Manchester City

In terms of quality, Fabregas and Ozil probably had higher peaks. But neither are club legends because they didn’t play for the shirt at a top level for long enough. Silva produced on a constant basis for 9 seasons. Only Aguero and Kompany have the same level of sustained achievement for them.

LOL.
1 Like

One thing I will say is that putting up a statue of Silva is akin to us putting one up of Pires.

Although Pires was magnificent for us (and I’d take him every day over Silva for the record), he’s probably competing with Vieira and 4th in line after Adams, Henry and Bergkamp in the Wenger era. Thinking about it, one of Rocky or Wrighty should get one next at the Emirates, if we are to get any more.

Kompany should be first in line imo, then Aguero when he retires. Silva is 3rd on that list (and Yaya might have something to say about that btw).

Also, its weird to put up a statue of a player whilst they’re still playing. Wait until they’re retired at least. Trying to “create history” before a bloke is even actual history. Small time bullshit.

3 Likes

We did that with Henry, no? Pretty sure his statue was up before he came back to us for his loan spell.

2 Likes

Not sure it really matters about if or who they make a statue of.
It’s a new stadium and a club whose history was on hold up to the last decade.
A bit of garnish and trying too make themselves feel a bit more relevant to the new fans. Not really anything to get upset about.
Hate this club for many reasons, but this isn’t registered on my concerns with them.

1 Like

I have no problem with Man City putting up a statue of any of their players as long it’s made of plastic.

2 Likes

“He may be cast in bronze, but he’s still capable of producing truly golden moments”

1 Like

See a lot of people saying Kompany should get a statue before Silva. I think this bit slipped through the net

I did not expect this debate to blow up quite in this manner when I made the initial post. I think my work here is done. :hipster:

Yeah actually they are planning to make Silva, Kompany, and Aguero statues.

Too much debate about nothing :rofl:

Would be pretty funny if they accidentally built a statue of Balotelli :joy:

Not quite. There are still people who rate Hazard.

1 Like

I guess I will continue my god given mission to spread the truth about that fraud.

I want one of them statues to turn out like

Silva getting a statue is a bit odd IMO. He’s been a class player during his time there, but there are more deserving and instrumental players to their recent history such as Kompany and Aguero, who as Sol rightly said should be ahead of Silva. Both the aforementioned have been absolute icons for their oil club and without them wouldn’t have had half the success.

This just feels like forced history making for the club. Proper weird.

2 Likes

Kompany is getting a statue too and Aguero is still playing there.

Not sure what all the fuss is about, he’s been instrumental in the transformation of the club after a decade of tenure.

1 Like

Definitely doesn’t feel organic at all, feels very forced.

I think it’s mainly because Silva is still playing and Kompany just retired. Then again I have Silva, Aguero, Yaya on the same level with Kompany just above as real icon of the club

Are people still debating this? Jesus. We’re not Man City fans. It’s not up to us to determine who is a legend for another club. If they want to build a statue of Paddington Bear or Stephen Ireland then that is up to them.

But for what it’s worth building statues of Silva and Kompany seems pretty reasonable to me.

6 Likes

Considering his hissy fits for not being wished on his birthday, Imagine the fuss Yaya Toure will create if he is overlooked for a statue.

1 Like

LOL.

2 Likes