Managers XI

Make up a first 11 of players who were both good / decent managers and good / decent players.

GK: Zenga
CB: Trapattoni
CB: Beckenbauer
CB: Koeman
RM:
CM: Carlo Ancelotti
CM: Pep Guardiola
CM: Zinedine Zidane
LM:
AM: Cruyff
ST: Zagallo
ST: Rinus Michels

Zenga 
    Trap - Beckenbauer - Koeman 
 RM - Don Carlo - Pep - Zizi - LM
                    CRUYFF
          Zagallo - Michels 

Let’s fill in the blanks with some obvious ones…

2 Likes

Rinus Michels up front?

1 Like

Simeone and Rijkaard come to mind. People think he only had one good job, Rijkaard, but I don’t think you win two titles and a Champions League by accident.

5 Likes

Yeah Rijkaard is a good mention as well. He should make the bench at least

1 Like

I agree on Rijkaard. He spearheaded the Barcelona revival and doesn’t get enough credit for it.

2 Likes

A lot of midfielders. Deschamps and Conte had great careers as footballers too…

3 Likes

I had them on my shortlist for midfield positions. I think the three I chose speak for themselves though. You could easily argue that all 3 are great players and great managers.

Mario Zagalo has to be in there surely

2 Likes

Superb choice.

Heynckes was a forward. Can’t say I’ve seen him play tho hehe.

1 Like

It’s a shame Maradona was such a poor manager. He’d be a shoe in surely.

Missed the obvious shout here :wright:

1 Like

An Arsenal forum that doesn’t mention George Graham. Shame on you all

3 Likes

One of the more recent guys is Roberto Mancini btw. Sampdoria when he was a part of it won a lot. Serie A, 4 or 5 Coppa Italia, Cup Winners’ Cup, reached the final against Barcelona in '92.

3 Likes

I would say both Gullit and Vialli were good managers. Chelsea were garbage pre Abramovic, and those two were responsible for a league cup and a resurgence in the league. Remember one season they were in contention for the title as well before Gullit randomly got the sack.

Keegan and Dalglish should be in there,

4 Likes

Meh as managers they didn’t really attain that much. Chelsea were investing a decent amount pre-Abrahimovic bringing in the Italian contigent with Zola, Vialli, Di Mateo and they had Deschamps and would bring in Haselbaink.

In terms of League titles, FA Cups and European Cups as manager and player King Kenny is probably near the very top

3 Likes

Maybe Alf Ramsey at RB? Not quite at the level of some of the others but I’m having trouble thinking of anybody else.

1 Like

Alex Ferguson also, he scored 171 goals in 317 games as a player