is good enough. The squad is a shambles, massively imbalanced. We have a diabolic back five.

We need a proper defence. Emery needs two seasons to prove his worth.

Some top managers haven’t had good starts in the past only to start winning trophies left right and center when given the chance to make the team their own.

1 Like

When Wenger was in charge the criticism was always ‘another manager would get more out of this group of players’

1 Like

Real problem is that nobody feels that Emery is making the best of a bad situation in any sense. There’s been tons of questions discions that are totally independent of the board. There no real semblance of visible style that were working towards.

The approach to the summer window will be telling. It’s clear Emery has a reasonable say in strategy.

Still not over Wenger leaving?

1 Like

He’s not wrong though.

The same issues are there.

It was fair to think a new manager might improve these pricks. A new voice can work wonders

2 Likes